• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buchardt S400 Speaker Review

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It seems that there are far better values out there, at or below the S400 price point.

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That's probably because you never auditioned them.
I would if I could. I don't want to buy a pair, then send them back just to form an opinion. That might increase the cost others might have to pay for them, if we all did it.

That, and a lack of compulsion. I am in the enviably stable position of having a pair of Elacs that satisfy me. My most compelling current position is in discovering Mahler, not more speakers. ;)

xarkkon

Here's hoping that Mads sends across the S400 Mk II across to Amir. Given the added bracing and other tweaks and a slight increase to price, I'll be keen to see if he they've addressed the 500 hz issue

testp

Really hoping for early review, and yes sending one to Amir is mandatory! in a good way

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's hoping that Mads sends across the S400 Mk II across to Amir. Given the added bracing and other tweaks and a slight increase to price, I'll be keen to see if he they've addressed the 500 hz issue
The 500 Hz thing wasn't audible to Amir or Erin. The bracing is nice, but is probably the smallest of all the changes they made.

The price increase sucks, but here's how I look at it. Honestly I think all speakers will be going up. There is currently more than one week's worth of ships drifting off the coast of L.A. due to the voracious appetite of the American economy. At least we're getting some solid upgrades to go along with it.

jonfitch

Is it just me or did Bucardt not post any measurements of the mark 2?

Awdeyo

S400 mkii vs ls50 meta , without audition what would you pick and why? :)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
S400 mkii vs ls50 meta , without audition what would you pick and why? :)
I agree with this opinion below
Not a fair comparison. The Buchardt will wipe the floor with the LS50 mostly due to bass. You'd have to compare against LS50 + 10" sealed sub.
but to be fair with the price difference you can comfortably buy a decent subwoofer for the LS50 Meta.

Ata

Forum Donor
Not a fair comparison. The Buchardt will wipe the floor with the LS50 mostly due to bass. You'd have to compare against LS50 + 10" sealed sub.

That is not immediately obvious from the preference scores (5.5 vs 5.6-6.0 in favour of LS50M) even though the Buchardt does have better lower end extension... LS50M+sub will be significantly better at a lower price.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is not immediately obvious from the preference scores (5.5 vs 5.6-6.0 in favour of LS50M)
Preference scores are not a good indicator of sound quality when speakers are in the same range.

LS50M+sub will be significantly better at a lower price.
Maybe. I'd watch the comparison above.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And the challenger is...

NZ6_6695-01.jpeg

Top Bottom