• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye 3 Channel Purifi Amp Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 19 6.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 66 24.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 151 55.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 38 13.9%

• Total voters

JRS

Major Contributor
If that is set up as a WATT meter and was reasonably accurate, I don't think that it looks too busy, as it seems to have a way of being able to adjust inputs to the same output level.
I liked all but the 4 white lights in the center; I agree that being able to calibrate your line level input to watts output (at whatever impedance you pick) is a great feature. I would guess that showing clipping may not be an option, but most of us i suspect would be buying it for the needles dancing.

Reactions: EJ3

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There appears to be several or more peeps looking for a class D amp with big VU meters. A common request although finding suitable big VU meters is apparently not so easy. :D

Sorry, a little bit out of the scope of this thread, but I just noticed your above comment.

As you have been already well aware of, I am one of the people having "A common request although finding suitable big VU meters is apparently not so easy."
Accordingly, I went into DIY construction of 12-VU-Meter Array in my multichannel multi-driver multi-amplifier DSP-based fully active stereo setup.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: EJ3

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Note: I am an end user audio enthusiast and I have no conflict of interest at all with any of the manufacturers, import companies, distributors and audio shops relevant to this post. This post is not intending to intensively share objective and/or subjective evaluations of the audio gears, but I would like to share about how carefully the manufacturer(s) avoid magnetizable metals in SP selectors and line selecters.

Even though I shared this info here in the remote thread, just for our nice reference, let me share again on this thread; I do hope your browser would properly translate these web pages into English.
https://audiodesign.co.jp/
SP selectors;
https://audiodesign.co.jp/HAS/HAS-3S.html
AMP + SP selectors;
https://audiodesign.co.jp/HAS/HAS-33S.html
Line selectors;
https://audiodesign.co.jp/HAS/HAS-3L.html
Balance Line selectors;
https://audiodesign.co.jp/HAS/HAS-3LB.html
Dual Line selectors;
https://audiodesign.co.jp/HAS/HAS-33L.html

Reactions: MCH

Jukka

This was not expected and was not an attempt to have a known/flawed product pushed through review.

While we did robust testing during development and prototyping, I cannot account for why this issue was not identified or observed early on. But I do take full responsibility.

As Amir briefly acknowledged, now that we are aware of and able to reproduce the issue on our end, we have been testing furiously to identify the exact cause so we can produce a fix.

Transparency and communication with the community has been one of the "pillars" I've tried to build my business upon. As soon as we identify the exact issue and the appropriate fix, it will be implemented ASAP, including for current customers as needed.
To me that looks like soft clipping.

MCH

Major Contributor
Note: I am an end user audio enthusiast and I have no conflict of interest at all with any of the manufacturers, import companies, distributors and audio shops relevant to this post. This post is not intending to intensively share objective and/or subjective evaluations of the audio gears, but I would like to share about how carefully the manufacturer(s) avoid magnetizable metals in SP selectors and line selecters.

Even though I shared this info here in the remote thread, just for our nice reference, let me share again on this thread; I do hope your browser would properly translate these web pages into English.
https://audiodesign.co.jp/
SP selectors;
https://audiodesign.co.jp/HAS/HAS-3S.html
AMP + SP selectors;
https://audiodesign.co.jp/HAS/HAS-33S.html
Line selectors;
https://audiodesign.co.jp/HAS/HAS-3L.html
Balance Line selectors;
https://audiodesign.co.jp/HAS/HAS-3LB.html
Dual Line selectors;
https://audiodesign.co.jp/HAS/HAS-33L.html
Thank you for sharing.
Wanted to ask you, and i think it might still be relevant to this (multichannel) thread. Do you know any source of a similar multichannel analog volume control/preamplifier? Feel free to answer via pm if you prefer.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you know any source of a similar multichannel analog volume control/preamplifier?

We can find several low-quality (cheep) line-level passive stereo or mono (not multichannel) volume controllers (better to say attenuators) in the market, but all of them would not be recommended for our HiFi audio use, as you may fully agree.

Rather high-end HiFi stereo preamps and HiFi stereo integrated amps, therefore, would be our choice for line level volume control, but almost no "multichannel" ones available in consumer market; I am not so familiar with professional and PA market, but I know pro and PA audio gears are usually inferior to high-end HiFi home gears in terms of total sound quality. At lease for me, almost all of the AV preamps and AV amps would be also excluded in my audio project in terms of sound quality.

Furthermore, we do not need "powerful amps" to drive our midrange-drivers tweeters and supertweeters, but we definitely need excellent HiFi high-S/N low-distortion amps.

My recent discussion here and here would be also of your reference, I believe.

These points and discussion are part of "my rationales" for the utilization of proper and suitable (high-end) "integrated amplifiers" suitable for each of the SP drivers after the multichannel DAC in my multichannel multi-driver DSP-based fully active stereo audio system. Please also refer to my post here for the wrap-up of my long and intensive amplifier exploration journey. This post would be also of your reference for the use of "integrated amplifiers" in our multichannel active seutp.

Last edited:
Reactions: MCH

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not so familiar with professional and PA market, but I know pro and PA audio gears are usually inferior to high-end HiFi home gears in terms of total sound quality.
I would love to see actual evidence for that statement. It is a common part of audiophile folklore, but...

charlielaub

Furthermore, we do not need "powerful amps" to drive our midrange-drivers tweeters and supertweeters, but we definitely need excellent HiFi high-S/N low-distortion amps.

Some threads at DIYaudio looked into the relative amount of power required for amps driving midrange and tweeter compared to woofer and subs in an active setup. There is also some info from Rob Elliot on the topic in which he looked at the average power as a function of frequency contained in several music tracks of differeing music styles - he found it to be highest for the midrange band. The power required certainly depends on the sensitivity of each driver, and that will change from design to design and typically the midrange above 500Hz and tweeter have higher sensitivity compared to a woofer. As a result, the demands of the tweeter and midrange typically require lower average power but not lower peak power. This in turn relates more to the required power supply capabilities than amplifier module power rating. In terms of a linear PS it would mean that you could use a transformer with a significantly lower VA rating, but still having the same secondary voltage as that for other channels e.g. the woofer.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would love to see actual evidence for that statement.

Sorry I do not have "my" objective evidences since I am not an professional audio engineer and I do not have any of the advanced measurement gears.
I have so many subjective experiences for that through my subjective listening comparisons in my home audio environments, though.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some threads at DIYaudio looked into the relative amount of power required for amps driving midrange and tweeter compared to woofer and subs in an active setup. There is also some info from Rob Elliot on the topic in which he looked at the average power as a function of frequency contained in several music tracks of differeing music styles - he found it to be highest for the midrange band. The power required certainly depends on the sensitivity of each driver, and that will change from design to design and typically the midrange above 500Hz and tweeter have higher sensitivity compared to a woofer. As a result, the demands of the tweeter and midrange typically require lower average power but not lower peak power. This in turn relates more to the required power supply capabilities than amplifier module power rating. In terms of a linear PS it would mean that you could use a transformer with a significantly lower VA rating, but still having the same secondary voltage as that for other channels e.g. the woofer.

Yes, I essentially agree with you, and your point would support my final amplifier selection in my setup; please refer to here and here.
I use rather powerful Yamaha A-S3000 driving woofers, and also powerful Accuphase E-460 driving high-efficiency Beryllium midrange domes.

BTW, this post would be also our reference for use of rather small amps for tweeters and super-tweeters in multichannel multi-driver active setup;
- Even Greg Timbers uses "reasonable and budget" Pioneer Elite A-20 for compression drivers (super tweeters) in his extraordinary expensive multichannel stereo system with JBL Everest DD67000 which he himself designed and developed: #435

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry I do not have "my" objective evidences since I am not an professional audio engineer and I do not have any of the advanced measurement gears.
I have so many subjective experiences for that through my subjective listening comparisons in my home audio environments, though.
Your subjective impression is noted, just wondering what pro gear it is based on, as you stated that you aren't that familiar with pro gear.

Bubbagump

I would love to see actual evidence for that statement. It is a common part of audiophile folklore, but...
Something I actually know about and can come out of lurk mode - PA gear is built to fundamentally different goals. An example being frequency response. PA speakers will be built for power handling, consistent horn coverage over a specified area, throw, etc. So I need to know a coverage area to be able to design a line array for a room more than I need flat. With Hifi we’ll accept some lobing as we are going to toe in or whatever to accommodate a small listening area. A PA, I want constant coverage to get as much “good enough” as I can.

Also, power amps in pro sound have a lot more in line which adds artifacts - built in EQs, more robust protection circuitry, the ability to run for hours in a hot parking lot…

All that to say, many of the specs we look for in hifi don’t matter in live sound. I’ll take a CD horn with even coverage over a rule flat response. Your question is borne out simply by looking at the spec sheets.

However, the gap has narrowed a ton over the past 20 years as designs and computer modeling have improved. Even a junky $300 Chinese off brand 15” active PA speaker destroys its 1970s equivalent.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
However, the gap has narrowed a ton over the past 20 years as designs and computer modeling have improved. Even a junky $300 Chinese off brand 15” active PA speaker destroys its 1970s equivalent.
That is kind of my point. PA has improved a lot in the last 20 years. And not all pro audio is PA. Pro audio is also used in studios and broadcast. Some of that gear is just as good as domestic HiFi.

Bubbagump

That is kind of my point. PA has improved a lot in the last 20 years. And not all pro audio is PA. Pro audio is also used in studios and broadcast. Some of that gear is just as good as domestic HiFi.
Ah, if you include studio and broadcast, for sure. Studio monitoring has gotten ridiculously good and I’d agree, except for the most esoteric and edge case high end, monitoring is neck and neck with hifi. The days of NS10s somehow creating pain to force you into a great mix in the car are long gone.

Edit: more to your point, put a pair of Barefoots up against LS50Metas… the Barefoots will “stomp”.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Many times subjective experiences = "Empirical Knowledge" that the engineers MAY (and MAY not in our life time) eventually figure out how to measure and create formulas for.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah, if you include studio and broadcast, for sure. Studio monitoring has gotten ridiculously good and I’d agree, except for the most esoteric and edge case high end, monitoring is neck and neck with hifi. The days of NS10s somehow creating pain to force you into a great mix in the car are long gone.
Right - i am surprised how much of my listening is on the Genelecs these days.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Many times subjective experiences = "Empirical Knowledge" that the engineers MAY (and MAY not in our life time) eventually figure out how to measure and create formulas for.
Yes, some times, rather than many. Meanwhile scientists and researchers have found out how fallible human senses and especially our interpretation of what we sense is, and realized an overwhelming majority of subjective perceptions are formed between the ears rather than by what reaches our ears. That is why we need objective verification.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, some times, rather than many. Meanwhile scientists and researchers have found out how fallible human senses and especially our interpretation of what we sense is, and realized an overwhelming majority of subjective perceptions are formed between the ears rather than by what reaches our ears. That is why we need objective verification.
I guess that may depend on the field that we are dealing with.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess that may depend on the field that we are dealing with.
I think the field we are dealing with here is audio.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the field we are dealing with here is audio.
Yes, here we are dealing with audio.
It seems that we have the measurements of audio down fairly well.
But dualazmak has a unique audio case.
My statement was generalization to indicate that there are may other instances in all different fields in which there are cases like this, that the scientists, engineers, etc: do not yet know why a particular something, done in a particular way works as well as it does (& in some cases, they don't know why it works at all).

Top Bottom