• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buchardt Will Release an Active Speaker

PresbyByrd

Forum Donor
From a Buchardt rep on Facebook (This was in response to the suggestion they should come out with an active speaker.):

We are soon ready with some actives yes. But they aim to hit way above the xeo series, so the prices does as well.

A500 : Its close to the design of the S400 and then not really. It looks like it with the waveguide, it's just on top now (we can do time alignment in the DSP here). The cabinet is a bit deeper (4 centimeters). The big change is that we here use closed cabinets. We have one woofer in the front, and one in the back over the active system. Each woofer is in its own cabinet inside so we can time aligned the back woofer. They don't have much space to work with so we need a ton of power for them. Here we have 3 x 150 w of some brand new class d chips from Texas Instruments and a powerful power supply to support them. We have a high quality DSP and the CS4398 DAC in each speaker as well. They can be connected via WISA to our hub and remote. You can use any WISA receiver for that matter so the system is very flexible. You can also simply connect them via XLR to your own preamp and run them analog. But using our hub, you will also have the ability to use our Room correction, which is a topic by itself. But in short, it's made directly to handle the issues in the bass caused by the room (sub 250hz) and it touches nothing else! I really can't emphasize enough how fantastic this actually works, and it's very easy to setup as well and measure your room with the mic.

A700 floorstander : All the same jazz, just with 4 x 150 w amps and a 3.5 way design instead of a 2.5 way or 3 way depending on the configuration of the A500. This will have waveguide, 6" midrange, 2 x 6" woofers in front (17-200hz) and on the back 2 x 6" woofers (17-100hz). Still pretty elegant and compact design, but with a ton of power!

We have made our own high quality alu remote for the system. It's a very nice remote with led indication on volume and what channel is selected. The hub is a small black box where you would connect everything to. of inputs it has 1 x analog 3 x optics 1 x coax 1 x USB 1 x Mini Jack 1 x HDMI. To this it has built in Chromecast, Airplay, Spotify connect and Bluetooth. So its a complete system.

A500 would be 3500 euro including VAT, TAX, import fees and worldwide shipping.

A700 would be 5000 euro including VAT, TAX, import fees and worldwide shipping.

We do also have plans for a cheaper active that is more in the competition of the xeo series, cheaper than the s400 as well.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Mads Buchardt has actually mentioned these a few times here =] He even shared photos and a preliminary spinorama of the speaker in its cardioid arrangement. It can actually switch between cardiod and traditional 2.5 arrangements, and maybe even more setups in the future, which is pretty neat.

Preliminary Cardioid Spin for the A500 - the bookshelf model. Mads mentioned this was not a final spin, but gives an idea of what they're going for:
Cardioid.png

Look at that bass extension down to 25 Hz =] I hope there's some way to adjust the bass too, say if you have the speaker right against the wall or very far from it. I wonder when compression kicks in. I imagine the floorstander would be able to hit 20.

And here are photos of the A500:
View attachment DSCF4672.jpg

View attachment DSCF4673.jpg

But yes, exciting stuff.

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That's good news, it could make a small 8C at a really decent price. I hadn't seen the impressive spin

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, looks like the most affordable end game system for smaller rooms, especially since you are replacing DAC/amp section completely. Will be interesting to see how Dynaudio and KEF respond to these incredibly sophisticated systems

maxxevv

Major Contributor
The A500 price is for singular unit ? If so, that's (more than) double the A400 though!

Would be interesting when it comes out to see how well they perform.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The A500 price is for singular unit ? If so, that's (more than) double the A400 though!

Would be interesting when it comes out to see how well they perform.
For perspective the Genelec 8351B is similarly spec’d for pro use, and is $4,000 each, but you can add multiple matching subwoofers of varying sizes and the DSP would incorporate them for perfectly flat and even bass response room wide. So $3,500 each pits the A500 against what is arguably the best in the business.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
For perspective the Genelec 8351B is similarly spec’d for pro use, and is $4,000 each, but you can add multiple matching subwoofers of varying sizes and the DSP would incorporate them for perfectly flat and even bass response room wide. So $3,500 each pits the A500 against what is arguably the best in the business.

Nope, the 8351B is only priced that way perhaps in the US. It costs less based off Europe retail. ~US$3500 after conversion

https://www.thomann.de/gb/genelec_8351_apm.htm

Correct link:
https://ravico.de/shop/567-studio-monitor-speakers/14786-genelec-8351b-sam-studio-monitor-black/

But yes, off in Europe, the A500 price at EURO 3500 is close but still over 10% more than the 8351.

I have not heard nor had a chance to demo the 8351, so it remains to be seen how good it might be. But interesting times indeed.

Last edited:

boniek

Nope, the 8351B is only priced that way perhaps in the US. It costs less based off Europe retail. ~US$3500 after conversion

https://www.thomann.de/gb/genelec_8351_apm.htm

But yes, off in Europe, the A500 price at EURO 3500 is close but still over 10% more than the 8351.

I have not heard nor had a chance to demo the 8351, so it remains to be seen how good it might be. But interesting times indeed.
This is 8351A. B version is/will be more expensive.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, under $3,000 for the 8351b certainly puts pressure on the A500 because much of the Genelec magic is from the effectiveness of its GLM room tuning system and multi-subwoofer functionality.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm 99 percent sure the A500 is $3500 for a pair not individual. Buchardt doesn't sell speakers individually, and it makes absolutely no sense for buchardt to go from roughly $1800 a pair for its passive speakers to nearly four times the price for an active version. Buchardt seems to emphasize value. $7000 is not that.

That said, if you could confirm @Mads Buchardt that'd be great =]

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mads gave those same prices as per pair some time ago.

If the prices have doubled since that early estimate, that would be surprising to me, but it seems unlikely they would have exactly doubled, more likely they are priced as a pair.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mads gave those same prices as per pair some time ago.

If the prices have doubled since that early estimate, that would be surprising to me, but it seems unlikely they would have exactly doubled, more likely they are priced as a pair.
Thanks for the clarification - it's now back on my short list of "affordable" DSP active monitors.

Mads Buchardt

Audio Company
Hi Guys! Sorry for my sloppy reply time, we have been so busy with these A500 and A700 speakers!

You can get all the information on our website now, we just announce them with a ton of information.

Prices are per pair and include free worldwide shipping as DDP - Delivered duty paid is a delivery agreement whereby we assume all of the responsibility, risk, and costs associated with transporting the products to your doorstep. This agreement includes paying for shipping costs, export and import duties, insurance, and any other expenses incurred during shipping. This ensures that no matter where you live, no matter your local taxes, you get our speakers at the same price as everyone else.

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi Mads, a couple questions on how these are going to work.

Frequency response extends very deep in these, but for those that want to integrate a subwoofer and utilize the hub, is this possible?

Anything you can share on how the HDMI-ARC input will work? Will it support volume control from a TV via ARC? Anything important to know about format support over HDMI?

Mads Buchardt

Audio Company
Hi Mads, a couple questions on how these are going to work.

Frequency response extends very deep in these, but for those that want to integrate a subwoofer and utilize the hub, is this possible?

Anything you can share on how the HDMI-ARC input will work? Will it support volume control from a TV via ARC? Anything important to know about format support over HDMI?

We would have different (master tunings) available at launch. This is new tunings/configurations you can install via the USB input on the back with a USB key. Just a small file you download from our website. These can completely change the speakers configuration. It could be that you want them as a 3 way design maybe? Or 2 way with the back woofer as cardioid. Maybe you want them to do 20hz on the expense of high spl? In your case you would most likely go with our sub tuning.

The best solution to add a sub, would be a wisa sub. There would be other ways, which I'm looking into. I think I did underestimated how many would actually be using subs with them. Had that same question a few time yesterday as well. You can use any WiSA transmitter, like the primare preamps as well. But I would find a proper answer to how to use our hub and none wisa subs simultaneously. Please email me at [email protected] and I will get back to you

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We would have different (master tunings) available at launch. This is new tunings/configurations you can install via the USB input on the back with a USB key. Just a small file you download from our website. These can completely change the speakers configuration. It could be that you want them as a 3 way design maybe? Or 2 way with the back woofer as cardioid. Maybe you want them to do 20hz on the expense of high spl? In your case you would most likely go with our sub tuning.

The best solution to add a sub, would be a wisa sub. There would be other ways, which I'm looking into. I think I did underestimated how many would actually be using subs with them. Had that same question a few time yesterday as well. You can use any WiSA transmitter, like the primare preamps as well. But I would find a proper answer to how to use our hub and none wisa subs simultaneously. Please email me at [email protected] and I will get back to you
You should listen to me! Multiple sub integration is critical and you will sell truckloads of systems as people build up their funds. Make it easy(ier) and seem-less and you will be the first to successfully accomplish this. You could probably use REW (licensed) so you don't have to reinvent the wheel too.

Mads Buchardt

Audio Company
You should listen to me! Multiple sub integration is critical and you will sell truckloads of systems as people build up their funds. Make it easy(ier) and seem-less and you will be the first to successfully accomplish this. You could probably use REW (licensed) so you don't have to reinvent the wheel too.

We will be doing WiSA subs :) Its a easy product to do compared to a speaker like the A500. And i was just informed that i would soon have what i need to get these build. So it's mainly a question of time now!

What would you like to see here. Single 10" sealed for best sound quality, or 10" active supported by 2 x 10" passive radiators for a huge spl increase?

Top Bottom