• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

bkdc

Forum Donor
Speakon is great for pro use, as it can take a lot of abuse. However, the bulk makes it less Tha ideal on a lot of home audio equipment, especially if it is only stereo. So I eould not call it the best connector for all purposes. I certainly would not want to use them on my desktop system. That does not change the fact that that clerk sounds like a jerk.
Off thread, but if I were wiring a huge home theater, I’d have a wall panel with SpeakOn connections for all speakers running to the AV room (instead of banana plugs). Not only is it “professional”, it is safer as the Speak-on twist is electrically very safe. I don’t see how one connector is that much bulkier than two banana plugs + binding posts and definitely a 4-wire connector is less bulky than 4 banana plugs + binding posts. It’s also less capacitive (not that it makes an audible difference). If you’re a bare wire person then I guess you could argue bulk.

Curious who ordered the bronze cases and what he’s trying to match!

Last edited:

da Choge

Forum Donor
Beautiful elegant design of black with bronze!
It is a very elegant look; not the "yellow" gold finish that's popular with electronics in some cultures, but kind of a light "champagne" reminiscent of what Denon has done with some of their statement pieces. If I go with Buckeye, I would want one of their multichannel amps with a similar anodized finish, except in silver.

Royalty12

Received my Hypex NC252MP Buckeye Amp yesterday. I have it powering a pair of Polk Audio Legend L200s. Really impressive sound. Had them connected to a Denon receiver before. Very clean at impressively loud levels. Folks suggested that these L200s really pop with clean power with enough headroom. I can see why they say that.

I would like to thank this forum for introducing me to the wonders of modern class D amplifiers. I had what was considered a quality AB and I blew a channel. I have no idea how to fix it, couldn't find anyone within 200 miles to do it and I don't have the time to figure it out. This class D amp puts out more power (confirmed thanks to the great measurements done here) and subjectively sounds better than my old one. I was on a mission to buy a new amp and was dreading spending 1000+ considering all the shit I had just bought. I stumbled upon this topic and am happy I did.
- thank you to Buckeye amps as well.

Last edited:

Solid state

Delayed review, took a bit after getting the amp to get everything installed properly in my new 9.1 HT. Amp sounds great, but they aren't really taxed much. What I wanted was a reasonably priced, quiet, and reliable amp and Dylan's build was perfect. Learned a bit on this thread too! as I was researching. Other than the unfortunate events of the spring (hope you're recovered Dylan), a solid experience. 6 channel with rack mount face. The face is a tad thin for my worries, so i supported the not very heavy case at the back in my rack.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
While I am rolling through orders and was just about ready to get started on November orders (had a few Octobers left), I will be taking the next 10 days "off" from builds to finish my dissertation writing.

In all honesty, it won't dramatically affect November orders, as once I am done with the writing that will be the start of me committing more full time hours to the business and builds.

Just wanted to give the community a heads up. Will still be here to answer emails and questions in the timely fashion as usual.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
One major announcement: I am discontinuing the Ghent build offerings. They are too few and far between in demand and have gone up in cost.
I don't see them on the website. Am I missing something or have they been removed?

wav3form

I liked the Ghent cases but I can see why you made that choice.

Do you still offer kits for DIY?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I liked the Ghent cases but I can see why you made that choice.

Do you still offer kits for DIY?
No and haven't since the first few months of starting the business as it is against OEM agreement with Hypex.

bgtees

Which 8-channel amp for my situation, Hypex 252 or 502?

Front L/R: Chane A5.4 (6 ohm, 92db sensitivity)
Center: Chane A2.4 (8 ohm, 88db sensitivity)
2x Surround and 2x Height: Speakercraft One (8 ohm, 88db sensitivity)

Svetlio

Which 8-channel amp for my situation, Hypex 252 or 502?

Front L/R: Chane A5.4 (6 ohm, 92db sensitivity)
Center: Chane A2.4 (8 ohm, 88db sensitivity)
2x Surround and 2x Height: Speakercraft One (8 ohm, 88db sensitivity)
Seeing the specs of the speakers, you can go with 8 channel Hypex 252 easily. If you want more power for the L/R, you can do a custom build, one module NC502MP for L/R if you think you need that much power, and for the rest of the speakers, you can have NC252MP modules.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Sorry for the MIA:
I had my dissertation defense this week and have passed, meaning the "Dr" title is official and the road is cleared to devote yet another large amount of time to the business!

On that note:
- 95% of those who had NC502MP builds backordered since the summer/fall have seen those orders filled...the only remaining ones outstanding are 8ch NC502MP XL orders. Those will be completed over Holiday break.
- I am now pivoting to starting and completing all December ETA orders over the next 10-14 days (most of them are Purifi orders so will not take long to catch up)

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sorry for the MIA:
I had my dissertation defense this week and have passed, meaning the "Dr" title is official and the road is cleared to devote yet another large amount of time to the business!

On that note:
- 95% of those who had NC502MP builds backordered since the summer/fall have seen those orders filled...the only remaining ones outstanding are 8ch NC502MP XL orders. Those will be completed over Holiday break.
- I am now pivoting to starting and completing all December ETA orders over the next 10-14 days (most of them are Purifi orders so will not take long to catch up)
Congrats Dr.! The P in PhD is for perseverance!

Top Bottom