• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

amper42

Major Contributor
There's a certain amount of freedom and self-satisfaction available from running your own company versus working as a cog for another organization. You never really understand this until you have been a company owner. It doesn't have to be a big company to enjoy it. In fact, the bigger a company gets the more headaches. I always liked the ability to select the projects that excited me versus those tossed my way by a boss.

Most people are afraid to be a company owner. They can't deal with the uncertainty, don't have the imagination, and don't realize working for someone else simply puts their future in their hands. Having done both in my life - I think everyone should be lucky enough to find that niche that allows them to start their own company. Once you've run a small organization for a few years, it can be difficult to go back to working in a job where you're not in charge.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
If he was majoring in EE, or maybe business, this would be a clear fit. Majoring in immunology, I'd guess choices must be made. Those are pretty different fields (I was pre-med in college whilst getting my undergrad degrees in EE and computer engineering so you know how I went). I also discovered all the free time I expected to have after graduation evaporated under schedule demands and such, and it is worse now that I am older -- after a 60-80 hour workweek I just want to vegetate when I get home. I know, wimpy, wimpy, wimpy...

I agree with @amper42 on running your own business, but decided years ago it wasn't really for me. The cons of uncertainty, long hours, travel (easier to avoid now with the WWW), etc. (especially raising kids) made it a no-deal for me except for a few consulting stints. I would dispute the lack of imagination part, but maybe that's just ego speaking (writing). But I am sure it depends greatly upon your field and interests. I was never comfortable with marketing (though my bosses thought I did well at it, for an engineer ;) ). I have known a few who jumped in without paying enough attention to the potential down side, got caught out, and of course that colors my feelings. OTOH I know a few who have done well, some extremely well, but again the start-up effort was high and they did not have families.

Last edited:

Golfx

Forum Donor
For our Buckeye entrepreneur—a science PhD is a very nice ticket to have. I have one, and I was always surprised by the deferential doors it opened. It is nice to have different plans and paths to flex into your future.

simplywyn

Let’s look at brass tax here: what separates buckeye amps from every other amp maker like vtv or orchid?

For me it was just price, that’s it, if vtv was cheaper I would’ve gone with them. It’s just the name of the business.

I’m not trying to shit on buckeye as I own one of his amps already and already thinking of ordering more, but the real world gets ugly real fast once you start really competing with some of the medium players. By competing, I mean taking away the income of others, taking away the food bowl and eventually making competitors go bankrupt. I’ve been down this road, when it’s a hobby it’s fun and great but there are others already doing this and you need to survive, it’s tough, your competitors play very very dirty to get ahead.

Last edited:

amp

Let’s look at brass tax here: what separates buckeye amps from every other amp maker like vtv or orchid?
Demonstrating the desire and ability to build amps using best practices and sensible high quality parts is what made Buckeye an easy choice for me. Good prices and great presence on the forum as well.

I do see what you're saying though. It would seem reasonable for someone who's interested in a Hypex or Purifi amp to also care about best practices in the build. Actual numbers may tell a different story.

DWPress

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just chiming in here as the owner of a 4ch Buckeye amp serial number 00002 that I'm thrilled with the amp still and delighted you're at 50+ pages of happy customers @Buckeye Amps! Cheers to your continued success!

MCH

Major Contributor
Well there is something else to take into account and i am sure Buckeye is very much aware. Research careers in science are super competitive, go away a couple of years and your chances might be gone forever, most specially if you want to go the academic pathway...

archerious

UPDATED 8/25/2021
Current build timeline is around 8wks
*Down payments are allowed due to the long wait times*

Official review by Amir
Official teardown by Amir

Hey all,

Long-time A/V enthusiast with an extensive history on the AVS forums and more recently following this site for all the technical and objective expertise. After months of looking for the best amplifier setup over the summer, I went a DIY route and built a 4-channel NC502MP and 6-channel NC252MP build using Modushop cases. One of the reasons for the DIY route was the lack of sellers in the US, and at the time of my needs the offerings of US sellers was limited.

I found putting my amplifiers together a fun "hobby"/relaxing during the nights after I got home from school (working on a PhD currently). So I got to thinking, could I offer a no frills, low cost option for US buyers without much overhead/need to charge more than necessary to turn a small profit while providing a quality product? After a couple of weeks of spitballing and working on a case prototype that is cost effective, I believe the answer is yes.

Builds are based off the Hypex Main Powered NCORE modules:
NC502MP
- 2x450w @ 2ohm
- 2x500w @ 4ohm
- 2x350w @ 8ohm

NC252MP
- 2x180w @ 2ohm
- 2x250w @ 4ohm
- 2x150w @ 8ohm

PRICING:
Large 6/8ch Case (17"x13"x3.5") w/logo on front:

8 channel NC252MP, XLR inputs (Neutrik), Mogami wiring, 12v trigger, Power LED (Blue) = $1549 shipped
6 channel NC502MP
, XLR inputs (Neutrik), Mogami wiring, 12v trigger, Power LED (Blue) = $1649 shipped
6 channel NC252MP,
XLR inputs (Neutrik), Mogami wiring, 12v trigger, Power LED (Blue) = $1199 shipped

Medium 4ch Case (12"x12"x3.5") w/logo on front:
4 channel NC502MP, XLR inputs (Neutrik), Mogami wiring, 12v trigger, Power LED (Blue) = $1049 shipped
4 channel NC252MP,
XLR inputs (Neutrik), Mogami wiring, 12v trigger, Power LED (Blue) = $779 shipped

Small 2ch Case (7"x12"x3.5") w/logo on front:
2 channel NC502MP, XLR inputs (Neutrik), Mogami wiring, 12v trigger, Power LED (Blue) = $649 shipped
2 channel NC252MP
, XLR inputs (Neutrik), Mogami wiring, 12v trigger, Power LED (Blue) = $499 shipped

*Neutrik speakON connectors are now available as an optional add-on for all amps: $30 extra

New Rackmount case:
19" wide front plate (standard rackmount configuration) x 13" deep x 2U height:
- Can fit all configurations up to 8 channels
- Cost is an additional $150 (regardless of channel count)
- If adding Neutrik speakON option, additional cost of $50

- For those who know they do not need a 12v trigger at all, I can knock $5 off the price per module (so 2 channel amps would be $5 off, 4 channel amps $10 off, etc)
- Discounts available for those purchasing two or more amp builds
- Mixing and matching NC502's and NC252's is an option
- International shipping is available

PM or email me directly ([email protected]) for buying or if you have any questions at all

Ghent Installation:
- For those who want a really small 2 channel build, I will now accept shipment of/can order for the customer a Ghent Audio case (w/all installation hardware) to my address, upon which I will install either an NC502MP or NC252MP module and then ship the completed build back:
* $425 charge for NC502 ($660 if I order the case)
* $325 charge for NC252 ($500 if I order the case)

Just sent a email, looking forward to buying from you, was going to go with Audiophonics but I'd love to support a US builder.

simplywyn

Demonstrating the desire and ability to build amps using best practices and sensible high quality parts is what made Buckeye an easy choice for me. Good prices and great presence on the forum as well.

I do see what you're saying though. It would seem reasonable for someone who's interested in a Hypex or Purifi amp to also care about best practices in the build. Actual numbers may tell a different story.

Agreed, buckeye is someone I can trust and he is hand building this, it feels like a Ferrari.

We can also tell him feedback directly with zero red tape so that’s a plus.

geekpryde

Forum Donor
Do you guys leave your buckeye amp on always?

I have left it on ~48 hours accidentally before, but I intentionally shut it down when I leave the office each night. It never gets "hot", only mildly warm to the touch. But I have it near papers, so I try not to push my luck.

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Check out this video at the 10:00 mark...a good mention for Buckeye!

Lawyrup843

So awesome to see the results of a person’s hard work PAYING OFF! Congrats!

gattaca

Another point for your design is "simple serviceability!"

When those ECaps on the board do play out, replacing the entire PCBs should almost be a plug-n-play operation - assuming then boards have similar connections in N years. Just my .02. Stay safe, stay alive. Peace.

diablo900t

Spotted another Buckeye customer in one of Youthman's new videos!

Screenshot_20210910-141228_YouTube.jpg

Top Bottom