• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: 2nd Generation Purifi EIGANTAKT 1ET9040BA Amplifier

You probably enumerated this in conversation but I missed it. What is the value added difference in the Micro Audio PSU upgrade? Would you mind spelling this out in the original post of this thread?

The biggest benefit is voltage. While the Hypex SMPS1200A180 nominal voltage is 46VDC, during stress loads the voltage dips a decent amount, resulting in not reaching peak output. The Micro Audio SMPS designs do not dip as much. We need to test the final product for the exact number but as an example of previous MA SMPS designs, their SMPS1k with 70VDC we use for the Purifi 1ET7040SA only dipped about 2V during load testing.

Another benefit is Active PFC for better efficiency.

The biggest benefit is voltage. While the Hypex SMPS1200A180 nominal voltage is 46VDC, during stress loads the voltage dips a decent amount, resulting in not reaching peak output. The Micro Audio SMPS designs do not dip as much. We need to test the final product for the exact number but as an example of previous MA SMPS designs, their SMPS1k with 70VDC we use for the Purifi 1ET7040SA only dipped about 2V during load testing.

Another benefit is Active PFC for better efficiency.

It will be interesting to see which PS measures best with the 1ET9040BA, if one offers superior energy efficiency while idle (low listening levels) and if there is a difference in heat generation. Will Buckeye offer these comparisons prior to sale? Thank you!

ETA for taking orders will likely be beginning of July.

I have plenty of the 9040BA modules heading to me soon (ordered and in stock from Purifi).
The Hypex SMPS1200A180 is on back order until July.
And the Micro Audio SMPS1300w SMPS optional upgrade is currently in manufacturing, similar ETA of July as Hypex.

Everything else is ready to go (input board is measuring as expected, which is to say it is not imparting a negative effect on the performance expected).
Awesome, can you confirm what the gain options willl be? Looking for a 19 or so as I need more granularity on my preamp

It will be interesting to see which PS measures best with the 1ET9040BA, if one offers superior energy efficiency while idle (low listening levels) and if there is a difference in heat generation. Will Buckeye offer these comparisons prior to sale? Thank you!
Will have a comparison of both before official listing. But I know there are those who want to pre order regardless as well.

Any news? Do you have a date in mind you are officially releasing your specs and taking orders?
I will be testing a final production build on the AP in the next 10 days or so, then orders will open up

July 1st...Any updates as to the time frame?
Final testing will hopefully be done this week. Everything is in stock. Just want to button up our production model. With the holiday week it might be a little slow getting done by end of week though

Final testing will hopefully be done this week. Everything is in stock. Just want to button up our production model. With the holiday week it might be a little slow getting done by end of week though
Looking forward to getting some finalized details as to the gain, etc. Thanks again-

Here are the gain settings:

4 ohm - 25.5dB/2.9Vrms (High), 20.5dB/5.2Vrms (Medium), 15.5dB/9.2Vrms (Low)
8 ohm - 25.5dB/2.9Vrms (High), 20.5dB/5.2Vrms (Medium), 15.5dB/9.2Vrms (Low)

Please correct me if I am wrong, but if one is using a dac with a 4.2V output, using the medium gain setting would result in less than full output- making the added output of the Micro smps useless and using the High setting one would risk over driving the amp...

Please correct me if I am wrong, but if one is using a dac with a 4.2V output, using the medium gain setting would result in less than full output- making the added output of the Micro smps useless and using the High setting one would risk over driving the amp...
In real world usage you'd likely begin to hurt your ears before you clipped the amp.

In real world usage you'd likely begin to hurt your ears before you clipped the amp.

For most that is probably true with either power supply but for speaker loads that dip down to 1 ohm or less, in a large room, I wonder if that would still be the case...Using an nc1200 amp currently with Acoustat Model 3 speakers my normal listening volume is at a Okto dac volume setting at -20dB. I would see turning it up to nearly full volume without any hearing damage.

For most that is probably true with either power supply but for speaker loads that dip down to 1 ohm or less, in a large room, I wonder if that would still be the case...Using an nc1200 amp currently with Acoustat Model 3 speakers my normal listening volume is at a Okto dac volume setting at -20dB. I would see turning it up to nearly full volume without any hearing damage.
To date with a lot of different combinations of DACs/Preamps/Processors, there have not been any issues with our High gain and 4v (or more) nominal output from the source (this includes the Purifi 1ET400A models, 1ET7040SA models, and the Hypex NCx500 models).

Here are the gain settings:

4 ohm - 25.5dB/2.9Vrms (High), 20.5dB/5.2Vrms (Medium), 15.5dB/9.2Vrms (Low)
8 ohm - 25.5dB/2.9Vrms (High), 20.5dB/5.2Vrms (Medium), 15.5dB/9.2Vrms (Low)

Thank you for the update. I hope you're getting comfortable using the AP555X. Happy 4th. :)

Back
Top Bottom