• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye 3 Channel Purifi Amplifier Review (2nd)

Rate this Multichannel Amplifier

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 24 8.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 245 88.4%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a second review of the Buckeye 3-Channel Purifi based balanced class D amplifier. First sample had an issue with its binding posts increasing distortion. It costs US US $1,595.
Buckeye 3 channel purifi amplifier class D amplifier Multichannel Review.jpg

Typical of Buckeye amplifiers, focus on what is inside rather the case which is utilitarian. An indicator nicely shows status of the amplifier (on, fault or overload). Back panel sports a 3-way switch for setting the gain which is very nice to have:
index.php

Let's get right into the measurements to see if the issue with distortion is resolved (I ran full suite of tests).

Buckeye Purifi 3 Channel Amplifier Measurements
Let's start with our low gain dashboard:
Buckeye 3 channel purifi amplifier Low Gain balanced measurements.png

Looking at the spectrum of the FFT we see a large reduction in harmonic distortion compared to the first sample. SINAD as a result improves a bit although it is mostly noise limited. Still, we match the reference design, landing the amp solidly in our top 20 best amplifiers ever measured (out of over 200):
best high end multichannel amplifier review.png

You need pro type interface to drive the low gain to full power (as much as 7 volts for 4 ohm). Fortunately high gain hardly brings any penalty:
Buckeye 3 channel purifi amplifier High Gain balanced measurements.png

Request was made to show power with reactive loads as opposed to just resistive as is the norm in my reviews (and industry). Using my new PowerCube loadbox, I can do that:

Buckeye 3 channel purifi amplifier High Gain balanced reactive measurements.png

Capacitive load doesn't change things but inductive loads it down a bit more. SINAD remains more or less the same so really, nothing of worry.

SNR is the same as before and excellent:

Buckeye 3 channel purifi amplifier Low Gain balanced SNR measurements.png

Frequency response is flat as always: (should say "NO load impedance dependency"
Buckeye 3 channel purifi amplifier Low Gain balanced Frequency Response measurements.png

Oh, forgot to mention that I am testing channels 1 and 3. Due to larger distance, crosstalk is even better now (and was incredible before):
Buckeye 3 channel purifi amplifier Low Gain balanced Crosstalk measurements.png

Multitone shows an improvement of 2 bits:
Buckeye 3 channel purifi amplifier Low Gain balanced Multitone measurements.png

Let's dig into power measurement where we saw the rising distortion before:
Buckeye 3 channel purifi amplifier Low Gain balanced Power 4 ohm measurements.png

Performance is far improved. No longer do we have a large hump in mid-power region. There is a small increase that exists but we can ignore it:
Buckeye 3 channel purifi amplifier Low Gain balanced Power 8 ohm measurements.png

Power remains as before:
Buckeye 3 channel purifi amplifier Low Gain balanced Max and Peak Power 4 ohm measurements.png

Buckeye 3 channel purifi amplifier Low Gain balanced 3 channel Max and Peak Power 4 ohm measur...png

Here is the warm up behavior:
Buckeye 3 channel purifi amplifier warm up balanced measurements.png

I didn't re-run the on/off pop test. Should be the same as before (which was very good).

Reactive Load Amplifier Power Testing
Let's use our fancy Powercube loadbox to simulate both capacitive and inductive loads ranging from 8 down to 2 ohms (amplifier goes into protection with 1 ohm):
Buckeye 3 channel purifi amplifier Low Gain balanced Reactive Power measurements.png

(ignore the color differences.) Response is perfect. Regardless of load impedance down to 2 ohm reactive, the amplifier maintains the same output voltage. Can't ask for more.

Conclusions
It is great to see such responsive companies such as Buckeye that take the results of a review and instantly jump on the issue identified to resolve it. And resolve they have. Performance is essentially identical to Purifi reference design. Value added is provided in the form of a 3-gain buffer stage and powerful power supply that allows all three channels to produce near full power when driven simultaneously. Results is one of the cleanest/most transparent multichannel amplifiers you can buy.

I am happy to add the Buckeye Purifi 3-Channel amplifier to my recommended list.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Appreciate any donations using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Last edited:

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Home run Buckeye! Awesome and demonstrates how a vendor can work with ASR to further refine and improve their end product to the customer. Knowing exactly what you are paying for and getting via this relationship is a huge benefit for our Members and Readers. Win/Win. Nice follow up evaluation Amir.

All for less than a cup of free coffee. :cool:

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So who is getting the one with bad binding posts that requires measurement equipment to discover? QC is something to have.
As far as I know, he has retrofit any that were sold with the old binding posts although there may not have been many shipped that way.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
As far as I know, he has retrofit any that were sold with the old binding posts although there may not have been many shipped that way.
Honesty in the Audio World! And in my lifetime no less. :oops:

JktHifi

More channel, more noise/distortion. Is it right?
Previously the 8-channel from the same brand got SINAD 90dB.

Or, less signal because more channel?

{\displaystyle \mathrm {SINAD} ={\frac {P_{\text{signal}}+P_{\text{noise}}+P_{\text{distortion}}}{P_{\text{noise}}+P_{\text{distortion}}}},}

Last edited:

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
I remain astonished at how significant the impact of the binding post's material was on the original unit. This is such a valid demonstration of the value of objective measurement. Well done @amirm and @Buckeye Amps

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yeah so, that's why I would really like to have speakON connectors as an option

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Considering the recently reviewed Topping Amplifier goes into protection at 2 Ohm I find it difficult to not consider this as a superior product.

Is this already using the new NCoreX architecture?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So, do you mean purifi is better than hypex? Or, is it just bad design from the 8-channel?
Yes, Purifi is a newer, more advanced design than the original NCore. There's also the next generation Hypex NCoreX / Nilai that should be an improvement over the original NCore. That being said the NCores are still very very good and at this point it's more of 'how far can we perfect it' than actual audible improvements.

Sokel

Master Contributor
If anyone would ever claimed that such a thing as the material of the clamp connectors with the binding posts matters without evidence the least that would happened to him would be tar and feathers here.
But experience on the one hand (@pma ) and state of the art instrumentation and skilled operator on the other (@amirm ) found such a case along with the solution.
Nothing will surprise me from now on.

Thanks Amir!

martijn86

No amount of advertising can achieve this level of trust in a brand. We'll done Buckeye and thanks again Amir! Very interesting to see the powercube load measurements, although I'm not entirely sure how to read them yet. Consistency is most important I guess?

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Phew!!! That to me is a bang for the buck amp if i’ve seen one.

Top Bottom