• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Update:

I am in the process of designing a new case. The initial dimensions are looking like the usual 17" wide, around 12-13" deep and.....about 6" tall with feet. Why so tall? Well, how else would I fit 8ch of NC502 on their sides with heatsink cooling?

This is still early stages of working on the design. No other details yet but in my typical fashion, I am shooting for a price under $2099.

:cool:

amper42

Major Contributor
Update:

I am in the process of designing a new case. The initial dimensions are looking like the usual 17" wide, around 12-13" deep and.....about 6" tall with feet. Why so tall? Well, how else would I fit 8ch of NC502 on their sides with heatsink cooling?

This is still early stages of working on the design. No other details yet but in my typical fashion, I am shooting for a price under $2099.

Looks like Buckeye Amps wants to be very competitive with Monolith M8250x $2999.99 before it ships? :D

8250.png
Will it have dual AC plugs as well and XLR ports with the tabs on top, plus LED clipping lights?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
What? Me try to "undercut" a competitor? I would never!

It would definitely be dual 15amp IEC inputs. And yes, I would finally flip the XLR inputs for this one (and have the speaker binding posts on the bottom)

Clipping indicators would be optional via the add in module I am still developing with another forum member

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
The brackets/heatsinks would also allow mounting NC252s. So for those who can fit a taller case and want true piece of mind without active cooling, they would be able to ask for this setup for any 2 through 8 channel nc252 or 2 through 6 channel nc502 configuration.

It will also allow for more customization (say 1 502 and 3 252s or 2 502 and 2 252s).

MAYBE even a 10ch 252

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ordering 502s for surrounds is just insanity in my opinion, but to each his own...

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Ordering 502s for surrounds is just insanity in my opinion, but to each his own...
I do try to be honest whenever a new customer gives me their speakers and "needs" by pointing them to using NC252s for surrounds (and especially Atmos). But I still get a few "Do you have an 8ch NC502" amp inquiries here and there. I do not expect to sell a lot of these if I offer them (more so think people may opt for the case for their 6/8 channel NC252 or 6ch NC502 setups at a minimum) but it can't hurt to have the option there.

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Update:

Can I exchange my new 6 channel 502 for an 8 channel ;) just kidding....well kind of..

That is pretty cheap for 8 channels.

Also the monolith one is $3000 for an 8 channel 502mp and you are at their 8 channel 252 price! Good job!

Last edited:
OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Can I exchange my new 6 channel 502 for an 8 channel ;) just kidding....well kind of..

That is pretty cheap for 8 channels.

Also the monolith one is $3000 for an 8 channel and you are at their 8 channel 252 price! Good job!
The only thing I still can't "compete" with is the micro controlled on/off (soft start). So far, this hasn't been an issue. I've had my NCxxxMP amps in my personal setup for over 18 months now and never an issue with inrush current tripping a fuse, dimming lights, or popping.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Popping...I get a very slight thump when I switch the amp on or take it out of sleep mode. By very slight, I mean barely heard, and less than just about any of my other amps I've owned. Speakers have 91 dB efficiency.

Rick "who just has a stereo version and nothing therefore to say about current draw from house panel" Denney

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
What? Me try to "undercut" a competitor? I would never!

It would definitely be dual 15amp IEC inputs. And yes, I would finally flip the XLR inputs for this one (and have the speaker binding posts on the bottom)

Clipping indicators would be optional via the add in module I am still developing with another forum member
I’m starting to hate you now! :p Maybe consider some type of upgrade kit package for existing Customers?

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I’m starting to hate you now! :p Maybe consider some type of upgrade kit package for existing Customers?
He will upgrade you to 8 channels for the small, one time, fee of $2149 ;)

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Ideally I would have the customer ship back their amp and transfer the modules to the new case, so cost would be materials and small labor only to upgrade (very small labor charge as I could then reuse the old case for discount pricing for new customers).

Again, working on the details. I will make everything known and concrete once I am certain.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I'm working on that detail, actually. Just want to find the best way for both myself and customers.
Obviously you need to make a decent profit to do this service and I would be interested in what you design. Some type of kit or send in for upgrade would be above and beyond normal Customer Service. But a fee arranged repurpose upgrade process would be very interesting to some I think.

amper42

Major Contributor
The only thing I still can't "compete" with is the micro controlled on/off (soft start). So far, this hasn't been an issue. I've had my NCxxxMP amps in my personal setup for over 18 months now and never an issue with inrush current tripping a fuse, dimming lights, or popping.
First mockup done....looking at $2149 shipped if I offer 8ch NC502.

I will update my listing/offerings and also update the configurations possible with this new case in the next few weeks.

Would it be possible to have a power button on the front?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Obviously you need to make a decent profit to do this service and I would be interested in what you design. Some type of kit or send in for upgrade would be above and beyond normal Customer Service. But a fee arranged repurpose upgrade process would be very interesting to some I think.
One of the perks of being owner/builder and an enthusiast myself, I try to offer what I know I'd want (upgradeable AV components is often asked for but hard to deliver).

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Would it be possible to have a power button on the front?
Definitely possible. For this case design I am open to rearranging things for best use. However I also don't want to make others feel they are missing out if they choose other offerings that don't have these things

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Definitely possible. For this case design I am open to rearranging things for best use. However I also don't want to make others feel they are missing out if they choose other offerings that don't have these things
Speaking of power switch on the front, would there be some unhappy side effect to moving the trigger-enable button to the front? (It acts as a standby button when there is no trigger, of course.)

Rick "whose other equipment lacks a trigger output" Denney

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Speaking of power switch on the front, would there be some unhappy side effect to moving the trigger-enable button to the front? (It acts as a standby button when there is no trigger, of course.)

Rick "whose other equipment lacks a trigger output" Denney
No, that's what the "power button" would be (standby switch, Power button, etc....same purpose). Only thing that kept me from implementing it right from the start of business was finding a good one with an LED at a reasonable bulk price.

Top Bottom