• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You have better luck than me, I’ve had 4 TVs over the last 15 years. 1 failed in 5 years, 1 failed in 7 years and 2 of them are still kicking (from 2011 and 2019).

Michael

I was just quoting because he said standby which made his comment moot lol.

I also just threw away a 65 x90e. Got just over 3 years out of it. Used it about 6 hours a day (it was a communal TV) Pissed off hardly describes me.

Newman

Major Contributor
So….don’t these amps drop into standby when not in use?

Lawyrup843

If you are using it with trigger it works great. If not using with trigger you must obviously turn on and off if you so choose.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Yes iirc the units have a low power standby power supply. So in the absence of a signal the unit switches into low power standby.
@Buckeye Amps will correct me if I am wrong.

Above statement is incorrect. Disregard!

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It will turn on with the power strip. This is how I "controlled" my first DIY Build last year was using a 12v controlled power strip that turned my amp on and off via mains power.
That's how I power mine on as well.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
AFAIK from the spec sheets and testing, the NCxxxMP modules do not automatically go into a "standby" mode on their own. With mains power on but the PS Enable pin not "jumped", the unit is in standby mode. But to bring out of standby, the PS Enable pin has to be physically jumped. The most common way is a 12v trigger or simple switch (hence why my amps have the secondary power switch on the back, this jumps the PS Enable pin to allow the amp to operate manually in/out of standby should the 12v trigger relay ever fail or the user gets equipment without a 12v trigger output).

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
my amps have the secondary power switch on the back, this jumps the PS Enable pin to allow the amp to operate manually in/out of standby should the 12v trigger relay ever fail or the user gets equipment without a 12v trigger output).

This is a very nice feature, thanks for including it by default! Most of the other "vanilla" HypeX MP builders don't even offer an option for it.

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
The Minidsp SHD I'll be using with it does not have a 12v trigger.

Some have been using the USB port on the back of SHD to provide 5V as a trigger. If Buckeye amps can trigger with just 5V it might work for you. Discussion at miniDSP forum thread: https://www.minidsp.com/forum/shd-series/14666-usb-host-port-as-12v-trigger?start=15

@Buckeye Amps - would 5V be enough to trigger the amp to turn on? This is a stretch I understand, 12V trigger by definition needs more than that, but I've seen some amps work with less.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Some have been using the USB port on the back of SHD to provide 5V as a trigger. If Buckeye amps can trigger with just 5V it might work for you. Discussion at miniDSP forum thread: https://www.minidsp.com/forum/shd-series/14666-usb-host-port-as-12v-trigger?start=15

@Buckeye Amps - would 5V be enough to trigger the amp to turn on? This is a stretch I understand, 12V trigger by definition needs more than that, but I've seen some amps work with less.
Unfortunately, no. The relay I use requires minimum of 9v.
A voltage step up cable might work
https://www.amazon.com/12V-Voltage-...nics&sprefix=5V+to+12V,electronics,180&sr=1-3

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Bobwire DAT1 with a cheap coaxial to TOSLINK converter provides a 12V trigger and works great with the SHD Studio, imagine it works with the SHD as well.

Michael

Dundas

Forum Donor

Dundas

Forum Donor
Did you just solder the 1/8 mono jack to that?

Yes, I cut off the DC connector and soldered 1/8" mono plug to it.

If soldering a new connector is a problem there are some adapters available that convert the DC connector to a 1/8" plug (but be careful that they don't invert polarity).
Or there are the screw type connectors:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y5YJRPD/

Shanman

Forum Donor
Any Buckeye owners here have any recommendations for a properly wired RCA to XLR cable that isn't so snug? Inserting the male XLR on the back of the amp is much different than other XLR inputs I have encountered.

Lawyrup843

Any Buckeye owners here have any recommendations for a properly wired RCA to XLR cable that isn't so snug? Inserting the male XLR on the back of the amp is much different than other XLR inputs I have encountered.
Amazon has good ones. Worlds best cables or monoprice. Using both as we speak.

Lawyrup843

Yep, using the Monoprice, and very tight fit.
I really like the worlds best better. The build quality is nicer but they cost a lot more, and I don’t think there is any difference in sound quality. The tight tolerance I haven’t encountered with the monoprice.

amp

If you have an amp from before the latest batch(es), the tight XLR fit may be due to the issue discussed here. Very tight fit for me. Had to wiggle them on with a fair amount of force. Haven't needed to remove them yet though I imagine it should loosen up from repeated insertions/removals.

Amp has been flawless in every other way in the nearly 6 months since receiving it. I should have posted a review earlier - have been enjoying the music and am a happy customer.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
His amp is using a Ghent case. Another thing I have learned is older vs new Neutrik batches. For a while I thought the Neutriks Ghent were using might have been "phonies" way back in January/February as they were slightly different in their body appearance and release tab (internally). But then I placed a large order for Neutrik connectors from an authorized Neutrik dealer and received some that looked like Ghents and the rest that looked like ones I had been using for a while.

Digging into it, Neutrik confirmed all are legit just a slight manufacturing difference. I would assume Ghent has a large quantity of the "older" style (what I call them in my mind) which also seemed to contribute to the tight fits.

Top Bottom