• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: Hypex NCx500 Official Thread

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Hypex NCx500 specs:
- 700w @ 2ohm (per channel, peak)
- 700w @ 4ohm (per channel, peak)
- 380w @ 8ohm (per channel, peak)

You have a choice of two configurations (both at the same price):
- The default configuration uses the onboard stock Hypex buffer stage, which renders our Low/Med/High toggle switch inactive (gain cannot be changed). This configuration is best for use with an AV Receiver and/or when using other Hypex amplifiers in your setup.
- The optional configuration uses our Buckeye buffer stage (OPA1612 OP Amp), allowing for Low/Med/High gain settings via toggle switch on the rear. This configuration is best for use in setups with a source/DAC capable of higher pre-out voltages.
- Choice is not permanent and can be changed by the customer via internal jumpers at anytime.

Custom Input Buffer Board w/:
- Neutrik XLR connectors
- Low, Med, High Gain settings (if using our Buckeye buffer stage w/OPA1612 OP Amp)*
- Error Indication (via Front Power LED)
- Muted Soft-start/shutdown (minimizes speaker “pop” when turning on and off)
- Auto On/Off (along with Always On and 12v options)

*Gain settings, if using the Buckeye buffer stage:
4ohm - 24.2dB/3.3Vrms (High), 19.2dB/5.8Vrms (Medium), 14.2dB/10.3Vrms (Low)
8ohm - 24.2dB/3.4Vrms (High), 19.2dB/6.0Vrms (Medium), 14.2dB/10.8Vrms (Low)

*Gain setting, if using the Hypex onboard buffer stage:
4ohm - 26.8dB/2.4Vrms
8ohm - 26.8dB/2.5Vrms

NCx500 Mono Amplifier:
(1) Hypex NCx500 module
(1) Hypex SMPS1200A700
Neutrik XLR input
Standard 5-way Binding Post outputs
10"x13"x3.5" Aluminum case

NCx500 2ch Amplifier:
(2) Hypex NCx500 modules
(1) Hypex SMPS1200A700
Neutrik XLR inputs
10"x12"x3.5" Aluminum case

NCx500 3ch Amplifier:
(3) Hypex NCx500 modules
(1) Micro Audio 2kW SMPS (exclusive to Buckeye Amps only)
Neutrik XLR inputs
14"x14"x3.5" Aluminum case

*Rackmount case upgrade available for $150

*Free US Shipping
*International shipping available

Email directly ([email protected]) for buying or if you have any questions at all

Visit our website for up to date specs, pricing, and pictures:
Buckeye Amps Official Site

Last edited:
OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Updated the gain settings.

With our NCx builds, you have the ability to choose if you would like to use the onboard Hypex buffer stage, which would bypass the Low, Med, High gain switch(es) on our input board.

Or you can choose to have the Hypex buffer stage bypassed and utilize our Buckeye buffer stage with the OPA1612 and (3) selectable gain settings via the rocker switch(es) on the rear.

STOCK CONFIG:
If no choice is specified during checkout, the stock configuration is to use the onboard Hypex buffer stage.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Great value on the Hypex NCx500 Amplifier, 2-channel, nice!

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
We are currently taking pre-orders for our new line of Hypex NCx500 amplifiers, ETA of shipment is end of May/beginning of June.
For a limited time pre-order pricing is on sale!

NCx500 3ch Amplifier:

(3) Hypex NCx500 modules
*SMPS TBD*
Neutrik XLR inputs
12"x12"x3.5" Aluminum case

*speakON upgrade available for $50
*Rackmount case upgrade available for $150
*Custom Powder Coat finish available for $100 (see website for options)
*Custom Anodizing available for $200 (see website for options)

*Free US Shipping
*International shipping available

PM or email me directly ([email protected]) for buying or if you have any questions at all

For up to date pricing and pictures, please visit my website!

Buckeye Amps Official Site
PM sent...Thanks!

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,
Is the 3-channel version not available for pre-order yet? What would the price be (with/out pre-order sale)? Thanks

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Hi,
Is the 3-channel version not available for pre-order yet? What would the price be (with/out pre-order sale)? Thanks
It is not... pending selection of the SMPS which he currently lists as TBD for that option.

Hapo

...what would be the advantage of bypassing the gain adjustment...???...higher gain...???...

...the description made it easy to choose configurations w/o understanding...

...is Buckeye the same thing as bullseye...???...

Last edited:
OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Hi,
It will hopefully be listed soon. Micro Audio is verifying an SMPS for me to use as a single solution, rather than using multiple Hypex SMPS for the 3ch. Which would also bring with it active PFC,

Cost MSRP of the 3ch will be slightly lower than the 3ch Purifi, final price depends on the SMPS.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
...what would be the advantage of bypassing the gain adjustment...???...higher gain...???...

...the description made it easy to choose configurations w/o understanding...

...is Buckeye the same thing as bullseye...???...
The main advantage of using the Stock Hypex buffer (bypassing our gain adjustments) is higher gain (26.8dB vs. 24.2dB) which allows the amp to be driven to full power output with only 1.8Vrms from a source...this is perfect for pairing with AV receivers or other Hypex amps (as they are gain matched).

Using our gain adjustment (bypassing the stock Hypex buffer) allows for a range of gains, from slightly lower than stock to very low. Perfect for those with sources that put out a high preout voltage.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I plan on having a test unit sent to Amir for a review to be finished before the pre-order's ship. As part of the review, I will ask him to verify measurements of using the Stock Hypex buffer vs. our buffer/gain adjustments so a customer could ask for a switch between one or the other if they feel it necessary before shipment.

And again, these buffers can be easily switched by the customer at anytime by opening the amp and moving a few jumpers. So you are not stuck with your choice.

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Still no word from Micro Audio on the 3 channel smps?

jimk1963

Forum Donor
The main advantage of using the Stock Hypex buffer (bypassing our gain adjustments) is higher gain (26.8dB vs. 24.2dB) which allows the amp to be driven to full power output with only 1.8Vrms from a source...this is perfect for pairing with AV receivers or other Hypex amps (as they are gain matched).

Using our gain adjustment (bypassing the stock Hypex buffer) allows for a range of gains, from slightly lower than stock to very low. Perfect for those with sources that put out a high preout voltage.

The NC502MP data sheet lists the gain as 25.5 dB nominal, 26.0 dB max. If I ran LCR using NCx500’s with stock Hypex buffers, and 4 surrounds with NC502’s (or 252’s), am I correct to assume there would be around 1.3 dB gain delta between the two amps?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
The NC502MP data sheet lists the gain as 25.5 dB nominal, 26.0 dB max. If I ran LCR using NCx500’s with stock Hypex buffers, and 4 surrounds with NC502’s (or 252’s), am I correct to assume there would be around 1.3 dB gain delta between the two amps?
Correct

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The delta isn’t a problem though as all modern AVRs or the like can easily compensate for that.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Down Payment is now allowed for the Hypex NCx500 pre-orders (need to contact me for this option through email or the website Contact form).

The 3ch NCx500 will hopefully be listed soon, however it will not be available until AT LEAST July. The delay is due to having a custom SMPS manufactured by Micro Audio (which will be exclusive to Buckeye Amps) to power (3) NCx modules to full power (whereas others rely on using (3) Hypex SMPS1200's to achieve this). This also allows me to cut down on cost and offer the 3ch NCx for lower than others (the MSRP will be $1495).

Another added bonus is this new SMPS will also be used to eventually offer a 2ch Purifi 1ET7040SA model, capable of full power just like the monoblock version.

ratzak

Has the case for the 3ch NCx500 been finalized? Will the Micro Audio SMPS fit in the 12” wide x 12" deep x 3.5" high case the 3ch Purifi 1ET400A uses?

Top Bottom