• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buchardt S400 Speaker Review

Streamc

What the point of passive A500? Can it go deep to 40Hz like real A500?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
33Hz -3dB? Do not believe. There is measurements. Even in room

With or without EQ, doesn't matter:

S400 Placement Testing 1.png

Buchardt S400 In-Room Extension.png

You can see it clearly at 33 Hz.

testp

New S400... looks like Buchardt's have read what Amir measured and are adding bracing inside the cabinet's which are now even little bigger + lower crossover freq. + better crossover parts. Nice!

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
New S400... looks like Buchardt's have read what Amir measured and are adding bracing inside the cabinet's which are now even little bigger + lower crossover freq. + better crossover parts. Nice!
Buchardt didn't need anyone's measurements – remember, they have access to a Klippel NFS and were one of the first to publish their own. But, the changes are mainly centered around the new woofer and new crossover, and a cabinet volume change that was probably needed for the new woofer. The larger cabinet then needed bracing.

Booker

Forum Donor

RMW_NJ

I wasn't aware of this upgrade. I wonder what measurable differences can be expected in performance?

I asked Mads and he said the measurements on the S400 SE page are for the new crossover. It looks slightly different than the old version with the 2670hz crossover point. Would be nice if there was an economy version without the high priced Jantzen Z Caps.

One thing I don’t understand: I believe Buchardt had made the comment that they raised the crossover point to 2670hz because they had gotten a few tweeter failures at the original, lower crossover that was used on the very first batches of the S400. I’m interested what changed that now allows them to use an 1800hz crossover on the MKII and 2000hz on the SE crossover.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is quite a markup on that crossover upgrade too. $750 before shipping!

For not much more. could make it an active design and would be a true upgrade. :)

RMW_NJ

It doesn't look like the circuit has been changed--just "better" parts. I wouldn't expect any measurable differences.
They claim in the notification email that it’s a newly revised crossover with a lower crossover point than the original. Don’t know how much audible or measurable difference that actually will make.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It doesn't look like the circuit has been changed--just "better" parts. I wouldn't expect any measurable differences.
Are the nominal RLC values the same on both?

Reactions: ENG

xarkkon

1632358832204.png
qb28ypbevcui.jpg

Looking at the 2 crossovers, there might be some visual minor differences between the circuit. The upgrade looks like it has 1 less resistor and 1 less inductor compared to the standard one. (Picture of the upgrade from Buchardt's site. Picture of the normal crossover found randomly via google)

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I asked Mads and he said the measurements on the S400 SE page are for the new crossover. It looks slightly different than the old version with the 2670hz crossover point. Would be nice if there was an economy version without the high priced Jantzen Z Caps.

One thing I don’t understand: I believe Buchardt had made the comment that they raised the crossover point to 2670hz because they had gotten a few tweeter failures at the original, lower crossover that was used on the very first batches of the S400. I’m interested what changed that now allows them to use an 1800hz crossover on the MKII and 2000hz on the SE crossover.

I know the waveguide boosts low end efficiency but I was always skeptical of the ability of that sb19 tweeter to do 1800hz. I think I asked mads about it and iirc he said that their testing allowed plenty of output but still. That tweeter was not designed for a two way.

Of course 90s audiophile speaker companies were probably doing two ways with first order crossovers with hiquphons so what do I know.

2670 is a much more reasonable crossover point. This unit has an Fs of 980hz.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
View attachment 155113
qb28ypbevcui.jpg

Looking at the 2 crossovers, there might be some visual minor differences between the circuit. The upgrade looks like it has 1 less resistor and 1 less inductor compared to the standard one. (Picture of the upgrade from Buchardt's site. Picture of the normal crossover found randomly via google)
It's possible. I was just going by the lack of any mention of a circuit change in the factory write-up of the upgraded board.

Top Bottom