• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes you are correct. J6-3 is what you would use for the voltage output. The other supplies are for powering input circuitry if used. I recently completed a design using this module and I was going from memory.

Thank you very much for your help.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Thank you for the information. Still not clear about the following though:
According to the datasheet:

If I understand right, you are suggesting I should wire J6.1 that is "Positive auxiliary supply" via a switch to J6.9 that is PS Enable to manually put the amp in and out of standby mode?

Then how about J6.3, what would J6.3 be used for and isn't already internally wired to J6.9 to put the main SMPS on after a time delay?

View attachment 159445
I
It is J6.3 (Regulated Standby) and J6.9 (PS Enable) that when jumped, either by a switch, direct wiring, or some sort of trigger/relay will bring the module out of Standby and fully powered on.

J6.1 (Positive auxiliary supply) is one source often used for LED's and such

Richard Berg

New Rackmount case:
19" wide front plate (standard rackmount configuration) x 13" deep x 2U height:
- Can fit all configurations up to 8 channels

Does this mean "all the same configurations as shown above"? Or does the rackmount case also enable 8x NC502? (not possible in the 'Large' case)

PaPoMusik

UPDATED 9/27/2021
Current build lead time: first week of January 2022 (taking second half of December off for travel and family)
*Down payments are allowed due to the long wait times*

Official review by Amir
Official teardown by Amir

Hey all,

Long-time A/V enthusiast with an extensive history on the AVS forums and more recently following this site for all the technical and objective expertise. After months of looking for the best amplifier setup over the summer, I went a DIY route and built a 4-channel NC502MP and 6-channel NC252MP build using Modushop cases. One of the reasons for the DIY route was the lack of sellers in the US, and at the time of my needs the offerings of US sellers was limited.

I found putting my amplifiers together a fun "hobby"/relaxing during the nights after I got home from school (working on a PhD currently). So I got to thinking, could I offer a no frills, low cost option for US buyers without much overhead/need to charge more than necessary to turn a small profit while providing a quality product? After a couple of weeks of spitballing and working on a case prototype that is cost effective, I believe the answer is yes.

Builds are based off the Hypex Main Powered NCORE modules:
NC502MP
- 2x450w @ 2ohm
- 2x500w @ 4ohm
- 2x350w @ 8ohm

NC252MP
- 2x180w @ 2ohm
- 2x250w @ 4ohm
- 2x150w @ 8ohm

PRICING:
Large 6/8ch Case (17"x13"x3.5") w/logo on front:

8 channel NC252MP, XLR inputs (Neutrik), Mogami wiring, 12v trigger, Power LED (Blue) = $1549 shipped
6 channel NC502MP
, XLR inputs (Neutrik), Mogami wiring, 12v trigger, Power LED (Blue) = $1649 shipped
6 channel NC252MP,
XLR inputs (Neutrik), Mogami wiring, 12v trigger, Power LED (Blue) = $1199 shipped

Medium 4ch Case (12"x12"x3.5") w/logo on front:
4 channel NC502MP, XLR inputs (Neutrik), Mogami wiring, 12v trigger, Power LED (Blue) = $1049 shipped
4 channel NC252MP,
XLR inputs (Neutrik), Mogami wiring, 12v trigger, Power LED (Blue) = $779 shipped

Small 2ch Case (7"x12"x3.5") w/logo on front:
2 channel NC502MP, XLR inputs (Neutrik), Mogami wiring, 12v trigger, Power LED (Blue) = $649 shipped
2 channel NC252MP
, XLR inputs (Neutrik), Mogami wiring, 12v trigger, Power LED (Blue) = $499 shipped

*Neutrik speakON connectors are now available as an optional add-on for all amps: $30 extra

New Rackmount case:

19" wide front plate (standard rackmount configuration) x 13" deep x 2U height:
- Can fit all configurations up to 8 channels
- Cost is an additional $150 (regardless of channel count)
- If adding Neutrik speakON option, additional cost of $50

- For those who know they do not need a 12v trigger at all, I can knock $5 off the price per module (so 2 channel amps would be $5 off, 4 channel amps $10 off, etc)
- Discounts available for those purchasing two or more amp builds
- Mixing and matching NC502's and NC252's is an option
- International shipping is available

PM or email me directly ([email protected]) for buying or if you have any questions at all

Ghent Installation:

- For those who want a really small 2 channel build, I will now accept shipment of/can order for the customer a Ghent Audio case (w/all installation hardware) to my address, upon which I will install either an NC502MP or NC252MP module and then ship the completed build back:
* $425 charge for NC502 ($660 if I order the case)
* $325 charge for NC252 ($500 if I order the case)
Hi Buckeye

Uff, after a marathon reading of this 58 thread, I just want to congratulate you for the commendable work and effort in carrying out this project for the benefit of those of us who love this hobby.

I am very impressed by all that you have achieved so far. What you started as a hobby and then, evolved as a company, is really very, very impressing and we are witnessing in "live show" how it is becoming a great business success story

I only wish you the greatest success in your life and may God give you well-being and health to successfully meet all your personal and professionals goals

As many others, very soon this week, I will be ordering a 6 or 8 Ch

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Silly question: there is a trigger switch, and a main power switch; are they both in the right positions?

TimSchirmer

One quick update, picked up a pair of livewire XLR male to RCA female adapters hoping that this would get me some sound, but the XLR connectors were too big and the cable wouldn't fit onto the amp without breaking something. This was like my 3rd trip to guitar center trying to find a solution. The gentleman I bought it from was using a pair of benchmark rca to xlr(m) cables, so I ordered a pair and I really hope that solves the problem. Maybe we could put together a list of adapters and cables here besides (including the monoprice 4777) that are known to work with these amps for future buckeye buyers.

Last edited:
OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
One quick update, picked up a pair of livewire XLR male to RCA female adapters hoping that this would get me some sound, but the XLR connectors were too big and the cable wouldn't fit onto the amp without breaking something. This was like my 3rd trip to guitar center trying to find a solution. The gentleman I bought it from was using a pair of benchmark rca to xlr(m) cables, so I ordered a pair and I really hope that solves the problem. Maybe we could put together a list of adapters and cables here besides (including the monoprice 4777) that are known to work with these amps for future buckeye buyers.
Ohhh, was this an amp you purchased off of another owner?

Is it one of my older cases? Those had an issue where the XLR cutouts were barely big enough and could cause a little bit of pressure on the housing making some XLR connections tight.
AFAIK from feedback, the current cases I am using are working great for a range of XLR cables as the connectors are no longer tight fitting.

Shanman

Forum Donor
Tim- I have the Ghent case version and had issues with the Monoprice XLR to RCA cables being super tight. I went with the Worlds Best Cables very similar to what you posted (same Neutrik XLR but different style RCA's) and zero fitment problems now.

TimSchirmer

Tim- I have the Ghent case version and had issues with the Monoprice XLR to RCA cables being super tight. I went with the Worlds Best Cables very similar to what you posted (same Neutrik XLR but different style RCA's) and zero fitment problems now.
I did try to buy one from Dylan, but there was a lead time going into 2022, then the next day one showed up for sale second hand.

The Worlds Best Cables had no trouble with fit (that was just the XLR to RCA adapters I tried) however these particular Worlds Best Cables weren't giving any sound from my Node 2i to the amp. I think they were made to go from XLR output to RCA input only, not vice versa.

I read somewhere that a proper xlr to rca should be wired as follows:

RCA shield to pin 1 of XLR connector (XLR connection for shield)
RCA shield to pin 3 of XLR connector (XLR connection for signal "cold")
RCA center pin to pin 2 of XLR connector (XLR connection for signal "hot")

I'm really hoping the cables are the issue here and the amp didn't get damaged in shipping. I ordered the exact same cables that the amp's last owner was using, which were made by Benchmark.

The only other thing I can think of that is slightly anomalous is that when I turn the amp on without the 12v trigger in the on position, I get no blue indicator light, but with the 12v trigger on, it lights up.

TimSchirmer

Ohhh, was this an amp you purchased off of another owner?

Is it one of my older cases? Those had an issue where the XLR cutouts were barely big enough and could cause a little bit of pressure on the housing making some XLR connections tight.
AFAIK from feedback, the current cases I am using are working great for a range of XLR cables as the connectors are no longer tight fitting.
Yeah, I was going to order one from you, but there was a backlog and one came up for sale, and I assumed you were quite busy with orders already.

This is the case:

So far anything neutrik fits, but not the adapter from livewire.

Attachments

• buckeye.jpg
    buckeye.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 99
OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I did try to buy one from Dylan, but there was a lead time going into 2022, then the next day one showed up for sale second hand.

The Worlds Best Cables had no trouble with fit (that was just the XLR to RCA adapters I tried) however these particular Worlds Best Cables weren't giving any sound from my Node 2i to the amp. I think they were made to go from XLR output to RCA input only, not vice versa.

I read somewhere that a proper xlr to rca should be wired as follows:

RCA shield to pin 1 of XLR connector (XLR connection for shield)
RCA shield to pin 3 of XLR connector (XLR connection for signal "cold")
RCA center pin to pin 2 of XLR connector (XLR connection for signal "hot")

I'm really hoping the cables are the issue here and the amp didn't get damaged in shipping. I ordered the exact same cables that the amp's last owner was using, which were made by Benchmark.

The only other thing I can think of that is slightly anomalous is that when I turn the amp on without the 12v trigger in the on position, I get no blue indicator light, but with the 12v trigger on, it lights up.
The switch you are referring to isn't to turn on the 12v trigger on. That switch is to turn the amp "On" when not using a 12v trigger.

So if you are using a 12v trigger, that switch would be Off (in the closed position). If not using a 12v trigger, that switch should be in the On (open) position.

Godataloss

Received my amp and ran it extensively over the weekend. I'm happy to report I am quite impressed. Zero, and I mean zero background noise on my 100+ db speakers- even with my ears right up to the drivers. From that inky black background springs a wonderfully natural sound and effortless power. Good detail at all volume levels. I have yet to hear any type of distortion at any volume level I dared to play it at. I left it on all weekend and it never even got warm to the touch- as a tube amp guy this is akin to voodoo magic. Very happy with my purchase and I'm sure I will be buying again.

I would like to also vouch for Worlds Best Cables. I'm using both the fully balanced and an rca to xlr and the quality is superb in a cable less than $30. They are nicely flexible and the connectors fit the Buckeye with a satisfying snap and work well.

Proud to be rocking it local as well- keep up the good work Buckey Amps! O-H!

TimSchirmer

Received my amp and ran it extensively over the weekend. I'm happy to report I am quite impressed. Zero, and I mean zero background noise on my 100+ db speakers- even with my ears right up to the drivers. From that inky black background springs a wonderfully natural sound and effortless power. Good detail at all volume levels. I have yet to hear any type of distortion at any volume level I dared to play it at. I left it on all weekend and it never even got warm to the touch- as a tube amp guy this is akin to voodoo magic. Very happy with my purchase and I'm sure I will be buying again.

I would like to also vouch for Worlds Best Cables. I'm using both the fully balanced and an rca to xlr and the quality is superb in a cable less than $30. They are nicely flexible and the connectors fit the Buckeye with a satisfying snap and work well.

Proud to be rocking it local as well- keep up the good work Buckey Amps! O-H!
Good to hear! Do you have a link to the XLR to RCA you ordered? I want to see if it's similar to mine as the one I have wasn't producing any sound.

Godataloss

TimSchirmer

I ordered basically the same thing but with Mogami wire.

I'm not getting any sound out of the amp. I thought the cables were the issue so I ordered another XLR to RCA from Benchmark to be sure, but if yours work, I suspect mine may have gotten damaged in shipping.

Top Bottom