• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye 3 Channel Purifi Amp Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 19 6.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 66 24.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 151 55.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 38 13.9%

• Total voters

Calleberg

Previous joking aside, this intrigues me the more I think about it. In theory, could the measurable distortion added by the above components be higher than, say, the extra distortion measured by Amir that was caused by the previously installed steel tabs? In other words, could replacing the tabs in the Buckeye be a complete waste of time if one otherwise uses banana plugs or has speakers with binding posts?

Dont forget the connectors on the drivers inside the speakers. 99 times out of 100 its a faston on a STEEL tab... ahh the horror.... :cool:

Last edited:

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I would suggest not worrying about such rabbit holes.

The goal is for the known components to measure/operate as intended. Hence me wanting to fix the Purifi and get the appropriate/expected measurements.

But to start to ruminate on “is the source before or after the amp introducing distortion in the form of steel/magnetic components” is an exercise in futility. There are dozens of other things in our hobby that make more audible differences to put thought into.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Previous joking aside, this intrigues me the more I think about it. In theory, could the measurable distortion added by the above components be higher than, say, the extra distortion measured by Amir that was caused by the previously installed steel tabs? In other words, could replacing the tabs in the Buckeye be a complete waste of time if one otherwise uses banana plugs or has speakers with binding posts?

The speaker distortion is so much higher than these hysteric (micro)distortions, it does seem rather obsessive to go chasing after them aggressively. From a practical perspective, they are unlikely to be audible.

My investigation has been to further my understanding of what I consider to be an electrical outlier. As I posted earlier, I was caught off guard when troubleshooting the problem as I unwittingly placed another steel tab in the signal path. For the record, am not ripping open any of my speakers to replace steel parts. :cool:

Last edited:

charlielaub

Dont forget the connectors on the drivers inside the speakers. 99 times out of 100 its a faston on a STEEL tab... ahh the horror....
Sure but a driver, even a really good one, has 100 times or more the distortion of a good amplifier. So the added distortion from a steel tab is insignificant to the drivers' own distortion levels.

Edit: I just saw that others mentioned this before me.

Calleberg

Sure but a driver, even a really good one, has 100 times or more the distortion of a good amplifier. So the added distortion from a steel tab is insignificant to the drivers' own distortion levels.

Edit: I just saw that others mentioned this before me.

Yes, yes, that was my point too, but the smiley got deleted... :) Aah, there it is...

Last edited:

Hapo

...I can see where a person in the USA might as well get a Buckeye as a Nord...

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not from me, to be upfront and honest.

In an effort to always be honest and save my customers money I can say that there is almost zero audible gain using something like the Purifi or the new NCx Hypex outside of the front three channels.

MAYBE if someone listens critically to 5ch music using a Purifi for the two surround speakers MIGHT produce a very very subtle improvement. But in 99 out of 100 use cases, I urge customers to save the money and not pay more for Purifi outside of their LCR speakers.
There are a few really good options in other brands. I have the NAD M27 (NC400 based) but there is also the M28 (Purifi based)... It makes sense For those that like all the same speakers and amps on their bed layer. Not sure how many would like it but I think there certainly is a market of some type out there. :)

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
There are a few really good options in other brands. I have the NAD M27 (NC400 based) but there is also the M28 (Purifi based)... It makes sense For those that like all the same speakers and amps on their bed layer. Not sure how many would like it but I think there certainly is a market of some type out there. :)
I guess a phobia of multiple cases is an issue for some? Otherwise for the price of an M28 you could get 10ch of Purifi from me

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess a phobia of multiple cases is an issue for some? Otherwise for the price of an M28 you could get 10ch of Purifi from me
Very true. And certainly could do that. I do like fewer cases though. Used M27 seems to run around $2500 ish, but you do make a good point :)

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Very true. And certainly could do that. I do like fewer cases though. Used M27 seems to run around $2500 ish, but you do make a good point :)
Again, it more so comes down to why to me. Save the money on something that will not be heard in the surround channels, even with multich music.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Again, it more so comes down to why to me. Save the money on something that will not be heard in the surround channels, even with multich music.
Some just want to choose to put the best amplification on each bed layer. Simple as that. In particular those running setups for multi channel music but also for high end theater installs. Could certainly be seen as unneccary by some for sure but some stil want it as shown by the existence of M27/m28 and other brands/modesl that have 7/8 channels.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Some just want to choose to put the best amplification on each bed layer. Simple as that. In particular those running setups for multi channel music but also for high end theater installs. Could certainly be seen as unneccary by some for sure but some stil want it as shown by the existence of M27/m28 and other brands/modesl that have 7/8 channels.
I know. I more mean that since I can't find myself honestly promoting such a channel count in regard to Purifi builds, I can't justify offering it.

Descartes

Major Contributor
True, but I can’t imagine my significant other agreeing to have 10 more black boxes in the living room!
In addition, one should be able to get a discount on the M28!

Descartes

Major Contributor
Not from me, to be upfront and honest.

In an effort to always be honest and save my customers money I can say that there is almost zero audible gain using something like the Purifi or the new NCx Hypex outside of the front three channels.

MAYBE if someone listens critically to 5ch music using a Purifi for the two surround speakers MIGHT produce a very very subtle improvement. But in 99 out of 100 use cases, I urge customers to save the money and not pay more for Purifi outside of their LCR speakers.
Thank you for the honesty, if only other manufacturers were that transparent!

Hapo

...indeed...he is looking good here...

...he is on my short list...

Last edited:
As someone suffering from mild-to-moderate OCD tendencies, I get the urge. But, assuming you cannot print money and have finite time on this planet, spend your resources upgrading components that make a difference. Get a better DAC/AVR, better speakers, acoustic panels, play with placement, clean out your ear wax, adopt a shelter dog. Any of these things will be more meaningful than burning cash.

The existence of demand does not always justify existence. How lucky we are to deal with a manufacturer who refuses to take our money.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As someone suffering from mild-to-moderate OCD tendencies, I get the urge. But, assuming you cannot print money and have finite time on this planet, spend your resources upgrading components that make a difference. Get a better DAC/AVR, better speakers, acoustic panels, play with placement, clean out your ear wax, adopt a shelter dog. Any of these things will be more meaningful than burning cash.

The existence of demand does not always justify existence. How lucky we are to deal with a manufacturer who refuses to take our money.
Please stop. How I, or anyone else chooses to spend money is just not your concern. It is up to each user to decide what to use for amplification, speakers etc.... Please don't tell me that because a purifi channel costs a couple hundred more per channel that is some sort of problem, because it is not. These modules (hypex and purifi) are all excellent values and are a drop in the bucket compared to ridiculously prices amps out there. If you feel that is burning cash to you that is fine but if someone wants to put a purifi on a surround channel there is nothing wrong with that.

Top Bottom