• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

DWPress

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'll echo @Lonestar1027 now that I've spoken for Buckeye amp serial number 2!

All my conversations with @Buckeye Amps has been very pleasant today and the last message exchange verified he's figured out the "pin-1" implementation. When this thread gets 30 pages long point them back to post #9 ;)

This is gonna be so sweet to output 4 channels at 200W balanced from my forthcoming Okto DAC8PRO. A big step up in SQ from my miniDSP4x10 and cobbled together amp collection.

I just wanted to interject here and foremost congratulate Buckeye for a great and ever improving product but also pat myself on the back for predicting this would get to 30 pages.

Proud owner of Buckeye #2 and it still sounds great. Bonus, I heard from Pavel today and my Okto ships tomorrow!

thepiecesfit

How do you have it plugged in? How many speakers are you powering with it?

Powering the left, right and center channels via the pre-outs. Using Monoprice XLR Male to RCA Male Cable. The Denon side is unbalanced RCA > amp balanced XLR.

Neddy

I just wanted to interject here and foremost congratulate Buckeye for a great and ever improving product but also pat myself on the back for predicting this would get to 30 pages.

Proud owner of Buckeye #2 and it still sounds great. Bonus, I heard from Pavel today and my Okto ships tomorrow!

Congrats! - that should be a great combo!
I'm still contemplating how to squeeze a Buckeye amp into my rack so I can have that too!
(My Okto has been flawless; over a year now.)

I have a six channel NC502MP and eight channel NC252MP. Made the mistake of getting the Emotiva female XLR to RCA adapters, and then trying to still use with cheap Amazon male XLR to XLR adapters. With that setup could not get frequencies under 300Hz. Finally decided to reduce the number of adapters in the chain and tried head-to-head the Monoprice XLR to RCA cable, the Ghent Audio XLR to RCA cable and lastly the Neutrik NA2MPMF XLR to RCA adapter with Ghent Audio RCA cables (based on quad star Canare L-4E6S). Could not measure a difference using a control, repeating measurements, different speaker, different amp channel, etc. So should just be a matter of preference. The Monoprice XLR to RCA cable is of higher gauge 16 AWG versus the Canare, and also has a larger RCA connector. For me I was routing the cables through a 2" cutout and needed the smaller connector for 11+ RCA cables to fit through. Also could see if the pre/pro RCA spacing was tight the Monoprice might not be the best choice. additionally found the Monoprice XLR to be extremely tight in the Buckeye amp and difficult to remove, much preferred the Ghent and Neutrik fit. Ultimately went with the Neutrik for the remaining channels as it was cheaper with a shorter lead time than the Ghent. Would recommend an Aircom fan on top of the units. I'm able to keep them under 90F on the low fan speed setting. Very happy with amps

thepiecesfit

I have a six channel NC502MP and eight channel NC252MP. Made the mistake of getting the Emotiva female XLR to RCA adapters, and then trying to still use with cheap Amazon male XLR to XLR adapters. With that setup could not get frequencies under 300Hz. Finally decided to reduce the number of adapters in the chain and tried head-to-head the Monoprice XLR to RCA cable, the Ghent Audio XLR to RCA cable and lastly the Neutrik NA2MPMF XLR to RCA adapter with Ghent Audio RCA cables (based on quad star Canare L-4E6S). Could not measure a difference using a control, repeating measurements, different speaker, different amp channel, etc. So should just be a matter of preference. The Monoprice XLR to RCA cable is of higher gauge 16 AWG versus the Canare, and also has a larger RCA connector. For me I was routing the cables through a 2" cutout and needed the smaller connector for 11+ RCA cables to fit through. Also could see if the pre/pro RCA spacing was tight the Monoprice might not be the best choice. additionally found the Monoprice XLR to be extremely tight in the Buckeye amp and difficult to remove, much preferred the Ghent and Neutrik fit. Ultimately went with the Neutrik for the remaining channels as it was cheaper with a shorter lead time than the Ghent. Would recommend an Aircom fan on top of the units. I'm able to keep them under 90F on the low fan speed setting. Very happy with amps

I also found the Monoprice XLR > RCA to be very tight. However, after a few days and some torture tests they have loosened up. I can now remove them without too much trouble. YMMV of course :)

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I am hoping the tight fit is now rectified with future cases. I was using official Neutrik cutout dimensions but I believe the powder coat added enough to make the fits borderline tight. All newer cases have a few 0.1mm added to accommodate for the powder coating.

Or the Monoprice cables are just that tight. Lol

amper42

Major Contributor
I am hoping the tight fit is now rectified with future cases. I was using official Neutrik cutout dimensions but I believe the powder coat added enough to make the fits borderline tight. All newer cases have a few 0.1mm added to accommodate for the powder coating.

Or the Monoprice cables are just that tight. Lol

The Monoprice cables insert easily into the March Audio P452 XLR connectors.

nstzya

The original 12"x12" case inventory is now used up and will be replaced with the first of my newer case designs. Designated Small, this case is 7" wide by 12" deep and features the new Buckeye Amps logo.

Will it still accomodate 12V trigger Option? I know you said that the Ghent case does not.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I should have them in hand by the end of the week, so hoping to get some pics uploaded this weekend. Very excited about them, as they will be very compact (which I know is a factor for a lot of people who want a 2ch amp).

I should have them in hand by the end of the week, so hoping to get some pics uploaded this weekend. Very excited about them, as they will be very compact (which I know is a factor for a lot of people who want a 2ch amp).
Just out of curiosity, if you can compare the size against the Ghent 2-channel case for the NC502MP that would be great. I'm looking for the smallest footprint (depth and width) that I can get.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Just out of curiosity, if you can compare the size against the Ghent 2-channel case for the NC502MP that would be great. I'm looking for the smallest footprint (depth and width) that I can get.
Ghent is 200mm x 315mm (so about 7.8" x 12.4")
My new case is 180mm x 305mm (7" x 12")

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Thanks! A little narrower would've been better for me but my little 4-ch amp is singing along just fine. I got curious after watching a long movie last weekend and the top was just warm to the touch (unlike my big class AB Emotiva amps running everything else).

Trouble Maker

Where I live in the US 20A is code for wall receptacles and 15 is for lighting circuits only.

That's beyond NEC requirements right? Unless something has change since I last looked or did electrical with permits in our house, here we can do either for outlets.

Top Bottom