• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye 3 Channel Purifi Amplifier Review (2nd)

Rate this Multichannel Amplifier

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 24 8.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 245 88.4%

• Total voters

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
At the time of board production, the latching XLR model was on large backorder, so we chose to test out the non-latching and found them to work just as well.

They are the same exact cost, same Neutrik quality.

Thanks for the explanation. Knowing they are the same cost and quality, there had to be some practical reason. The fact that the latching type was on backorder perhaps speaks to the preference in the market for the latching type. Clearly, since they make both types, each has an advantage in certain applications. Which type has the advantage in this application can be debated but since there is no choice, there is no point in further discussion.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Some more clarification:

- The Spring Tension (what you would call latchless) Neutriks still use a latch that engages with the slot of the mating Neutrik connector....the the connection won't just fall out/vibrate loose (it is nothing like a friction connection of an RCA cable)

- The amount of force required to pull the connection apart is noticeable, so even with tight cable bends in a rackmount, the connection will not "pop" loose

- Another advantage is that there is no risk of a connection becoming stuck....with traditional latching XLR, if the latch mechanism ever fails (while rare), removing the cable involves either using a proper tool to free the connector or taking apart the XLR house.

thegeton

Forum Donor
Latching XLRs are a pain. From a usability perspective, non-latching are much easier. I too, make frequent changes to my systems and I much prefer non-latching XLRs.

I would add, that I have 3 dogs, a curious 2 yo grand daughter, and a highly skeptical spouse, none of whom have ever "accidentally" pulled anything out of anywhere on any of my systems.

Unless you're planning on using your amp as a counterweight and doing some rappelling down the back side of your audio rack, latching XLRs seem like overkill to me.

Your mileage may vary.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
The fact that the latching type was on backorder perhaps speaks to the preference in the market for the latching type.
Obviously, yes. But the home audio market also has a preference for speaker binding posts over speakONs, so merely using configuration metrics isn't in itself an indicator of quality or performance.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Latching XLRs are a pain. From a usability perspective, non-latching are much easier.
I had a latching connector fail on an amp and it was impossible to disconnect the cable. The input connector had to be removed and replaced.

The only feature these amps lack for my needs is a front panel power switch. My equipment is almost always rack mounted and reaching around behind a rack to power the amp on or off is impractical. External power management can take care of that issue, but a front power switch would be nice.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Let’s get back to the Review and take these amp ordering questions and configuration questions and answers to the Amp Sale thread linked in Buckeye Amps signature.

Please and thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Go here to discuss specifics/configuring of amp ordering: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...urifi-mono-2ch-and-3ch-official-thread.30552/
Then close the thread? There is not much one can or needs to say about the measurements that Amir didn't cover.

Edit: Feel free to delete all of my posts on this thread if you feel that appropriate.

goryu

Obviously, yes. But the home audio market also has a preference for speaker binding posts over speakONs, so merely using configuration metrics isn't in itself an indicator of quality or performance.

The "L" in XLR stands for "locking". There are applications for which the locking version has advantages, and there are applications in which the non-locking version must have advantages (presumably where ease of cable changing would take preference over cable security, ideally). Your decision as you stated was made on availability, which is understandable, rather than on end user preferences or other performance based factors. As has been noted here, there will be those who prefer the non-locking type as well as those who prefer the locking type. Since I will not be changing cables with any frequency, I prefer the known security of the locking version if given the choice. Since I have no choice, I will be experiencing the non locking type for the first time. I expect them to perform to my satisfaction. If they become an issue, I will address it. Thanks.

thegeton

Forum Donor

"The XLR connector originated from the Cannon X series of connectors; by 1950, a latching mechanism was added to the connector, which produced the Cannon XL model of connector..."

Color added for emphasis.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am a bit confused about 3 channel amplifiers:: is there such a thing as a '3 channel' audio?
If not, where did the other two channels (and their content as rear L/R) go... or where is the 3rd one coming from?:oops:
I think I finally figured out this riddle about the need for a 3-Channel power amplifier [and w/o using WolframAlpha]!
Application: If you currently own a satisfactory 2-Channel (1 amp+2 speakers) stereo set-up, this Buckeye amp would be a great option in upgrading to a 5-Channel set-up, w/o breaking the bank, and while retaining the current hardware. ==> "2+3 = 5"
I have tried 5-Channel setups w/my Rotel Amp and abandoned my attempts to go multi-channel setup due to complexity and with unsatisfactory results in three attempts.
Even reducing channel count down to L/C/R was an unworkable solution for my setup and now use the Rotel to bi-wire my L/R front speakers only.:)

goryu

"By the early 50’s, the Cannon X connector had been through an upgrade. They added a locking latch mechanism to the original design so that the plug would stay in place. The “L” in XLR stands for the word “locking” or “latching” to reflect this design improvement. They called the new connector the Cannon XL."

You can play semantics and call it "locking" or "latching" but clearly the intent of the original plug nomenclature was to highlight the fact that these connectors locked on, that is, they can not be removed without depressing a button. Later designs without the "latching" mechanism do not "lock" on, period. Those without the "mechanism" can and do, according to anecdotal reports on pro audio sites, loosen, and/or can be pulled out as they have a friction fit, unlike those with the original "mechanism", which physically prevents the connectors from being separated once engaged without depressing a button.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You can play semantics and call it "locking" or "latching"
Would you rather he just let you go on and not learn the proper nomenclature and resultingly use the proper word?

goryu

Would you rather he just let you go on and not learn the proper nomenclature and resultingly use the proper word?

If you do a google search you will find that locking, latching, locking latch, etc. are all terms used in reference to the "L" in XLR. Thus, there doesn't appear to be a "proper" term. Of course, if it is of concern to you, you could check the original Cannon patent to see what terminology was used. Personally, I am more interested in the original meaning of the L, which was undeniably and clearly "lock", than in the proper nomenclature, which may or may not be "latch", which can be twisted to imply that the non-locking connectors are somehow the same in function as the original locking connectors.

In any case, I notice that the moderators wish this conversation moved to a different thread so out of respect for their wishes, as well as a complete lack of desire on my part to continue this conversation, I'm out.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
202304_OriginalCannonXLRplug.jpg

UnitedStates, Britain, Austral... ???
This one is circa 1960s, as ITT take-over did not occur until then.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Come on guys. We try to keep Review Threads about the Technical Aspects of the Product under review. We do this because it is one of the biggest Asks from the Members. They don’t want to have to wade through pages of off topic posts to get to the technical and engineering details of the tested product. Getting angry at the mods for enforcing what the Membership wants is misplaced. There is a Sales Thread for conversations about purchasing and the various aspects of configuration available. Buckeye Amps certainly monitors both threads. We also don’t desire for Review Threads to turn into Sales Threads. Trying to achieve a balance between what the members want and not stifling conversation and questions. Your all big boys and you can figure out what thread to use for your specific inquiry. ;)

I don’t appreciate being called out for enforcing rules that the majority of members desire. If you can’t comply with this, then don’t post. Respect and dignity goes both ways. Thank you for your support and understanding.

goryu

I don’t appreciate being called out for enforcing rules that the majority of members desire. If you can’t comply with this, then don’t post. Respect and dignity goes both ways. Thank you for your support and understanding.

I hope you didn't take my comment "In any case, I notice that the moderators wish this conversation moved to a different thread so out of respect for their wishes, as well as a complete lack of desire on my part to continue this conversation, I'm out." to be a "call out" or in any way made in disrespect. On the contrary, my comment was made with respect to the post above asking for these XLR comments to be made in a different thread. My apologies if my intentions were misconstrued, absolutely no disrespect implied or intended.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
View attachment 279683
UnitedStates, Britain, Austral... ???
This one is circa 1960s, as ITT take-over did not occur until then.

That is a 240V ITT/Cannon power connector, made in the Australian factory in the 1980s. They existed right up until the 90s, but fell out of use and are obsolete now AFAIK.

Last edited:
Top Bottom