• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Look what appeared on my doorstep tonight...
SAM_3436.JPG
SAM_3437.JPG
SAM_3438.JPG

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes it is the 3 channel Purifi.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Yes it is the 3 channel Purifi.
Yah, the link I provided is to Dylan's (Buckeye Amp's) Purifi thread. This is the Hypex thread so I thought it might be good to cross-post over there. No worries, it looks like a great amp no matter the thread! :)

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I received a PM appx a week prior to it shipping.

CanadianMetal

Proper speaker connectors like that look (and work!) so much better than 8 stupid antequated tubey protrusions marring the backplate.

Are we talking about the XLR over RCA ?
or the Speakon over the Regular speaker binding posts ?

I understand the XLR balanced advantage , but what are the speakon advantages other than being harder to accidentally unplug ?

I have the option to get the speakon , but did not know it it Will actually benefit me ?

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

CanadianMetal

Thanks that was great and informative, I should ask to have the speakon connectors put onto my amp .

I just ordered a NX3000 pro amp for my Boss Platform build and it has a speakon connection , so I am now very happy it has it , rather than annoyed.

And will now ask for My Buckeye to have them as well .

CanadianMetal

I went to a local music store to buy a SpeakON connector, and had the most bizarre interaction and conversation with the employee’s there , like they did not even want me to even think about mixing home audio and “Pro” audio stuff . Wow

Made it seem like they thought I was crazy / stupid / foolish for wanting to put a SpeakON connection to my speakers.

I almost laughed at the end of our interaction, when he said “I wash my hands of this situation , and someone will give you a call when the connectors arrive from our Wharehouse”

Earlier , another employee shouted from across the room “SpeakON? , that is 20 year old technology, why would you want that ? We usually only sell it to churches that still use that old equipment ,and don’t want to change.

Then he pulls out a dusty speakOn to SpeakON cable , and tells me to “look how thick this cable is” .
He seems annoyed like he smelled some silent flatulence , when his plan backfires on him , when I tell him my 12 gauge pure copper wire that I got from Amazon looks to be the same thickness so it should work well.

Another funny moment was when he asked if I even knew how many ohms my speakers were , like knowing about ohms would be over my head or something LOL .

When I surprised him by knowing they are 4 ohm JBL drivers , he then starts to tell me how 4 speakers like that are actually 16ohms when connected together .

I told him I planned to connect them in series + parallel to keep the total resistance at 4 ohms .

I think when I mentioned wiring in series parallel together , pushed him to the edge and that is when he decided to “wash his hands of the situation”

Never had such a bizarre experience at a store in my life LOL , and all over a $6 connector .

da Choge

Forum Donor
Never had such a bizarre experience at a store in my life LOL , and all over a $6 connector .
That is pretty crazy. I think some people in professional/entertainment electronics like to think they are a lot more knowledgeable than those of us on the home electronics front, and I'm sure they are when it comes to providing the electronics and wiring for large presentation venues. But the attitude and "insider knowledge" of those clerks at the music store is just as exasperating as it is comical.

bkdc

Forum Donor
They want to sell 200 dollar binding posts and 50 dollar banana plugs instead of a superior 6 dollar connector. Profits are on the line if the industry adopts the superior SpeakOn as the default connector. All the snake oil at risk!!! I'd love it if speaker manufacturers offered a swap-out panel to allow an option for SpeakON connections instead of binding posts. Old fashioned fogies can have their posts and people who know better can get the best connector available.

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Speakon is great for pro use, as it can take a lot of abuse. However, the bulk makes it less Tha ideal on a lot of home audio equipment, especially if it is only stereo. So I eould not call it the best connector for all purposes. I certainly would not want to use them on my desktop system. That does not change the fact that that clerk sounds like a jerk.

Top Bottom