• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buchardt Will Release an Active Speaker

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We will be doing WiSA subs :) Its a easy product to do compared to a speaker like the A500. And i was just informed that i would soon have what i need to get these build. So it's mainly a question of time now!

What would you like to see here. Single 10" sealed for best sound quality, or 10" active supported by 2 x 10" passive radiators for a huge spl increase?
That's great news! I know you want to limit skews but both I think will be required to suite city apartment dwellers who don't need the high SPL as well as the those that live in a place where they want to have it. If you said you can only pick one, I'd pick the dual as it can do both albeit with a higher cost.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What would you like to see here. Single 10" sealed for best sound quality, or 10" active supported by 2 x 10" passive radiators for a huge spl increase?
Price and form factor are critical, if you can sell multiple smaller subs for the same price as single bigger subs, and the software can utilise multi-subs properly then I think the answer is obvious, unless the market already has that covered well.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a pity you have to use a specific wisa sub . Integration with any sub the user already has would also be nice .

I know that wisa is developed and used by several speaker brands which is very good thing but at the moment there are not that many brands .
So its a kind of pseudo standard in the making .

I have to applaud that effort in itself :) the home hifi bussines lack a standard of interoperability of digitially conected hifi speakers .
What i would hope for in the future would be an universal standard that for example a hometheater reciever/processor could use to digitally comunicate with an active speaker wired or wireless .
(for the moment I'm bound to a propriatary meridian solution, speakerlink , but the processor has analog out too so i can use an analog sub)

Is there some kind of wisa controll unit that could output to a single mono sub with an analog out ?

Mads Buchardt

Audio Company
It's a pity you have to use a specific wisa sub . Integration with any sub the user already has would also be nice .

I know that wisa is developed and used by several speaker brands which is very good thing but at the moment there are not that many brands .
So its a kind of pseudo standard in the making .

I have to applaud that effort in itself :) the home hifi bussines lack a standard of interoperability of digitially conected hifi speakers .
What i would hope for in the future would be an universal standard that for example a hometheater reciever/processor could use to digitally comunicate with an active speaker wired or wireless .
(for the moment I'm bound to a propriatary meridian solution, speakerlink , but the processor has analog out too so i can use an analog sub)

Is there some kind of wisa controll unit that could output to a single mono sub with an analog out ?

WISA is getting rapidly larger. We will see an huge increase in brands going for this as the standard in wireless tech. I have heard that B&O made such WiSA control unit for this exact use, but i can't find it anywhere! Going with a WiSA ready product like the Primare preamps could also fix that.

But maybe we should look in to a simple dungle so that customers that already have a sub, can use them.

I really like the idea of multiple compact subs, now that we could do them discrete and wireless (convenience), i'm tempted to go for that solution!

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
WISA is getting rapidly larger. We will see an huge increase in brands going for this as the standard in wireless tech. I have heard that B&O made such WiSA control unit for this exact use, but i can't find it anywhere! Going with a WiSA ready product like the Primare preamps could also fix that.

But maybe we should look in to a simple dungle so that customers that already have a sub, can use them.

I really like the idea of multiple compact subs, now that we could do them discrete and wireless (convenience), i'm tempted to go for that solution!
Yes, offering a solution to those that have subs or want to use their own would be wise. :)

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Hi Guys! Sorry for my sloppy reply time, we have been so busy with these A500 and A700 speakers!

You can get all the information on our website now, we just announce them with a ton of information.

Prices are per pair and include free worldwide shipping as DDP - Delivered duty paid is a delivery agreement whereby we assume all of the responsibility, risk, and costs associated with transporting the products to your doorstep. This agreement includes paying for shipping costs, export and import duties, insurance, and any other expenses incurred during shipping. This ensures that no matter where you live, no matter your local taxes, you get our speakers at the same price as everyone else.

As a heads up I posted the pre-order discount on the A500's over on the Master Deals thread:
Hopefully that gets a few more folks on ASR to take a look.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the heads up on Primare Mads ! interesting new stuff from them, thought that brand was gone

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You should listen to me! Multiple sub integration is critical and you will sell truckloads of systems as people build up their funds. Make it easy(ier) and seem-less and you will be the first to successfully accomplish this. You could probably use REW (licensed) so you don't have to reinvent the wheel too.

Are you talking about a "swarm" like approach to bass?
In that case would the A700 run full range with 2 mono subs effectively create the same effect? Or would the A500 with 4 subs be better?

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you talking about a "swarm" like approach to bass?
In that case would the A700 run full range with 2 mono subs effectively create the same effect? Or would the A500 with 4 subs be better?
You can call it swarm or multiple subs. 3-4 is ideal. That's one of the biggest misconceptions. You need 3-4 subs independent of the mains for the system to work properly. See this easy reading paper by Dr. Geddes.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Price and form factor are critical, if you can sell multiple smaller subs for the same price as single bigger subs, and the software can utilise multi-subs properly then I think the answer is obvious, unless the market already has that covered well.
Yes multi sub is critical if this is going to be WISA home theater plug n play.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Are you brave enough to have the A500 sent to ASR for review? If the measurements are clean, the acclaim on this site would seal its reputation as objectively excellent and well engineered.

twisted

We will be doing WiSA subs :) Its a easy product to do compared to a speaker like the A500. And i was just informed that i would soon have what i need to get these build. So it's mainly a question of time now!

@Mads Buchardt being one of those with a pre-order for the A500+Hub, I'd personally like quality so the sealed 10" sounds best to me. If its neat and discreet all the better.

Also if you could get it to work with your room adjustment technology (can't remember what it is called) so the crossover was tuned, that would be amazing.

These next 5 months are going to feel like ages...

Jindo15

The A500 looks promising. I am just a little bit scared about the 2 years warranties. Does anyone know how costly it is to fix a broken active speaker?

Mads Buchardt

Audio Company
The A500 looks promising. I am just a little bit scared about the 2 years warranties. Does anyone know how costly it is to fix a broken active speaker?

We will actually do an option to get 2 or 3 years additional at 200 EUR. Even though all components are rated to withstand full power for 4 hours a day in 10 years we should be fairly confident providing 10 Years on the electronics, but with all we have been consulting with, all advised us to go with a standard 2 year warranty tied to the products, and then offer additional warranty. It's our first time offering electronics, so we are getting experience as we go :)

Although if some break out of warranty, we are well known for selling spare parts very cheaply, I see no reason to rip off customers that already have bought our speakers. Another great thing with this platform is that you will see it be used on other brands in the future, so it's a very open system which always is a great thing for the customers that parts would be available from multiple places. We all know that rare parts often result in expensive parts :)

QMuse

Major Contributor

Single 10" sealed. :)

detlev24

[...] What would you like to see here. Single 10" sealed for best sound quality, or 10" active supported by 2 x 10" passive radiators for a huge spl increase?
Why not a dual opposed 10" active, sealed subwoofer to get a bit of both the mentioned advantages - and yet, in a relatively compact enclosure? :)

Absolutely looking forward to the A500 + review(s) // and I do highly respect the way you are dealing with criticism, as a manufacturer!

Last edited:

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think 10" sealed lacks versatility if you want to use the same setup for movies and games.

I'd prefer a WiSa receiver unit instead. Plenty of good subwoofer options to choose from.

Last edited:

detlev24

I do agree. However, in Europe - where Buchardt Audio is situated - people are generally not willing to put "huge" subwoofers/loudspeakers in their living room(s); which probably is the main area of application for a WiSA setup.

The European subwoofer market would, nevertheless, benefit of every additional non-standard model that delivers above-average performance (and features); at a reasonable price.

The US market, certainly, does offer much more competition!

Last edited:

ttimer

I do agree. However, in Europe - where Buchardt Audio is situated - people are generally not willing to put "huge" subwoofers/loudspeakers in their living room(s); which probably is the main area of application for a WiSA setup.

Actually, i have some doubts that the "3-4 subwoofers" approach could gain any kind of mainstream traction in Europe or US urban centres. Optically and acoustically integrating a single sub with good placement into a smallish living room is already something hardly anyone is willing to do. Even if it is dead simple stuff like Sonos. Placing 3-4 big black boxes with cables at specific locations is not something i can see happening outside of a home-theater or hardcore audio-nerd setting.

A costly but more acceptable approach might require vastly different form factors and placement options than the stuff thats currently available. Flat subs for wall-mounting or hiding underneath the couch are a first step in the right direction. Better would be small (<30cm per side) devices which can be integrated into shelves or hidden underneath them. Everything wireless, obviously.

Top Bottom