• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye 3 Channel Purifi Amplifier Review (2nd)

Rate this Multichannel Amplifier

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 24 8.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 245 88.4%

• Total voters

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Personally, I prefer locking XLRs for cable to cable connections and non-locking on the back/front of gear. That way if a cable is pulled hard, it won't drag a piece of equipment to the floor, or break a chassis mount connector.

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There are good and bad points to the low cost product in a market segment. The good is you get a great value for your money but at an "any color you want as long as it's black" cost. Want free returns? Want a nicer case? Lock on XLR's? A different arrangement of modules or power supplies in a multichannel amp? A certain input/buffer board arrangement? Nope. The price you pay for low cost is a reduction in options. That's how the price stays low. Best to buy the basic amp then customize yourself. Not difficult to upgrade the case, etc. on one's own.

Last edited:

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now only if this vendor would offer a discount

Umm, he is. Everyone who orders one is getting them at a discount over any other source. Given the number of hours spent developing the products (i.e. designing boards and power supplies), ordering and maintaining parts, assembling, shipping, and responding to people, I am pretty sure he is making less than minimum wage. This is someone doing it because they enjoy it, not to get rich.

Sokel

Master Contributor
For what it's worth my little interface has been working for 13 years with the nice 2-way Neutric NON-lockable XLR been in and out (sometimes several times a day) and have the measurements to prove it.
BUT,it's XRLs are board mounted not chassis mounted,so it makes sense in case someone drags it not to damage internal PCB.

On the other hand I wouldn't trust my active electronic crossover with the lockable XLRs to be otherwise as there are occasions (in my conditions) where i need to move it so I need the extra security.But this one has chassis mounted XLRs so it's internal are safe under any abuse.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Would you rather he just let you go on and not learn the proper nomenclature and resultingly use the proper word?

I'm pondering Poe's law. :)

Anyway @restorer-john makes a good point: I've not worried about the locking XLR on my heavy-ish amp but on a lightweight device like the Buckeye (or any of the super-compact class-D) it's something to think about.

squared80

There are good and bad points to the low cost product in a market segment. The good is you get a great value for your money but at an "any color you want as long as it's black" cost.

You can get basically any color you want from BuckeyeAmps, at a great value.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Umm, he is. Everyone who orders one is getting them at a discount over any other source. Given the number of hours spent developing the products (i.e. designing boards and power supplies), ordering and maintaining parts, assembling, shipping, and responding to people, I am pretty sure he is making less than minimum wage. This is someone doing it because they enjoy it, not to get rich.
LOL it doesn't matter how "affordable" the product, there's always somebody who wishes it was priced $100 and then later complain that customer service was abysmal and would rather pay $2000 for better service. To add insult to injury, once you improve the service in the hopes to win over this demanding customer, he goes and buys it used on Ebay.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL it doesn't matter how "affordable" the product, there's always somebody who wishes it was priced $100 and then later complain that customer service was abysmal and would rather pay $2000 for better service. To add insult to injury, once you improve the service in the hopes to win over this demanding customer, he goes and buys it used on Ebay.
Hardest part of any business is learning what “customers” you don’t want and how to avoid them.

Hipster Doofus

Forum Donor
Hey…I represent that remark…LOL

Scott586

I'm in the market for a 3-channel amp & these recent class D designs certainly have me intrigued. This Buckeye offering might just fit the bill so thanks for that. It's unfortunate this thread has been allowed to derail multiple times. I do enjoy hearing other member's opinions when they're on-topic.

Last edited:

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There are good and bad points to the low cost product in a market segment. The good is you get a great value for your money but at an "any color you want as long as it's black" cost. Want free returns? Want a nicer case? Lock on XLR's? A different arrangement of modules or power supplies in a multichannel amp? A certain input/buffer board arrangement? Nope. The price you pay for low cost is a reduction in options. That's how the price stays low. Best to buy the basic amp then customize yourself. Not difficult to upgrade the case, etc. on one's own.
Hmmm, I asked PS Audio to make me an amp with a nicer case or in a different color than their normal ones and they said no. Same with D'Agostino and Audio Research. I guess that's the price I pay for going with low-cost manufacturers.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm in the market for a 3-channel amp & these recent class D designs certainly have me intrigued. This Buckeye offering might just fit the bill so thanks for that. It's unfortunate this thread has been allowed to be derailed multiple times. I do enjoy hearing other member's opinions when they're on-topic.
You don't pay for useless fluff with a Buckeye Amp unit. You save money and could put that savings into other stuff. :D

xirtam2005

This is a new amp with great measurements - my question - > how does this amplifier sound? How will it sound compared to something like a Parasound Halo A31 in real world music and movie applications? I know it'll beat the pants off of it in SINAD and running more efficient and cooler, but what about actual sound?

JPA

Forum Donor
This is a new amp with great measurements - my question - > how does this amplifier sound? How will it sound compared to something like a Parasound Halo A31 in real world music and movie applications? I know it'll beat the pants off of it in SINAD and running more efficient and cooler, but what about actual sound?
:facepalm:

Top Bottom