• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

Jbrunwa

Regarding trigger, no matter how many modules your amp has, there is only 1 relay that is triggered, so the power draw per amplifier build (case, not modules) is the same (9v minimum, 70mA).
Internally, the relay jumps one Vout Standby from a single module to all of the PS Enable pins of the modules installed. The same goes for the backup Standby switch on the back (if the relay fails, this will still allow jumping the PS Enable pin on each module).

The mA draw of the relay I use is higher than most (I believe 30-40mA is common) but they are heavy duty "automotive" grade relays meant/rated for tens of thousands of turn on/off sequences without issue.
I guessed wrong. Thanks for the info!

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
And my trigger out on the Yamaha rx-a1000 states this in the manual,
TRIGGER OUT ...................................... 2 (12 V/total 100 mA max.)

The way I read that is that both triggers can MAX put out 100mA together and the two buckeye amps would be 140mA. So I would be over that with just those.
Emotiva trigger box it is.
Most likely correct. My HTP-1 states 200mA total and has four outputs and when I inquired with Monolith they stated what your surmised about your Yamaha: the total is split among all outputs.

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Most likely correct. My HTP-1 states 200mA total and has four outputs and when I inquired with Monolith they stated what your surmised about your Yamaha: the total is split among all outputs.
Oh, that means you need something besides the htp-1, three of your amps would be too much for it.
Just send the htp-1 as a “gift” with my order. I’ll be happy to store it for you. It will work fine for me ;)

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Haha. I was very close to getting a Trinnov but in all honesty the HTP-1 and Dirac is plenty for me

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I guessed wrong. Thanks for the info!

And, I guessed right, for once!

But, much as I like my new Buckeye Amp, ain't nobody getting my SDP-75... :D

I have a vague memory that it was an older Denon that a guy fried the trigger circuit with a 100+ mA relay; Denon said it was rated for 50 mA. Don't quote me, I may be wrong. And at the time I was explaining why snubber diodes and a bit of RC was critical across relay coils and contacts to prevent large voltage spikes, so I am not sure what exactly blew out his AVR's trigger circuit. The Emotiva repeater was cheap insurance for many $$$ worth of components.

I built a trigger circuit using a small relay to switch a 12 V wall-wart through a small resistor to limit current if when I accidentally short the output. I can source about 750 mA. More than enough margin. I suppose that means I need more amplifiers... :)

Jbrunwa

And, I guessed right, for once!

But, much as I like my new Buckeye Amp, ain't nobody getting my SDP-75... :D

I have a vague memory that it was an older Denon that a guy fried the trigger circuit with a 100+ mA relay; Denon said it was rated for 50 mA. Don't quote me, I may be wrong. And at the time I was explaining why snubber diodes and a bit of RC was critical across relay coils and contacts to prevent large voltage spikes, so I am not sure what exactly blew out his AVR's trigger circuit. The Emotiva repeater was cheap insurance for many $$$ worth of components.

I built a trigger circuit using a small relay to switch a 12 V wall-wart through a small resistor to limit current if when I accidentally short the output. I can source about 750 mA. More than enough margin. I suppose that means I need more amplifiers... :)
I guess I’m lucky that my XMC-2 has 4 fully independent programmable trigger outs. I have one Buckeye amp driving fronts and surrounds, and the second amp driving heights. I can configure trigger 1 to output when the input uses the front speakers, and trigger 2 to be active when the input uses height speakers.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I guess I’m lucky that my XMC-2 has 4 fully independent programmable trigger outs. I have one Buckeye amp driving fronts and surrounds, and the second amp driving heights. I can configure trigger 1 to output when the input uses the front speakers, and trigger 2 to be active when the input uses height speakers.

My previous Pioneer AVR and XMC-1 had several but my el-cheapo SDP-75 only has one, go figure. I need seven so needed to do something anyway (three amps, four subs with their own amps). The SDP-75 does not have remote turn-on, either, so I rigged a little optical trigger circuit to drive its trigger input and get the ball rolling.

Jdunk54nl

My Yamaha has 2 independent programmable triggers, but it is still limited to 100mA total current. I’d find out what your max current draw is on it. I wouldn’t want to risk breaking a part of a $3200 processor by over drawing the triggers.

Jbrunwa

My Yamaha has 2 independent programmable triggers, but it is still limited to 100mA total current. I’d find out what your max current draw is on it. I wouldn’t want to risk breaking a part of a $3200 processor by over drawing the triggers.
I believe the triggers have current circuit protection, but will check with their tech support.

Jbrunwa

I believe the triggers have current circuit protection, but will check with their tech support.
They are checking with engineering to find out the max current, but told me that I cannot damage the XMC-2 trigger outs, and that connecting a too high load will either cause the voltage to drop or the trigger to turn off. Since the triggers are working I can assume that the load is ok.

Also, would an IoT power relay be a good solution for some? This one is cheap and only draws 0.2 mA on the trigger according to the FAQ. Although the max recommended load at 120V is 12 Amps it only costs $30 US. I’ve used their web power switches for about 10 years for computers and routers with no issues, so IMO their products are reliable.

AdamG

Helping you stretch your audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Trigger cable conversation. I run a splitter on both of my Denon 8500h trigger outs. The first two feeds from splitter 1 go directly to two separate powered Subs. The second pair from splitter 2 go to two separate Amps (Buckeye 502 & Emotiva XPA-5). With zero problems. Soon the XPA will be replaced by another Buckeye 6ch 502 Amp.

Resulting in a glorious 12 channels of Nc502mp amp power. A total of a max 6K 4ohm power on tap. The XPA-5 will be sold off here at ASR. Class-D amp power is my future. So much power and so little heat, weight and footprint reduction. All thanks to our resident entrepreneur @Buckeye Amps! Completely satisfied with your product and support.

Thread reminder: This next Buckeye Amp (Due to ship this week) is going to travel across the Country to Washington State to Amir for testing and a tear down inspection. ;)

Dundas

Forum Donor
The IoT Relay is a fantastic device. Can be triggered by almost any voltage signal including USB power. The only "limitation" is the 12 Amp maximum.

Jdunk54nl

Trigger cable conversation. I run a splitter on both of my Denon 8500h trigger outs. The first two feeds from splitter 1 go directly to two separate powered Subs. The second pair from splitter 2 go to two separate Amps (Buckeye 502 & Emotiva XPA-5). With zero problems. Soon the XPA will be replaced by another Buckeye 6ch 502 Amp.
The 8500h has this in the manual on pg99. Not sure if that is each trigger can do that or combined....
The TRIGGER OUT jack outputs a maximum 12 V DC/150 mA electrical signal.

The subs may be very minimal current draw (like my little board that draws only 5mA) and your two other amps (buckeye with 70mA) and the emotiva may only be 30mA. Either way you are probably close to 150mA but just below. Adding another buckeye MAY cause issues.

P.S. I am jealous of your 12 channels of 502mp setup. I will be with 6 channels of 502 (L/C/R/RR/RL/VOG) and 4 channels of 252mp (for height channels) once my amps ship in a few weeks. That is going to be plenty of power for me....and plenty of $$ spent between these amps and 7 new speakers.

Last edited:

AdamG

Forum Donor
The 8500h has this in the manual on pg99. Not sure if that is each trigger can do that or combined....
The TRIGGER OUT jack outputs a maximum 12 V DC/150 mA electrical signal.

The subs may be very minimal current draw (like my little board that draws only 5mA) and your two other amps (buckeye with 70mA) and the emotiva may only be 30mA. Either way you are probably close to 150mA but just below. Adding another buckeye MAY cause issues.

P.S. I am jealous of your 12 channels of 502mp setup. I will be with 6 channels of 502 (L/C/R/RR/RL/VOG) and 4 channels of 252mp (for height channels) once my amps ship in a few weeks. That is going to be plenty of power for me....and plenty of $$ spent between these amps and 7 new speakers.
I’m replacing the XPA with the Buckeye not adding. The XPA will be sold off.

Jdunk54nl

I’m replacing the XPA with the Buckeye not adding. The XPA will be sold off.
Right, the two buckeyes are 70mA each or 140mA. You max out at 150 mA. How much do your subs draw? That is the question and if more than 10mA, could put you over the max. Buckeye said common is about 30mA, so if that is for your subs, that could be another 60mA and you'd be at 200mA.

Hopefully those are conservative max numbers, but are you willing to test that on the 8500h? I know they are not the cheapest AVR and I would not want to test that.

snaimpally

I've been lurking on ASR for months, reading reviews. Finally joined (already a member of many other audio forums).

I sent an email yesterday asking about ordering a Buckeye amp. Interesting to see how much class D amps have advanced - no wonder many of the high end companies such as NAD have switched to class D.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Update:

Working diligently to catch up on orders. For those interested in new builds, I will be taking the last two weeks of December off for travel and family. Unless slots open up or an order is needed urgently, all new orders will be given ETA's starting in the first week of January 2022.

Thank you all again for the support and interest!

Also, a 6ch NC502MP amp is headed to Amir later today/tomorrow morning for review.

AdamG

Forum Donor
Update:

Working diligently to catch up on orders. For those interested in new builds, I will be taking the last two weeks of December off for travel and family. Unless slots open up or an order is needed urgently, all new orders will be given ETA's starting in the first week of January 2022.

Thank you all again for the support and interest!

Also, a 6ch NC502MP amp is headed to Amir later today/tomorrow morning for review.
Hi Dylan, would that be my amp by any chance? If so please use Amir’s call out to inform him it’s departed and headed his way. Thank you kindly !

Jbrunwa

They are checking with engineering to find out the max current, but told me that I cannot damage the XMC-2 trigger outs, and that connecting a too high load will either cause the voltage to drop or the trigger to turn off. Since the triggers are working I can assume that the load is ok.

Also, would an IoT power relay be a good solution for some? This one is cheap and only draws 0.2 mA on the trigger according to the FAQ. Although the max recommended load at 120V is 12 Amps it only costs $30 US. I’ve used their web power switches for about 10 years for computers and routers with no issues, so IMO their products are reliable.

Emotiva tech support got back to me. The max load for the 4 triggers is 80 mA each, so no trouble driving the Buckeye triggers and more.

Top Bottom