• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Finally got the amp hooked up and ran the calibration to get the new (height) speakers integrated into the system. Nothing really to say; the amp is quiet (no hiss at the MLP), compact (fit just right in the little space I had for it), no noticeable sound signature, runs cool, and all that jazz. The LED's pretty bright, will damp that later, but for now just a very happy owner.

You need a logo for it. :)

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Finally got the amp hooked up and ran the calibration to get the new (height) speakers integrated into the system. Nothing really to say; the amp is quiet (no hiss at the MLP), compact (fit just right in the little space I had for it), no noticeable sound signature, runs cool, and all that jazz. The LED's pretty bright, will damp that later, but for now just a very happy owner.

You need a logo for it. :)
I'm glad it is working good! The funny thing with the LED's is the company I use actually dimmed them a year ago (so the ones I am using are their dimmed version) so I can't imagine how bright they used to be. I use a small light blocker sticker on mine.

Logo is in the works. But no ETA.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Looks good. Any way to get a picture of the wiring?
The next Ghent build I do I will take internal pictures.

For anyone wondering, even for the Ghent builds I still properly ground the XLR connections.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Newbie question. What is a trigger? thanks.
12v trigger. Allows amps/equipment connected to a source with a 12v trigger out to be turned on/off with that source equipment. So if using an AVR for example, external amps will turn on/off when the AVR is controlled.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Thought I would add some up-to-date "stats" for those that might be interested but are worried about how new I am:

As of 2/3/21

Orders placed to date: 71
Orders filled to date: 45
Orders returned to date: 1 (non-defective return reason)

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
@Buckeye Amps - I don't see how you do it and keep up with grad school... When I was in college, albeit working my way through, I tried to pick up extra cash building and modding kit amps (mainly Hafler) but couldn't handle it with classes (~26-28 class hours) and work (~20 hours/week).

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
@Buckeye Amps - I don't see how you do it and keep up with grad school... When I was in college, albeit working my way through, I tried to pick up extra cash building and modding kit amps (mainly Hafler) but couldn't handle it with classes (~26-28 class hours) and work (~20 hours/week).
Luckily my classes are done, so all of my PhD work is doing bench/research experiments. And the model we use for our research is a lot of hurry up and wait (so it is hectic right before and during an experiment, than a few weeks of data analyzing and planning the next one).
Plus they don't allow us to have outside jobs during our program. So building these in my free time is really a nice, relaxing hobby. I put on a new movie or show in the evening and do a build.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As of 2/3/21

Awesome Buckeye! So nice to check back in on this thread and see you doing so well and perhaps even more importantly - how many people are getting such great gear and service. Proud owner of Buckeye build #2.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Luckily my classes are done, so all of my PhD work is doing bench/research experiments. And the model we use for our research is a lot of hurry up and wait (so it is hectic right before and during an experiment, than a few weeks of data analyzing and planning the next one).
Plus they don't allow us to have outside jobs during our program. So building these in my free time is really a nice, relaxing hobby. I put on a new movie or show in the evening and do a build.

I may have missed it, but what field is your PhD in? And are you at OSU?

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess you could still use a drawing of that toxic nut as a logo.

Good time to get into Immunology...

Hello,
I just received my 4 channel NC502MP . It was very well packaged and delivered when promised when Buckeye. I’m going hook it up this weekend and rerun Audyssey, can’t wait! Also, if the logo can be added at later date, would like to purchase that too. Thanks Buckeye .

MarkWayne

Quick comparison to Schiit Vidar on my Magnepan .7s. My Buckeye amp absolutely blew the Vidar away. It was a massacre. I wish I had taken the time to compare the two amps with more efficient/easier load speakers, but I sold the Vidar as fast as I could. I have strong suspicion that Buckeye would win regardless of the speaker. It's better on every facet of audio reproduction from low end (goes deeper and with more control), to mid range (less harsh), to high end detail retrieval (percussion sounds much more natural). At least with Maggies, Buckeye embarrasses the poor Schiit Vidar, and I'm a Schiit fan, with their Freya plus preamp (amazing!) and my more recent purchase, Schiit Bifrost 2 (also amazing!), so I'm not biased against Schiit at all. Thanks, Dylan.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Quick comparison to Schiit Vidar on my Magnepan .7s. My Buckeye amp absolutely blew the Vidar away. It was a massacre. I wish I had taken the time to compare the two amps with more efficient/easier load speakers, but I sold the Vidar as fast as I could. I have strong suspicion that Buckeye would win regardless of the speaker. It's better on every facet of audio reproduction from low end (goes deeper and with more control), to mid range (less harsh), to high end detail retrieval (percussion sounds much more natural). At least with Maggies, Buckeye embarrasses the poor Schiit Vidar, and I'm a Schiit fan, with their Freya plus preamp (amazing!) and my more recent purchase, Schiit Bifrost 2 (also amazing!), so I'm not biased against Schiit at all. Thanks, Dylan.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the initial review and comparison. May I ask for reference purposes you compared the Vidar to what specific NCORE Hypex module , NC252MP or the NC502MP? I see the .7’s are 4 Ohm rated, but what does the OEM state for power numbers?

I ask because I will be driving a set of ML’s ESL-X’s and I think they are similar in some aspects. I ordered the 502’s since they actually go as low as 2 Ohms and can take up to 400 Watts. Of course ML rates them as 6 Ohm speakers but that is obviously very very optimistic and Sales Office derived. Appreciate the feedback from you Sir.

Last edited:

MarkWayne

Adam, I got the 502 for 500 watts into 4 ohms. Are you asking what Magnepan says about the .7s power handling? All I know is that they say up to 1000 watts is fine. I'm using them in an office system, so it would be overkill but it's possible that two of these in a monoblock arrangement would be even better. I have to turn them up to 6 or so (out of 10) and I'm using the Freya which has about 12 db gain I think, so even the 502s get a good workout from the Maggies. I suspect you will be very impressed. Please report back after you receive yours.

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just received my 2 Ch 502 in the Ghent case today. It's out in the garage burning in on my workbench system. Tomorrow it goes into my main kit and will be driving a pair of Tekton Lore Reference towers. I'm moving the IOTAVX SA3/PA3 stack it replaces into another room to become the foundation for a dedicated vinyl setup. I'm pretty excited!

jjmcubed

Forum Donor
Thought I would add some up-to-date "stats" for those that might be interested but are worried about how new I am:

As of 2/3/21

How long is the wait right now. Purchased a Parasound HCA-2003 three channel amp, and one channel went out after approximately four hours. Should have just bought another amp from you.

I'm tempted to keep my 4ch 502 build in my bedroom powering my M105's. Not able to make it to the living room the past couple of months. It also sounds so freaking good! Rated at 50-120 watts, but they are loving the extra power.

Bought Revel Conceta M8's and SVS Prime Satellite for rears, but with me gaming/racing so much, the rears on all the time. Might try another set of M105's or Concerta2 M16s. Sorry for babbling. Just looking for some insight.

Top Bottom