• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye 3 Channel Purifi Amplifier Review (2nd)

Rate this Multichannel Amplifier

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 24 8.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 245 88.4%

• Total voters
This is a new amp with great measurements - my question - > how does this amplifier sound? How will it sound compared to something like a Parasound Halo A31 in real world music and movie applications? I know it'll beat the pants off of it in SINAD and running more efficient and cooler, but what about actual sound?
Ok, here's an honest answer. Nobody on this planet would be able to hear any difference between the Buckeye amp and any other competantly-designed solid state amplifer.
I would add that any differences heard would be completely subjective in nature, notwithstanding that different combinations of equipment would produce different results. There is no way to make a universal "it sounds like this" statement. If, however, you are wondering how it tastes... slightly metallic, though largely dependent on condiments used, if any.

JPA

Forum Donor
I would add that any differences heard would be completely subjective in nature, notwithstanding that different combinations of equipment would produce different results. There is no way to make a universal "it sounds like this" statement. If, however, you are wondering how it tastes... slightly metallic, though largely dependent on condiments used, if any.
Well that's where we disagree. I think it tastes like chicken.;)
Now I'm out of this thread.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It sounds much like the VTV Purifi, the Buckeye 252, the PA5, etc. However if one turns up the volume very loud the PA5 will begin to suffer 1st, then the 252 but at that point hearing loss is imminent.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a new amp with great measurements - my question - > how does this amplifier sound?
Depends on how hard you hit it, and with what.

Johnplayerson

These days Audio is tested by sending out products to guinea pigs. When it is found to be defective, the company is praised for correcting it. Lets hope so. Use to be consumers demanded quality products off the hop.... Now they celebrate receiving defective product, and having it repaired.

Overseas

Major Contributor
These days Audio is tested by sending out products to guinea pigs. When it is found to be defective, the company is praised for correcting it. Lets hope so. Use to be consumers demanded quality products off the hop.... Now they celebrate receiving defective product, and having it repaired.
I think the concept is called MVP, minimum viable product. No joke.

aphysically

@Buckeye Amps Is there any downside to using the 'auto' mode over 'on' in e.g. time to power on/first start outputting audio? What's the idle power draw in 'on' mode?

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
@Buckeye Amps Is there any downside to using the 'auto' mode over 'on' in e.g. time to power on/first start outputting audio? What's the idle power draw in 'on' mode?
No downside. The Auto mode trips in about 1-2 seconds.

In On mode, the SMPS is still idle and will draw a few watts

amper42

Major Contributor

The Buckeye Stereo Purifi uses 14W when idle with the Power "On" mode selected. It only uses 14.5W while driving the Revel F328BE to 75dB. Personally, I prefer turning the amp off when not in use and use the "On" power mode. The Buckeye "auto" mode can sometimes allow audio dropouts with low volume classical music and may require a few seconds of music signal before it starts to play.

droid2000

The amp seems to stay pretty warm when it turns off in "auto" mode, so I manually turn it off to be safe. Not sure what I'm keeping it safe from, but I don't like it staying warm all the time.

Martini

Forum Donor
I use the 12v trigger to turn mine on. Works great and sounds great!

jimk1963

I use the 12v trigger to turn mine on. Works great and sounds great!
The Buckeye Stereo Purifi uses 14W when idle with the Power "On" mode selected. It only uses 14.5W while driving the Revel F328BE to 75dB. Personally, I prefer turning the amp off when not in use and use the "On" power mode. The Buckeye "auto" mode can sometimes allow audio dropouts with low volume classical music and may require a few seconds of music signal before it starts to play.
Do you know if the 12V trigger turns the amp completely off, or at least down to 0.5W or less? I'd prefer to use the trigger vs. manually flipping a switch, if it works similarly.

amper42

Major Contributor
Do you know if the 12V trigger turns the amp completely off, or at least down to 0.5W or less? I'd prefer to use the trigger vs. manually flipping a switch, if it works similarly.
I don't think Dylan has a Kill-o-watt to measure watts used by the Buckeye Purifi in different configurations. I asked him for that data previously and it was answered with "a few watts" instead of exact measurements. I use the Purifi with the ADI-2 DAC FS and did not have a trigger. There will always be some power used by any amp in trigger mode as it needs to be waiting for a signal to become active. How much would require a measuring device and a DAC or AVR setup in trigger mode with the Purifi connected.

I would like to see power usage added to ASR reviews. In the case of the Buckeye Purifi the review could report idle power use in "On" mode, "trigger" mode and "Auto". My guess is the power use in trigger mode may be close to leaving the Purifi in "On" mode while idle. The 14W idle power use of the Purifi is significantly lower than the 23W idle power use of the Buckeye NC502MP.

Last edited:

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
It won’t be the 0.5W as the Hypex SMPS will be on standby mode and not off it using Auto or 12v.

One change we hope to make late this year is better control of the SMPS to further bring down idle/standby wattage

Top Bottom