• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye 3 Channel Purifi Amp Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 19 6.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 66 24.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 151 55.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 38 13.9%

• Total voters

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Awesome debug effort, great troubleshooting skills evidenced. Kudos all.

walt99

Forum Donor
Good job guys!
I’d like to replace the tabs on my 8 ch 252 build regardless if you can share a source for the better tabs.
While in there I think it may also be better to solder the wire to the tab or better yet I may just replace the post to a solder style.

Last edited:

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
When I post the replacement options/routes for Purifi customers, I will make a separate post in the original Buckeye Amps Hypex sales thread on how those owners could easily replace their tabs if they'd like.

Just waiting to test a few different tab options we ordered before giving out part #'s, etc.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Awesome debug effort, great troubleshooting skills evidenced. Kudos all.

Thanks for the kind words. Had a few hurdles tossed in but came together in the end.

Not bad for a small startup but will get better. :)

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've heard it said a small amount of distortion can add a nice touch of flavor to the sound. You might want to send yours back in to get the steel connectors. Who knows what you are missing?;)
:) yes some other amp peddlers would sell you that as an high end veil lifting upgrade for several k.

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe he can sell the different flavor now? Silver tabs are the brightest, golden tabs warmer, black tabs dark sounding. Don't forget one can mix tabs of different colors on the + and - binding posts for alternative flavors. And don't forget the polishing, done by hand of course, until it becomes mirror for the highest levels of craftsmanship. :)

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've heard it said a small amount of distortion can add a nice touch of flavor to the sound. You might want to send yours back in to get the steel connectors. Who knows what you are missing?;)

I do, and it is predominantly odd harmonics (3rd and 5th order). If you want any, they best be even order!:)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, things are never broken or have issues: they are just new features for the users to upgrade to. Electronics marketing 101.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Yes, things are never broken or have issues: they are just new features for the users to upgrade to. Electronics marketing 101.
There is a certain pre/pro brand I think of with this comment :facepalm:

Reactions: EJ3

Fahzz

Forum Donor
I think you've been fantastic for a small setup. I wish the big startups would handle things as well as you guys did for a situation like this
I wish everybody would handle everything in this manner. Evaluate criticism, if it's valid, accept it, admit it, and fix it. You have to be honest even if it hurts. This is a rarity these days. Kudos.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do, and it is predominantly odd harmonics (3rd and 5th order). If you want any, they best be even order!:)
Don’t get me started on the audiophool myth that even-order distortion somehow magically sounds better than odd-order distortion.

The amount of distortion inflicted on the signal by the amplifier circuitry (whether it be a tube amp, Class A amp, or anything else) is almost never high enough in level to be audible, unless you are pushing an amplifier close to clipping. What the audiophile press calls the “warm” tube amp sound is largely a function of frequency roll off at the high and low extremes, which can be audible. But even-order harmonic distortion? Doubtful.

pma

Major Contributor
Some tube amps, especially simple low power SE triode amplifiers may add distortion in audible level, however, as stated, only as a part of other effects like FR modulation.

Differences between opamps are measurable, but far below any audibility threshold, not speaking about changes due to expectation effect.

Distortion never sounds pleasing, it is always awfull, if audible. Not only harmonic components are added, but also and inevitably non-harmonic intermodulation tones are added, regardless the fact that the distortion would have even or odd character.

Last edited:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom