• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye 3 Channel Purifi Amplifier Review (2nd)

Rate this Multichannel Amplifier

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 24 8.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 245 88.4%

• Total voters

emilkoz

Not sure what you are getting at, please further explain. Since most speakers have two, three, or more drivers which produce sound.

Generally speaking a person wouldn’t buy a three channel amp and use it as a mono block
Sorry and yes as Julf guessed, I'm in the active camp :).

mdunjic

Not sure what you are getting at, please further explain. Since most speakers have two, three, or more drivers which produce sound.

Generally speaking a person wouldn’t buy a three channel amp and use it as a mono block
Yes exactly ... my Buckeye Purify based 2-ch power amp drives Neat Acoustics Motive 1 speaker's tweeter + midrange drivers, while nCore nc502mp based 2-ch power amp is driving bass drivers ... no issues with tweeters at all

Last edited:

mdunjic

I assume @emilkoz is thinking about driving the speaker actively, with a separate amp/channel for each driver - and wondering if 250W for just the tweeter wouldn't be overkill.
At my listening levels I am definitely wasting watts (probably using a minuscule fraction of available wattage per channel) but I don't care ... I could easily go with one of these amps and not bi-amp my speakers ... but now I have virtually unlimited power available per channel, giving me effortless pure sound and that's what matters to me ... these nCore and Purify based power amps are so cheap compared to class A / AB power amps that can measure similarly and that have similar wattage per channel (they are 10x heavier too)

ptf

It won’t be the 0.5W as the Hypex SMPS will be on standby mode and not off it using Auto or 12v.

One change we hope to make late this year is better control of the SMPS to further bring down idle/standby wattage
Dylan, have you made the SMPS changes to bring down idle/standby wattage yet for currently shipping amps? If so, any power saving at idle advantages to using 12v trigger vs Auto. Looking forward to receiving my new Buckeye amps soon!

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Dylan, have you made the SMPS changes to bring down idle/standby wattage yet for currently shipping amps? If so, any power saving at idle advantages to using 12v trigger vs Auto. Looking forward to receiving my new Buckeye amps soon!
No change yet. That will likely be a new year roll out/implementation as there a few other things involved simultaneously.

ptf

The 2kW will not be for the 3ch Purifi. But there is another version from Micro Audio that will be used.
When would the Micro Audio PS version of the 3-ch Purifi be available? Mine's on order now, and idle power usage is always a concern here.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Regarding idle, I have been monitoring a 3ch Purifi build inside my rack for a few months now and internal temp of the amp never goes above 80F (room is 74F ambient). So aside from the slightly elevated wattage draw in idle, long term temps are not really an issue/factor.

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Much more secure and tight connection. Better than bananas or spades for sure.
Yep!
While speakon are better, my point was that for most of people, it is not common to be a mandatory criteria for choosing an amp in non pro/pa world.

amper42

Major Contributor
Much more secure and tight connection. Better than bananas or spades for sure.

It would be nice if SpeakOn connectors were currently available on Buckeye amps again without having to buy a rack mount case. You got them at the right time @Rottmannash.

Boxem has SpeakON connectors available for all of his NCx500 amps. They also have a nice looking case, auto off with a 0.5W draw after 10 minutes idle and an amazing build quality. Looks like a bit more attention to detail.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
It would be nice if SpeakOn connectors were currently available on Buckeye amps again without having to buy a rack mount case. You got them at the right time @Rottmannash.

Boxem has SpeakON connectors available for all of his NCx500 amps. They also have a nice looking case, auto off with a 0.5W draw after 10 minutes idle and an amazing build quality. Looks like a bit more attention to detail.
As is always the case, I will never be able to please everyone.

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
It is nice to have the choice of Buckeye Amps or boXem audio for amplification.

Kimbrough Xu

I know this is sort of off topic, but I have to just say that after some 30 years of first Usenet and then forums of all sorts, ASR is the Best.Forum.Ever! Hands down, no contest! I love this place! People don't get really worked up about stuff they don't give a poop about. Amir, you are a gift, a national treasure, thank you so much for putting up with all of us!
Yes, Although many people would prefer to listen rather than measure, this still gives us an objective comparison.

Kimbrough Xu

In my case I will be actively amping my 3 way speakers so I need 3 channels per side. One three channel amp per speaker plus another 2 channel amp for the 4 subs...
Which speaker are you using?

Top Bottom