• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They are fairly cheap for the investment in the amp and they are thermally controlled for fan speed: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LVUWOBX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I use them on top of my B&K amps, which are stacked (with 2" spacers between the two amps, and this fan on top of the top amp's fins). With it, the top amp is cooler to the touch than the bottom amp.

So, when my Buckeye NC502MP works its way down the list to delivery, I'll be ready. But if I'm not having a heat problem with those B&K amps with their Class A predrivers, I doubt I'll have a problem with the NC502MP.

Rick "B&K amps consume and presumably radiate 60 watts when quiescent" Denney

Jbrunwa

I use them on top of my B&K amps, which are stacked (with 2" spacers between the two amps, and this fan on top of the top amp's fins). With it, the top amp is cooler to the touch than the bottom amp.

So, when my Buckeye NC502MP works its way down the list to delivery, I'll be ready. But if I'm not having a heat problem with those B&K amps with their Class A predrivers, I doubt I'll have a problem with the NC502MP.

Rick "B&K amps consume and presumably radiate 60 watts when quiescent" Denney
The Buckeye NC502MP 6 channel runs much cooler than my B&K Reference 200.5. I never used a fan with that so I’m sure I didn’t need one for these but I did it anyway.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Buckeye NC502MP 6 channel runs much cooler than my B&K Reference 200.5. I never used a fan with that so I’m sure I didn’t need one for these but I did it anyway.
As expected.

What was your impression of the 502 in relation to the 200.5? More powerful? Less powerful? Any hint of dynamic compression with one or the other? I assume you are using it for movies, so perhaps you have enough experience listening to percussive sound effects to have an opinion about peak dynamics.

Rick "appreciative" Denney

Jbrunwa

As expected.

What was your impression of the 502 in relation to the 200.5? More powerful? Less powerful? Any hint of dynamic compression with one or the other? I assume you are using it for movies, so perhaps you have enough experience listening to percussive sound effects to have an opinion about peak dynamics.

Rick "appreciative" Denney
This is totally subjective, I think they are comparable, peak dynamics seem slightly better for both music and movie with the NC502.

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
Once I get my Buckeye amp I'm planning to do an A/B with Onkyo AVR amp and Purifi amp using this A/B switch: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0796KGVXT
I wonder if anyone has done such a comparison and what they found out. I'm not expecting night and day differences overall after struggled to hear any when comparing well-measuring DACs recently, but would be curious anyway.

amper42

Major Contributor
I ordered the Buckeye NC502MP today. It will probably be 2.5 months until they arrive. I plan to compare the Purifi P452, NC502MP and the Monolith 7x2 with the Revel F328Be. I would need to perform a level match with REW first for each amp so once switching begins the levels are identical. Measuring energy usage of each amp at the same listening level would be fun to chart. While REW is open measuring the FR using each amp would be easy too. Hopefully, they match exactly in REW. :)

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
I ordered the Buckeye NC502MP today. It will probably be 2.5 months until they arrive. I plan to compare the Purifi P452, NC502MP and the Monolith 7x2 with the Revel F328Be. I would need to perform a level match with REW first for each amp so once switching begins the levels are identical. Measuring energy usage of each amp at the same listening level would be fun to chart. While REW is open measuring the FR using each amp would be easy too. Hopefully, they match exactly in REW. :)

When comparing different amps on the same speakers it's best to level match by voltage at the amplifier speaker outputs when playing a sine wave. When doing A/B I quickly started distinguishing volume differences as low as 0.2dB and even under (as this was the largest difference between my well-measuring DACs :p) Measuring with SPL meter/mic at speaker you will probably have larger error than that.

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
When comparing different amps on the same speakers it's best to level match by voltage at the amplifier speaker outputs when playing a sine wave. When doing A/B I quickly started distinguishing volume differences as low as 0.2dB and even under (as this was the largest difference between my well-measuring DACs :p) Measuring with SPL meter/mic at speaker you will probably have larger error than that.
Also - make sure to get an A/B switch that's switching both (+) and (-) of speakers (as the one I linked above) - a lot of them have (-) connected to common ground and this can fry your amps.

If you are close to Seattle Area I'd be happy to host/join an amplifier A/B party :)

technophreak

I received the NC502MP 2 channel amp over this past weekend. This amp is replacing a Classdaudio SDS-470. Preamp is an Emotiva XSP-1. DAC is a Topping DX7s. Speakers are Magnepan 1.7i.

Initial reaction, compared to the Classdaudio, is this is so much cleaner. The Classdaudio amp would have a harshness to highs on some recordings. Plenty of power for high volume listening I found myself turning it up more and more with no need to dial it back.

So far this was worth the wait and a great value. Anyone want to buy a Classdaudio SDS-470 amp?

Shanman

Forum Donor
Once I get my Buckeye amp I'm planning to do an A/B with Onkyo AVR amp and Purifi amp using this A/B switch: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0796KGVXT
I wonder if anyone has done such a comparison and what they found out. I'm not expecting night and day differences overall after struggled to hear any when comparing well-measuring DACs recently, but would be curious anyway.
Interesting, do you think the one you posted would also function to use one amp and 2 different sets of speakers like this one?

https://www.amazon.com/SOLUPEAK-P2-...r/dp/B093GSS8P7/ref=psdc_172546_t1_B0796KGVXT

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
Interesting, do you think the one you posted would also function to use one amp and 2 different sets of speakers like this one?

https://www.amazon.com/SOLUPEAK-P2-...r/dp/B093GSS8P7/ref=psdc_172546_t1_B0796KGVXT
The one you linked seems to be good too based on some comments when you search in comments they say it does not share common ground. I would test any switcher with a multimeter to confirm before using though. Both would work for 1 amp and 2 sets of speakers or 2 amps to one set of speakers as there’s no directionality in the connection, just a basic switch. I’ve used a switcher awhile ago with a similar single metal switch knob and it broke very quickly, that’s why I got one with the dual rocker knobs. Haven’t used it yet though.

I’m not sure if there are any risks of damaging an amplifier when doing that, I would caution anyone to do it at their own risk! Amps might not like their load removed and added that quickly. @Buckeye can chime-in with more authoritative warning and proper discouragement :)

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For those of you running multiple amps with less 12v triggers than amps from your pre/pro or avr, what are you using to split the trigger into more triggers.

My avr only has 2 trigger outs and I will need 3.

Lawyrup843

For those of you running multiple amps with less 12v triggers than amps from your pre/pro or avr, what are you using to split the trigger into more triggers.

My avr only has 2 trigger outs and I will need 3.
Emotiva has a really nice trigger hub. $50. I love them.

Jbrunwa

Emotiva has a really nice trigger hub. $50. I love them.
Looks like a nice solution. I was thinking of suggesting to try a Y cable first as a super cheap option.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
A mono Y cable will work. Stereo cables are easier to find and usually work, but one of my old components didn't like the stereo version, so I bought some cheap Monoprice mono cables. I use some of them, but also the Emotiva trigger unit. Buckeye amps are a rather heavy load on the trigger circuit so I was nervous about putting too much on my one trigger output. I would put it on one output and the Y on the other.

Jbrunwa

A mono Y cable will work. Stereo cables are easier to find and usually work, but one of my old components didn't like the stereo version, so I bought some cheap Monoprice mono cables. I use some of them, but also the Emotiva trigger unit. Buckeye amps are a rather heavy load on the trigger circuit so I was nervous about putting too much on my one trigger output. I would put it on one output and the Y on the other.
Yeah, I’m guessing each module has a trigger in, so in effect it’s already going through a 3-way Y cable in a 6 channel amp

Jdunk54nl

That is what I was thinking maybe using (Mono y-cable) but not sure if the buckeyes are too heavy for a Yamaha RX-A1000 trigger.
I will be running 2 buckeye amps, 6 channel 502 and 4 channel 252 and then a crown xls 1502 that uses this board for its trigger which says 5mA for the board (yamaha feeds that board).

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Yeah, I’m guessing each module has a trigger in, so in effect it’s already going through a 3-way Y cable in a 6 channel amp

That would be a question for @Buckeye Amps . My four-channel has only one trigger input IIRC, so I would guess it goes into a single relay that triggers all the amps but do not know.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Regarding trigger, no matter how many modules your amp has, there is only 1 relay that is triggered, so the power draw per amplifier build (case, not modules) is the same (9v minimum, 70mA).
Internally, the relay jumps one Vout Standby from a single module to all of the PS Enable pins of the modules installed. The same goes for the backup Standby switch on the back (if the relay fails, this will still allow jumping the PS Enable pin on each module).

The mA draw of the relay I use is higher than most (I believe 30-40mA is common) but they are heavy duty "automotive" grade relays meant/rated for tens of thousands of turn on/off sequences without issue.

Jdunk54nl

And my trigger out on the Yamaha rx-a1000 states this in the manual,
TRIGGER OUT ...................................... 2 (12 V/total 100 mA max.)

The way I read that is that both triggers can MAX put out 100mA together and the two buckeye amps would be 140mA. So I would be over that with just those.
Emotiva trigger box it is.

Top Bottom