• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye 3 Channel Purifi Amp Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 19 6.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 66 24.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 151 55.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 38 13.9%

• Total voters

Fuzzy

Forum Donor
Just received the speaker post connection update or modification from Dylan at Buckeye for the 2 channel Purifi amp that I bought last year. The installation only took a few minutes and was very easy. The sound is unchanged to my ears. Great before and still great. I also received a new 4 channel Hypex amplifier nc252mp from Dylan for surround channels. It works and sounds great too. Happy camper here.

Hapo

...this issue is what sold me on the brand...that and USA...

...the moment I saw the NCx500 products were available for pre order I ordered one...

...I had planned on having it shipped to Amir, but it turns out Buckeye is sending him one before production commences...

...it looks like Amir is in on it...!!!...

Last edited:

Hapo

Have you considered that I might understand that and still have the same opinion? Here's why...

If you're going to spend ~1500 on an amp why scrimp on the appearance for the sake of saving maybe £100? Are people shopping in this range really so price sensitive that a 5-10% price hike to cover the cost of a nice case going to shop for an ugly cheaper model instead? I don't see it.

...I do...I just look in the mirror...

...Nord apparently leaves that choice to the customer, offering a deluxe case option, so yes some people care...

...it's not like Buckeye doesn't...they offer options as well...

*speakON upgrade available for $50
*Rackmount case upgrade available for $150
*Custom Powder Coat finish available for $100 (see website for options)
*Custom Anodizing available for $200 (see website for options)

Last edited:
New review is up for version two of the Purifi 3-channel! Almost missed it. Link is included in the 1st post. Congrats Dylan.

howard416

I gotta pinch myself that I'm really reading this. Consdering the good service, what's a little rising THD between friends? Heck you can just reprogram the government micronanobots in the COVID and flue and shingles vaccines to allow you to ignore it...
You know, it’s obviously a joke, but the thing about jokes is that they can become memes, and there are irrational people out there who really start falling for constant messaging, even that which normal people would find ridiculous.

Mowz

You know, it’s obviously a joke, but the thing about jokes is that they can become memes, and there are irrational people out there who really start falling for constant messaging, even that which normal people would find ridiculous.
Luckily we are now monitoring those people constantly for their own good:

howard416

@Buckeye Amps , maybe a stupid question - any iron/ steel Faston terminals in the signal path, especially on input XLR?
Is this from steel being the primary conductance path for the audio signal? Or is there a contribution if there is steel anywhere near/contacting the signal path? Or merely from surface oxidation from e.g. once the chrome/nickel/copper/whatever plating wears away?

For example, there are many types of connectors that have absolutely no ferrous material in the near vicinity (brass banana plugs, PCB pin headers, etc.). Then there are some connector types that do have ferrous material in them, such as (I assume) Speakon connectors where the wire terminals have steel screws, and terminal blocks such as these where the steel screw is a parallel path of conductance with the brass?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
...now I am looking Class D amps to shade my Adcom GFA 5500, which I deary love like a family member...
Classic Adcoms Rule. ;)
IMG_2911.JPG

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey!: I recognize that (and, have at times, resembled that):

David Mann ((1940-09-10)September 10, 1940 —(2004-09-11)September 11, 2004) was a California graphic artist whose paintings celebrated biker culture, and choppers. Called "the biker world's artist-in-residence," his images are ubiquitous in biker clubhouses and garages, on motorcycle gas tanks, tattoos, and on T-shirts and other memorabilia associated with biker culture. Choppers have been built based on the bikes first imagined in a David Mann painting.

In the words of an anthropologist studying biker culture in New Zealand, "Mann’s paintings set ‘outlaw’ Harley chopper motorcycles against surreal backgrounds, and distorted skylines, colourful images that celebrated the chopper motorcycle and the freedom of the open road ... Many of his images captured the ‘Easyrider’ ethos – speed, the open road, long flowing hair – freedom." Most of his works were designed for the motorcycle industry, especially for motorcycle magazines.

(I do wonder who the "anthropologist studying biker culture in New Zealand" is)?

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Classic Adcoms Rule. ;)

Yeah, I agree. I remember my old GFA-535 well and fondly. That said, nowadays there are sub-$100 USD Class D amps that perform just as well -- but of course they can't keep your listening room cozy warm when winter closes in like your collection. :cool:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Hey!: I recognize that (and, have at times, resembled that):
David painted a new picture monthly for the centerfold of EasyRiders magazine for 30 years.
I've had that original silkscreen since sometime in the 1970s when EasyRiders was giving them away as
a limited edition subscription perk. Collectors item today. ;)

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
David painted a new picture monthly for the centerfold of EasyRiders magazine for 30 years.
I've had that original silkscreen since sometime in the 1970s when EasyRiders was giving them away as
a limited edition subscription perk. Collectors item today. ;)
That particular one is one of my all time favorites, I remember seeing it in EasyRiders magazine when that issue came out.

musicforcities

Yeah, I agree. I remember my old GFA-535 well and fondly. That said, nowadays there are sub-$100 USD Class D amps that perform just as well -- but of course they can't keep your listening room cozy warm when winter closes in like your collection. :cool:
And have more wpc… amazing to think how far these cheap chip amps have come.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Unless the models without speakers protection fail in a way that damages your speakers, such as a huge dc spike to you speakers.
Correct, anythings possible, but I've been running GFA 5x5 series amps for 30 years and have yet to have one break, let alone
in a damaging way.
"As I knock wood and my head at the same time." ;)

musicforcities

Correct, anythings possible, but I've been running GFA 5x5 series amps for 30 years and have yet to have one break, let alone
in a damaging way.
"As I knock wood and my head at the same time." ;)
Have recapped them or done maintenance?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom