• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye 3 Channel Purifi Amp Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 19 6.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 66 24.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 151 55.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 38 13.9%

• Total voters

Anthony T

This was not expected and was not an attempt to have a known/flawed product pushed through review.

While we did robust testing during development and prototyping, I cannot account for why this issue was not identified or observed early on. But I do take full responsibility.

As Amir briefly acknowledged, now that we are aware of and able to reproduce the issue on our end, we have been testing furiously to identify the exact cause so we can produce a fix.

Transparency and communication with the community has been one of the "pillars" I've tried to build my business upon. As soon as we identify the exact issue and the appropriate fix, it will be implemented ASAP, including for current customers as needed.
Proper customer service, prompt and concise with zero bullshit. Bravo.
Others should take note (you know who you are)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I voted fine. Sure the rising distortion is to be avoided, but not recommending the amp because of it is too much imo.

@Buckeye Amps maybe you can get a Cosmos ADC and high precision resistors and test them in house from now on and prevent surprise findings next time.

Last edited:

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
What does it mean for customers who currently have these amps on order / in production / ready to be shipped?

I just received a UPS notice of label creation. Should I ask to hold off shipping until the fix?
How long is it going to take to identify the issue and rectify it? It has already been over 9 weeks.
Anyone who has received or is expected to receive their amplifier (UPS label generated but waiting on pickup after this winter storm clears): I do not have a definitive timeline on the fix yet. We are still narrowing it down. The worst case scenario is a few weeks if new input boards need to be manufactured.

In that worst case scenario, a new input board would be sent out to any customer who had comfortable DIY skills to change it out. Otherwise shipping of the amp for a quick replacement by me would obviously be covered as well.

As the issue is likely inaudible, I would have no hesitation recommending using the amp as is while a fix is produced. I say this as someone who is currently using a 3ch Purifi for their main LCR setup as well.

I do not say that, however, as a way to try and brush off these results. If you feel cheated or uneasy and want to wait to receive your order or even cancel it, I understand. I just want customers to know they can receive and use their amp without "issue" for the time being as a fix is produced.

dscottj

In that worst case scenario, a new input board would be sent out to any customer who had comfortable DIY skills to change it out.

In that case, would the procedure involve screws/clips/connectors, or would soldering be involved?

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
... a new input board would be sent out to any customer who had comfortable DIY skills to change it out.
Ahhhh..... my old Heathkit days (AR1500) may come in handy.

DSJR

Major Contributor
The case doesn’t look very well manufactured. There’s large gaps all along where the top and bottom meet.
Forgive me here, but Naim sold rapidly increasing price amps for decades with 'banana shaped' rectangular sleeve cases with slide-in inner tray, the sleeve ringing like a bell if the damping strip at the back was dislodged.... The Buckeye may not be as swish looking as a March Audio amp, but I'd say the case is perfectly serviceable, especially if the side screws could be countersunk if possible instead of sitting on top of the panel.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
In that case, would the procedure involve screws/clips/connectors, or would soldering be involved?
Absolutely no soldering would be asked off or required if it is a fix sent out to customers. Just a few screws and cables/connectors.

That would be worst case.

Multicore

Major Contributor
The case doesn’t look very well manufactured. There’s large gaps all along where the top and bottom meet.
I've got a Buckeye amp and I'm quite proud of its looks. It looks like an amp that just wants to get the job done and isn't trying to be, in and of itself, an object of pride and lust.

goryu

Don't understand why the more than sufficient stock purifi buffers weren't used.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't understand why the more than sufficient stock purifi buffers weren't used.
Dylan wanted to provide a buffer board which would allow for auto-sense, 3 gain levels, clipping indicator, etc. I applaud him for providing what many asked for. I'm using the exact amp in this review for my L/C/R and haven't noticed any difference from the VTV it replaced (the VTV only drove the L/R).

goryu

Dylan wanted to provide a buffer board which would allow for auto-sense, 3 gain levels, clipping indicator, etc. I applaud him for providing what many asked for. I'm using the exact amp in this review for my L/C/R and haven't noticed any difference from the VTV it replaced (the VTV only drove the L/R).

Those functions would be possible with a separate add on board with any buffer, including the purifi.

pma

Major Contributor
If I remember correctly a guy in diyAudio had a similar problem which turned out to be as simple as proper grounding.

I was thinking about the same thing, grounding issue. But I would need to have the amp on my workbench, to make sure.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Those functions would be possible with a separate add on board with any buffer, including the purifi.
Perhaps you should ask @Buckeye Amps, since my answer was unsatisfactory.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Perhaps I will...thanks for replying.
Simplicity was the goal. A single board to accomplish what we wanted instead of employing the Purifi board and a daughter board.

Our board was based off of the EVAL1 board in terms of layout/schematic. Obviously an error was made, which, even though mistakes can happen, sucks. But we are determined to fix it.

Top Bottom