• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye 3 Channel Purifi Amp Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 19 6.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 66 24.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 151 55.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 38 13.9%

• Total voters

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Wow. What a review (almost) and what customer service! I'd be onto this amp like a pigeon on a chip if it was a UK based delivery.
Out of curiosity @Buckeye Amps how does UK warranty work?
So the nice thing about these amps (both the Hypex and Purifi) is that if a part fails, it can be field replaced very easily. So if a Purifi module failed, I'd send a new one out to the customer. Same with input board, LED board, SMPS, etc.

If it had to be returned to be fixed (say the customer doesn't want to or isn't comfortable opening it up) I would obviously cover shipping costs.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Forgive me here, but Naim sold rapidly increasing price amps for decades with 'banana shaped' rectangular sleeve cases with slide-in inner tray, the sleeve ringing like a bell if the damping strip at the back was dislodged....
I owned NAIMs since serial nr 002 on some models and I have no idea what you are saying? What on earth is a “banana shaped rectangular sleeve?”

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So the nice thing about these amps (both the Hypex and Purifi) is that if a part fails, it can be field replaced very easily. So if a Purifi module failed, I'd send a new one out to the customer. Same with input board, LED board, SMPS, etc.

If it had to be returned to be fixed (say the customer doesn't want to or isn't comfortable opening it up) I would obviously cover shipping costs.
Be aware that customs may block entry of an electronic device that lacks UKCA marking. The EU CE marking was acceptable until yesterday (really) but your amplifiers seem to lack either.

I have two friends where shipper refused import of a conference system (FedEx) and another a video camera (UPS).

Badunn

I'm pretty handy with an adjustable metric spanner and a glass hammer when required so no issues with the modular replacement side of things.
Is there a UK price list?

Cuniberti

Forum Donor
This was not expected and was not an attempt to have a known/flawed product pushed through review.

While we did robust testing during development and prototyping, I cannot account for why this issue was not identified or observed early on. But I do take full responsibility.

As Amir briefly acknowledged, now that we are aware of and able to reproduce the issue on our end, we have been testing furiously to identify the exact cause so we can produce a fix.

Transparency and communication with the community has been one of the "pillars" I've tried to build my business upon. As soon as we identify the exact issue and the appropriate fix, it will be implemented ASAP, including for current customers as needed.
What a refreshing and professional response.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What a refreshing and professional response.
I like that too. @Buckeye Amps, Dylan you really should get a voltage divider made from precision resistors and a good ADC so you can test gear yourself. It's next level stuff and you need them. :D I am pretty sure one of the peeps here @ ASR with a setup can help you out in getting setup. :D I would assist but I don't have a ADC with probe setup and so I'm not 100% familiar with the stuff.

EDIT: You could even include a test screenshot printout with each amp that you sell. It's a nice touch.

Futility

Forum Donor
Thank you for the prompt and straightforward replies, @Buckeye Amps

I can build a PC or perform a basic repair of an appliance but have very little soldering experience. Hence the concern.
Your assurance that the problem can be rectifted by a board swap gives me a much needed peace of mind. Openness works.
What a difference, compared to Audio industry behemoths who either keep quiet about discovered flaws or dismiss them as inaudible.

I will gladly accept delivery of your amps and will be waiting patiently on the future fix.

PS It's actually interesting to see how confirmation bias is going to affect the first listening impression and then comparison after the fix.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Be aware that customs may block entry of an electronic device that lacks UKCA marking. The EU CE marking was acceptable until yesterday (really) but your amplifiers seem to lack either.

I have two friends where shipper refused import of a conference system (FedEx) and another a video camera (UPS).
Thank you for the heads up, I will look into this further. TBH, haven't had an EU order in a while (probably due to my wait times lately).

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I'm pretty handy with an adjustable metric spanner and a glass hammer when required so no issues with the modular replacement side of things.
Is there a UK price list?
All prices on the website would be worldwide price (in USD), then additional shipping (Canads is usually $50, rest of world is $100)

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I like that too. @Buckeye Amps, Dylan you really should get a voltage divider made from precision resistors and a good ADC so you can test gear yourself. It's next level stuff and you need them. :D I am pretty sure one of the peeps here @ ASR with a setup can help you out in getting setup. :D I would assist but I don't have a ADC with probe setup and so I'm not 100% familiar with the stuff.

EDIT: You could even include a test screenshot printout with each amp that you sell. It's a nice touch.
A good measurement system for me to have on hand has been on my list. My only *excuse* is that any extra funds the last 10 months have been used to get the new Hypex and Purifi boards/cable sets/offerings in production (since I do not use business loans or credit for the business). Once this issue is fixed and cleared up, it will be on my list this year.

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wonderful responses and clear high integrity and past product excellence on the part of Buckeye.

I am able to dismiss this issue as a probable result of the intense cognitive dissonance afflicting the amp builder as a result of this year's Buckeye loss to Michigan in the Horseshoe. He clearly needs more recovery time and therapy in order to regain his past level of neurological SINAD.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for the heads up, I will look into this further. TBH, haven't had an EU order in a while (probably due to my wait times lately).
Here is the UK regulation.

It seems the government have delayed the UKCA mark requirement yet another year. (Brexit mess...) You can use CE mark until end of 2024.

FYI, if you are willing to do a bit of paper-work, and due-diligence, you can self certify CE mark. I used to do it for the custom products we exported.

There are even companies out there that sell guidance services.

Last edited:

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
And just to reiterate, testing was done using a quite capable setup with the help of another user. However, I believe a fault was discovered in the test equipment regarding when a load was applied so power vs. distortion was not possible at the time of testing back in the summer with our protoype boards.

We did do follow-up testing with another measurement system right as the production input boards were received but again, the power vs. distortion issue was not observed/not found. I am unsure how or why this slipped by us but I take full responsibility and do not blame those who helped me with the measurements in anyway.

A lesson (both monetarily expensive and possible public relations expensive) that will not be repeated. Hopefully how I handle this issue will speak volumes to my committment to the customers and commuity.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Wonderful responses and clear high integrity and past product excellence on the part of Buckeye.

I am able to dismiss this issue as a probable result of the intense cognitive dissonance afflicting the amp builder as a result of this year's Buckeye loss to Michigan in the Horseshoe. He clearly needs more recovery time and therapy in order to regain his past level of neurological SINAD.
This response wins, thank you!

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor

It seems the government have delayed the UKCA mark requirement yet another year. (Brexit mess...) You can use CE mark until end of 20224.

FYI, if you are willing to do a bit of paper-work, and due-diligence, you can self certify CE mark. I used to do it for the custom products we exported.

Thanks!

Now that I will be able to have orders assmebled in 2-3wks max in the coming months, this will be worth exploring as I expect international (mainly EU) inquires to pick up again.

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning

It seems the government have delayed the UKCA mark requirement yet another year. (Brexit mess...) You can use CE mark until end of 20224.

Do you think it takes so long in UK?:)

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
@Buckeye Amps , maybe a stupid question - any iron/ steel Faston terminals in the signal path, especially on input XLR?
The speaker outs on the input board use FastONs

We actually did modify a board yesterday to move the FastON's off/away from the board but no change in distortion during testing.

Top Bottom