• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wow, I did not realize they had dropped in price so much, but I use much more expensive ones at work. (I have said before that, while I could bring one home on my signature, I am scared to take home a DSO worth more than my house!)

That said, $100 is still a lot of money to some, but the higher bar is learning how to use it and interpret the results. Of course, pictures posted to ASR could help... ;)
Yes, $100 is still $100, but for a decent multimeter with o-scope, it can save a lot of headaches with troubleshooting.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It should be for how cheap they are these days!

or for a little better one:
Sigh. You just sent me on an excursion to Amazon, and instead of that handheld scope-o-meter, I ended up buying an older model Hantek benchtop scope, which I suspect will be a lot easier to live with than my old Tektronix lunch-box portable, not to mention being a storage scope with three times the bandwidth.

The one I bought was "open box" used, so not without some risk, but only a little over $100.

Rick "spent an Amazon gift card Christmas present" Denney

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sigh. You just sent me on an excursion to Amazon, and instead of that handheld scope-o-meter, I ended up buying an older model Hantek benchtop scope, which I suspect will be a lot easier to live with than my old Tektronix lunch-box portable, not to mention being a storage scope with three times the bandwidth.

The one I bought was "open box" used, so not without some risk, but only a little over $100.

Is it digital storage or analogue storage?

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Lol, I have a couple of decent benchtop ones at work that I sometimes borrow, but my favorite one is at home. It is an old school (can't remember the name) with a green crt (I think) screen. All analog with rotary switches. It is fun to use. I am still tempted to grab one of those $100 multimeter scopes though....it would be conveinent.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it digital storage or analogue storage?
Digital. Hantek DSO5102B--dual channel, 1 GS/s, 100 MHz, long memory, available external computer control (but not required), mains-powered, external trigger, conventional test leads with BNC connections, larger and higher-res display than a handheld, FFT spectrum analysis, reams of slick tricks on the web for hacking into a 200 MHz bandwidth (apparently, the whole line used the same hardware). It's 8 or 9 years old, but newer stuff that's cheap all requires a laptop computer to act as an interface, or it's a handheld.

There's appeal to the handheld, to be sure. But that can be next year's gift card. :)

Rick "normally priced higher, so a little nervous" Denney

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Digital. Hantek DSO5102B--dual channel, 1 GS/s, 100 MHz, long memory, available external computer control (but not required), mains-powered, external trigger, conventional test leads with BNC connections, larger and higher-res display than a handheld, FFT spectrum analysis, reams of slick tricks on the web for hacking into a 200 MHz bandwidth (apparently, the whole line used the same hardware). It's 8 or 9 years old, but newer stuff that's cheap all requires a laptop computer to act as an interface, or it's a handheld.

There's appeal to the handheld, to be sure. But that can be next year's gift card. :)

Rick "normally priced higher, so a little nervous" Denney
I owned a couple of HP analogue storage scopes that where indispensable for some operations. Very handy to have although very specialized. What will you use the digital storage for?

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I owned a couple of HP analogue storage scopes that where indispensable for some operations. Very handy to have although very specialized. What will you use the digital storage for?
I'll figure that out when I get it. :)

Rick "buying on spec" Denney

doug2761

Forum Donor
NEW FOR 2022!
In the coming weeks, I will be offering a brand new, 8ch NC502MP amplifier! The case will be 17" wide, 13" deep, and 6" high with feet. The modules will be mounted on their sides to L brackets with backside heatsinks for thorough cooling.
This new case will also be available for any order (at an upgrade price). It will also allow for ANY 8ch configuration (including 3xNC502 + 1xNC252, 2xNC502 + 2xNC252, etc).
Stay Tuned!
Giving a shout out and thanks to Dylan at Buckeye Amps. I went with a 1x NC252 for 2-channel use and am very pleased. Dylan at Buckeye got the unit to me super fast. I'm running this side-by-side with my NC400 mono blocks and really can't hear a difference. They're producing plenty of power for my Dynaudio Confidence C2 speakers. Ultimately this unit will go into my second system. I've paired this with an SMSL M300 MKII DAC with volume control and raspi streamer. Energy efficient, small footprint, hifi sound, and cost effective.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
My case company is working on a prototype L bracket that would also have a heatsink, so a solid piece of aluminum functioning as the heatsink and mounting bracket for the Hypex modules to be placed vertically. Just waiting on a quote

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Preference input:

Speaker binding posts on the new case all across in a row (as already shown and on my current cases) OR the left right for each channel placed vertically (so more room between each channel)

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Preference input:

Speaker binding posts on the new case all across in a row (as already shown and on my current cases) OR the left right for each channel placed vertically (so more room between each channel)
vertically

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Preference input:

Is there to be a temp sensed fan sort of arrangement?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There will not.

But the 17" size fits perfectly with the AC Infinity Aircom offerings.
Hmmz... I ask because I am considering the assist of thermal rise of the airstream inside the cabinet. Are there vents top and bottom and side to side?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Then run the boards vertically side by each. With a extra heatsink?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Does any other class D amp builder offer this sort of arrangement and number of channels even close to your price?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Does any other class D amp builder offer this sort of arrangement and number of channels even close to your price?
Close to my price? VTV is about the same cost for an 8ch NC502 but it uses a normal flat arrangement in a 20"x19" case

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Close to my price? VTV is about the same cost for an 8ch NC502 but it uses a normal flat arrangement in a 20"x19" case
I attempted skimming and scanning back in the thread for details although the thread is extensively long now. How many channels is your new offering? Your's is a 17" wide <X> deep and how thick? With vertical arrangement is going to be great... It will run cooler perhaps and maybe a bit trickier for assembly and disassembly. It all depends on the mounting system and the length of the leads going to each PCB. One needs to be able to pull a "card" easily for replacement or service.

Top Bottom