• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye 3 Channel Purifi Amplifier Review (2nd)

Rate this Multichannel Amplifier

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 24 8.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 245 88.4%

• Total voters

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The reference design is as simple as it gets. And it does have an opamp input buffer. It’s extremely easy to meet or exceed the specs of the reference design. All those other features will not degrade performance in a competent design.

Are you saying the Buckeye amp is not a competent design?

If you bought a Lamborghini that was rated at 700hp, and it only had 550, would you be cool with it anyways because the interstate speed limit is only 70mph?
If it performs better than cars costing twice as much, yeah, I'd be cool with it. Cost to performance ratio in the real world is most important to me. In this case, 700 vs 550 is overstating things a bit. More like 700 vs 698, at which point we're splitting hairs. I still appreciate the debate. This "discussion" is so... ASR :p

thegeton

Forum Donor
The measurements show that there is some compromises in the design that do not exist in the reference. And that’s not an opinion. It’s just accurately understanding the data shared in this review.

Then you should buy the reference design kit and assemble it yourself. ~ USD $682.47 for a 2 channel version, plus shipping.

thegeton

Forum Donor
Why when there’s several finished 3 channel 1ET400A based amps on the market that meet or exceed reference design specs?

You've answered your own question.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess I was supposed to make a no selectable gain amp to appease a complete apples to apples comparison against other offerings.

My bad :facepalm:
That stuff aside. Have you delved into getting a test rig to test each of the units as they go out the door?

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
That stuff aside. Have you delved into getting a test rig to test each of the units as they go out the door?
Oh yes, I have my own setup now. And all new designs/revisions go through separate testing by other parties as well.

BossBunos

Those 90% should riot in streets and demand standardization in amplifier gain. I didn't create that problem. Industry did. I am just trying to live with it. There are amplifiers with no gain above 15 dB. Are you asking that they don't get put in the chart regardless of their performance?

As to Purifi reference, there was no low gain in it. You could bypass the buffer but that is not the same as low gain and hence the reason it is not listed that way in the graph.

Also, since I have put amps with max gain of 15 dB in the chart, then it follows that I use low gain for other amps.

Finally, everyone better get onboard 4 volt output requirement since vast majority of proper DACs I test have that level of output. We need to move the industry in that direction, not fight against it.

Really, just live with an imperfect situation. Remember that the power of SINAD is not necessarily in the value itself but the predictive power it has to indicate excellence in engineering which is what we are after.
Is the chart generated based on data or manually assembled? I certainly think the chart is a good thing. I mean you want to buy something in blue, not orange. So it's really useful for a quick filter. But i do agree with many on the comparison part in the blue area especially. It would help if for example the gain is shown on the bar or something. In case it's a generated chart it may not be too difficult to add?
Thanks for the measurement as always!

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
And I wouldn’t complain because even though it’s 2dB worse than the Nord in high gain, (even with the extra 2dB gain of the Nord) yours is rated better on the charts. So you should still sell more than Nord from this advertisement.
Oh, Amir advertises for manufacturers now? I guess he should start charging like other forums, he is missing out.

thecheapseats

Which means it has devolved into quibbling over inaudible specs? Check.

*hides mischievous grin behind hand

:p
For myself, every one of these classD amp reviews here, with attached comments are helpful - even the quibbling, as it paints an info picture for me...

I follow all the classD reviews here, having been tasked with shopping for systems components for family... first for my younger brother who just retired (knows nothing about audio but wants good quality) - and second, for my son who was audio-spoiled growing up here, knows what sounds great - but in his mid-twenties and now on his own, he doesn't have nutty money to spend...

Please continue... and thank you in advance... especially @amirm ...

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Why do manufacturers send gear here? To lose sales, or gain sales? Is a higher rating on the best amp chart, better for sales, or worse for sales?
I can't speak for others, but I have always supported customers to send the amp they purchased so I can be held accountable.

As I said, if Amir's goal with these reviews and his charts was to advertise, he would be charging.

Why do manufacturers send gear here? To lose sales, or gain sales? Is a higher rating on the best amp chart, better for sales, or worse for sales?
Most gear is sent to Amir from members. He is very transparent about his testing methodology. Other reviewers don't come close to this level of detail and openness. Your concerns about bias would be much better placed elsewhere.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Ok so sales to you don’t matter, and you’re just sending them here for Amir to find flaws in the design? None of your sales to date have came from this forum?

It’s a mutually beneficial system. As long as your gear measures good. The manufacturer gets free advertising, and Amir gets more traffic. Which in turn increases the monetary value of the forum.
Actually edited my comment because I have never sent anything on my own, nor asked a customer to send to date. All four reviews have been customers contacting me telling me they want to send in their purchase. And I have always supported that choice.

Last edited:

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Most gear is sent to Amir from members. He is very transparent about his testing methodology. Other reviewers don't come close to this level of detail and openness. Your concerns about bias would be much better placed elsewhere.
Yes, this.

One could argue it could be more nuanced, and it's not perfect, but what is? The chart is not intentionally dishonest.
I’m only going off of what I see. Why should an amp that measures worse in all metrics have a higher rating on the best amp chart? Explain This to me, and how it helps the members, or casual readers make better purchase decisions.
This has already been answered for you.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
It’s a mutually beneficial system. As long as your gear measures good. The manufacturer gets free advertising, and Amir gets more traffic. Which in turn increases the monetary value of the forum.
Making some bold and all encompassing claims for being here less than a day. We have no monitorization here. No endorsements no commercial advertisements. We are Member funded by donations and our generous host @amirm pays what’s left to keep the Server running and the lights on. You couldn’t be farther from the truth in your half day assessment. But please go on, I can’t wait to hear what you accuse us of next!

Top Bottom