• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: Hypex NCx500 Official Thread

Wisehybred

No sir just wondering if you like digital volume. I’ve not seen good implementation of digital control. But I haven’t tested new digital volume in years so maybe the new dacs of this day and age have good enough dynamic range. I’ve heard good things about the RME, wouldnt mind trying one. Thanks

Wisehybred

It is a hybrid design called AutoRef, in which the big chunks of volume is set by gain (analog) and the fine tuning is digital, so that SINAD is kept high through all volumes. And it works automatically, just turn the knob and it does its thing. More info here.
Thank you! I’m very interested.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No sir just wondering if you like digital volume. I’ve not seen good implementation of digital control. But I haven’t tested new digital volume in years so maybe the new dacs of this day and age have good enough dynamic range. I’ve heard good things about the RME, wouldnt mind trying one. Thanks
Modern digital attenuators (volume controls) work with sufficient processing resolution/precision that dynamic range isn't an issue - and analog attenuators issues too.

theblackangus

Unless they changed it... Pin 2 is +, Pins 1,3 should be - from the RCA. That's on the Hypex side. @Buckeye Amps should be able to confirm if you need to convert from RCA. :)

(Pin 1 is shield to GND on the Input side.)
The absolute best/correct way is a for the RCA tip to go to Pin 2, the Shield to go to Pin 1, and a second wire that goes from the ground of the RCA to Pin 3 of the XLR

Thanks guys!
My monoprice converters are wired exactly that way, so I am good to go for now.

theblackangus

Any thoughts on DAC/Preamp from the crowd?
I keep looking at the RME Dac 2 FS and the MinidspSHD.
I will be running on an 2.1 system with the NCx500, but my sub had an inuke with DSP built-in to in either case integration wont be too bad.
Get a streamer with MiniSHD, but get the nice volume control with the RME.
Other thoughts on either of these?
Other ideas that are more cost effective but wont loose performance?

tprevett

I will be running on an 2.1 system with the NCx500, but my sub had an inuke with DSP built-in to in either case integration wont be too bad.
I'm considering the Toppig D70 Pro Sabre. I'm so confused at this point The topping has a 100 Ohm Output Impedance and up to 5 Volts output on the Balanced side of things. Compared to a Schiit Freya S which has a 600ohm Output Impedance and 2 volts.. IS the topping good enought to be used as a preamp with the NCx500? I'm trying to make the best decision to get the most out of the amps, and the best sound.. I wondering if I go with the Topping if I will eventually end up with a proper preamp as well? I wish I knew more about his stuff so I could make the right decision.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I'm considering the Toppig D70 Pro Sabre. I'm so confused at this point The topping has a 100 Ohm Output Impedance and up to 5 Volts output on the Balanced side of things. Compared to a Schiit Freya S which has a 600ohm Output Impedance and 2 volts.. IS the topping good enought to be used as a preamp with the NCx500? I'm trying to make the best decision to get the most out of the amps, and the best sound.. I wondering if I go with the Topping if I will eventually end up with a proper preamp as well? I wish I knew more about his stuff so I could make the right decision.
I would advise you to absolutely use a separate pre-amp:

tprevett

I would advise you to absolutely use a separate pre-amp:

hmm perhaps my original idea of the Schitt Freya S and Modius E is the way to go.

chingaling

I use the the MiniDSP SHD currently and think it’s great. I’ve also had a Topping D50 and a
McIntosh D100. I went with the SHD for the streaming, Dirac Live & PEQ. I don’t use the streamer any more because I run USB straight from my computer. I just basically have it for the Dirac,PEQ, XLR and 4 outputs. I really can’t think of anything better that meets my needs for a 2.2 system and four channels of room correction.

Last edited:

MusicMan77

Anybody have a recommendation of a pre-amp with dedicated sub output?

Wisehybred

I am in the same boat as you. I’m looking at the pre90, RME ADI or other preamp with an analogue volume control with my current schiit Bifrost 2, and buying the 1ET7040SA mono blocks.
I’ve not tried dedicated preamps other than using my receivers with preouts. But I want the best transparenand sound I can achieve within a reasonable budget (don’t really have a dollar amount)
I’ve kicked around the idea of tube preamps but don’t really want to color the sound and want good gain and black background so that’s why pre90 and RME. The parasound series of preamps with HT bypass was on my list until I saw the measurements! I’m still not sold on the digital volume control of the RME ADI even though I’ve been reading all about it.
I would love suggestions as well!
Oh and I have B&W 805s and 803s that I will be using back and forth or in two separate areas. The B&W’s need high current so that’s why the 1ET7040SA monos.

amper42

Major Contributor
I am in the same boat as you. I’m looking at the pre90, RME ADI or other preamp with an analogue volume control with my current schiit Bifrost 2, and buying the 1ET7040SA mono blocks.
I’ve not tried dedicated preamps other than using my receivers with preouts. But I want the best transparenand sound I can achieve within a reasonable budget (don’t really have a dollar amount)
I’ve kicked around the idea of tube preamps but don’t really want to color the sound and want good gain and black background so that’s why pre90 and RME. The parasound series of preamps with HT bypass was on my list until I saw the measurements! I’m still not sold on the digital volume control of the RME ADI even though I’ve been reading all about it.
I would love suggestions as well!
Oh and I have B&W 805s and 803s that I will be using back and forth or in two separate areas. The B&W’s need high current so that’s why the 1ET7040SA monos.

I have the Toppig Pre90 and the RME ADI-2 DAC FS. After trying both I much prefer the RME ADI-2. It has so many more features like EQ and Loudness control and its remote is fantastic. Compare that to the Pre90 remote that's more like a dime store toy and requires a laser focus to work from a 10' distance. To me it's not even a contest. The RME ADI-2 wins by a mile.

theblackangus

Yeah I had read that about the Topping. I was actaully thinking on the velvet until I saw that. Any one see any problems like that with the SMSL?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
II’m still not sold on the digital volume control
It is a shame when audiophile folklore and superstition rather than science guides the choice of gear.

Wisehybred

I have the Toppig Pre90 and the RME ADI-2 DAC FS. After trying both I much prefer the RME ADI-2. It has so many more features like EQ and Loudness control and its remote is fantastic. Compare that to the Pre90 remote that's more like a dime store toy and requires a laser focus to work from a 10' distance. To me it's not even a contest. The RME ADI-2 wins by a mile.
Can analog output be configured to run a subwoofer and setting crossovers?

amper42

Major Contributor
Can analog output be configured to run a subwoofer and setting crossovers?

You can run a subwoofer with the ADI-2 DAC FS. The RCA output is 6db lower in level than the XLR. Both outputs work at the same time. You'll want to Level Match Subs and Mains. Use the crossover in the sub hardware as the RCA and XLR both use the same EQ.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m open to try for sure! The RME sounds like an excellent piece of equipment
And just so you don't lay awake worrying about dynamic range - if you turn up volume to your normal listening level and don't hear any hiss, your dynamic range is as good as it can (audibly) get. Additional measurable dynamic range won't get you any audible benefit.

Wisehybred

And just so you don't lay awake worrying about dynamic range - if you turn up volume to your normal listening level and don't hear any hiss, your dynamic range is as good as it can (audibly) get. Additional measurable dynamic range won't get you any audible benefit.
I read your comment or someone else’s about the ADI AutoRef feature and that explains a lot. Thank you again and I am really looking forward to my new Amps!

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you don't need additional analog inputs and just want a great DAC with a great preamp feature, the RME ADI-2 DAC is killer. Yes, not so cheap as the regular SMSL/Topping DAC of the month, but it is an excellent device built to last with tons of features. Highly recommended.

Totally agreed. I have an RME ADI-2 DAC at the center of my desktop system and I will likely keep it there until my wife directs the emergency crew to carry my carcass out to the compost bin.

Reactions: MAB
Top Bottom