• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye 3 Channel Purifi Amp Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 19 6.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 66 24.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 151 55.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 38 13.9%

• Total voters

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If there is an error, the LED turns static Red color. When clipping, the LED color will blink Orange.
So there isn’t an error code, but rather just a generic error indication? Is there any way to tell the difference between a protection circuit error, or overheating, or a fault that needs service?

Kevinfc

If there is an error, the LED turns static Red color. When clipping, the LED color will blink Orange.
Really do appreciate you coming by here to post. It’s not always easy, but I appreciate you taking the good and the bad with patience and class. You‘re going to be top on my list when I make my next purchase.

dscottj

If you're going to spend ~1500 on an amp why scrimp on the appearance for the sake of saving maybe £100? Are people shopping in this range really so price sensitive that a 5-10% price hike to cover the cost of a nice case going to shop for an ugly cheaper model instead? I don't see it.

I'd like to ask the reverse: are you really so price sensitive that a high-performance amp that has a plain case and costs $1500 somehow puts it beyond the pale because it's too expensive? To be frank my 8-channel buckeye is (now) the least expensive component in my rig. From where I sit, it can have a cheap box because, compared to other solutions with equal or better performance, it is cheap. You say it's ugly but that only makes me cry all the way to the bank.

Anthony T

Have you considered that I might understand that and still have the same opinion? Here's why...

If you're going to spend ~1500 on an amp why scrimp on the appearance for the sake of saving maybe £100? Are people shopping in this range really so price sensitive that a 5-10% price hike to cover the cost of a nice case going to shop for an ugly cheaper model instead? I don't see it.
Its a business decision no doubt driven by cost conscious customer requests for high performance amplification without any superfluous features. Seems reasonable judging by the ridicule often aimed at components that cater for the eyes rather than performance in the reviews here.
Buckeye appears to have been approached by potential customers that would like a nicer case but his base must be strong enough for him not to turn away from his existing business model.
It’s a choice for customers to make for themselves and besides, people set budgets for a multitude of reasons and the sensible ones stick to it.

Audiomn

Forum Donor
Its a business decision no doubt driven by cost conscious customer requests for high performance amplification without any superfluous features. Seems reasonable judging by the ridicule often aimed at components that cater for the eyes rather than performance in the reviews here.
Buckeye appears to have been approached by potential customers that would like a nicer case but his base must be strong enough for him not to turn away from his existing business model.
It’s a choice for customers to make for themselves and besides, people set budgets for a multitude of reasons and the sensible ones stick to it.
I totally agree with this. I personally am putting this amp in a back room on a rack and don’t care at all how it looks.

PeteL

Major Contributor
You are wasting your breath. Some people dont get it.
(On healthy debating)
Opinions are like rear ends. Everyone has one, they stink and no one cares about yours
Obviously you really "get" how to elevate the debate and contribute to the discussion in ways that are immensely useful, really bringing something to the table.

insektmute

Have you considered that I might understand that and still have the same opinion? Here's why...

I mean, yeah

If you're a salaried worker who owns a house and generally does ok each month without much stress, I get that a 5-10% bump for aesthetics is probably no biggie, but there are plenty of people (myself included) who work for an hourly wage and spend months saving up for even cheap gear.

While some might argue that working class folks like me shouldn't have nice things, I don't agree with that kind of classist rationale, so I do the best I can to strike a balance. I appreciate aesthetics as much as anyone, but sometimes the more sensible choice is to save $100-200 that could be better spent elsewhere.

Fahzz

Forum Donor
Maybe this will help the people concerned with appearances. just pop the amp inside, and impress your friends. LOL

Dr. Buckeye: Go watch football.

Audiomn

Forum Donor
Maybe this will help the people concerned with appearances. just pop the amp inside, and impress your friends. LOL

Now we know where $1500 goes when you buy a McIntosh!

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Even better

Elements_Media_Cabinet_WH-Collection.jpg

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

And I thought the McIntosh clock was silly.

Reactions: GPJ

Ajax

Forum Donor
I'm not sure why some are concerned about aesthetics as my understanding is that the Hypex modules run very cool and are happily placed in a cabinet. Obviously it does not have to be expensive furniture as shown in the photo above and needs some slots at the back for some air.

All my gear are in such a cabinet with the book shelf speakers speakers on top, sounds & works great.

Reactions: MCH

IRG

Just read this whole thread, phew. As someone who’s not an engineer or all that technically inclined, I do have some basic questions and maybe they are covered elsewhere. First off, I actually like the looks of these Buckeye amps. I hadn’t heard of them before but having the founder/ceo involved here, and describing the issue and how it will be fixed, gives me some sense of assurance. I tend to focus on name brands that have long(er) history; Yamaha, Marantz, NAD, Rega, etc. and most of these focus on class AB amps, with NAD moving to class D. I have no bias against a class D amp, never owned one but would like to try one. Actually my Fender Rumble bass amp is class D and works well, and is super light. But right above it is a little 5w Fender Vibro Champ Reverb tube amp which sounds great, and my other (guitar) amp is in neither camp, but is a solid state Roland BLues Cube Artists 80w (attenuated down to 1/2 w) but I digress with the guitar amp talk, only to say, I have spent large amounts of $ to add distortion that is pleasing to my ears, lol. Different purposes I know,

So I have two really basic questions for Buckeye (or others). I am a 2 channel guy, and am fairly set in some of my analog ways. I buy and enjoy vinyl still, also have and still buy CD’s, and use Spotify on my phone but will move into more streaming options soon when I move my audio system from a little man cave I have in the basement, into the main living room. So space and size of components is a consideration for me.

1) Difference between the Purifi 1ET400A 2 channel amp and the HypexNC252MP, besides price, the Purifi is rated with more watts but I don’t get hung up about that too much, either should be able to power whatever speakers I end up with. I understand the Hypex amp doesn’t have the current issue of the Purifi, so tonally, what are the differences if any?
2) both amps have only XLR outputs, which won’t work with my current integrated amp (Musical Fidelity M2Si) which has only RCA preamp outs. I’m thinking of moving on from this amp anyway, although it has served me well (power amp section not reviewed well by Amir), so I’d need a new preamp, one with XLR inputs for the amp, and I want tone controls (just personal preference). And I need the preamp to have analog connections,mlooking at a Vincent offering, but I believe it’s a hybrid, with some tubes in it, but maybe there are other preamps I should look at.

So that’s where I’m at, I like what I see from this amp, I like that it’s in the US, like that the issue (which doesn’t seem to have sonic issues) is being resolved, just curious how this might work in my analog 2 channel system. Sorry for lack of brevity.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just read this whole thread, phew. As someone who’s not an engineer or all that technically inclined, I do have some basic questions and maybe they are covered elsewhere. First off, I actually like the looks of these Buckeye amps. I hadn’t heard of them before but having the founder/ceo involved here, and describing the issue and how it will be fixed, gives me some sense of assurance. I tend to focus on name brands that have long(er) history; Yamaha, Marantz, NAD, Rega, etc. and most of these focus on class AB amps, with NAD moving to class D. I have no bias against a class D amp, never owned one but would like to try one. Actually my Fender Rumble bass amp is class D and works well, and is super light. But right above it is a little 5w Fender Vibro Champ Reverb tube amp which sounds great, and my other (guitar) amp is in neither camp, but is a solid state Roland BLues Cube Artists 80w (attenuated down to 1/2 w) but I digress with the guitar amp talk, only to say, I have spent large amounts of $ to add distortion that is pleasing to my ears, lol. Different purposes I know,

So I have two really basic questions for Buckeye (or others). I am a 2 channel guy, and am fairly set in some of my analog ways. I buy and enjoy vinyl still, also have and still buy CD’s, and use Spotify on my phone but will move into more streaming options soon when I move my audio system from a little man cave I have in the basement, into the main living room. So space and size of components is a consideration for me.

1) Difference between the Purifi 1ET400A 2 channel amp and the HypexNC252MP, besides price, the Purifi is rated with more watts but I don’t get hung up about that too much, either should be able to power whatever speakers I end up with. I understand the Hypex amp doesn’t have the current issue of the Purifi, so tonally, what are the differences if any?
2) both amps have only XLR outputs, which won’t work with my current integrated amp (Musical Fidelity M2Si) which has only RCA preamp outs. I’m thinking of moving on from this amp anyway, although it has served me well (power amp section not reviewed well by Amir), so I’d need a new preamp, one with XLR inputs for the amp, and I want tone controls (just personal preference). And I need the preamp to have analog connections,mlooking at a Vincent offering, but I believe it’s a hybrid, with some tubes in it, but maybe there are other preamps I should look at.

So that’s where I’m at, I like what I see from this amp, I like that it’s in the US, like that the issue (which doesn’t seem to have sonic issues) is being resolved, just curious how this might work in my analog 2 channel system. Sorry for lack of brevity.
Monoprice makes adapters XLR>RCA that work well. Consider the Schitt preamps, the Freya+, Saga, etc. Not sure what you mean when mentioning "the current issue of the Purifi" unless you're referring to the 252 doesn't have the custom buffer?

Top Bottom