• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buchardt S400 or ELAC DBR-62

blodsbror

I'm after a new set of speakers to replace KEF LS50's (30 sq room). They will be used for both stereo and Movie duties (stereo), and decent bass impact is quite important (especially for movies, as I don't have space for a subwoofer). On paper, and from what reviews I've read, the S400's should likely be at the top of my list due to the passive radiator.

However for those that have heard both, how might the ELAC's compare bass wise ?. I understand they are both very different sounding speakers - but the rave ELAC reviews (here and elsewhere) have me very interested. And they are much cheaper! If it can sway the recommendations, I mostly listen to Rock/Metal. But yes, Klipsch's are not an option ;)

q3cpma

Major Contributor
If you want bookshelves speakers with bass and without a subwoofer, you should consider active monitors. Especially when you're ready to spend that much.

OP
B

blodsbror

Yes, that’s an option. But I already have an amp/dac/preamp. (Denafrips pre/amp and matrix audio dac)
What would you suggest? Up to the $2000 USD point.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are floor-standers out? What is your listening distance?

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Yes, that’s an option. But I already have an amp/dac/preamp. (Denafrips pre/amp and matrix audio dac)
What would you suggest? Up to the $2000 USD point.
Well, you can still use your DAC and preamp.

Here are some models with serious bass:
* Kali LP8 or JBL LSR308 ($400/pair), both very good but beware the hiss. Kali provides data in the CLF format for their speakers and their IN-8 was tested here.
* Behringer Truth B2031A ($440/pair), review with measurements: http://noaudiophile.com/Behringer_Truth_B2031A/
* Presonus Eris E8 XT ($480), only an on-axis graph given by the manufacturer:
2020-04-08_18:22:11.png

* Yamaha HS8 ($740), https://www.soundandrecording.de/equipment/yamaha-hs-8/
* Dynaudio bm5 mkIII ($1000), no measurements to be found but it looks solid, sports a digital crossover with class D amps.
* Dynaudio LYD 8 ($1600), measurements from the manual:
2020-04-08_18:13:08.png
2020-04-08_18:13:21.png

* Mackie HR824 mk2 ($1600), no measurements but looks very solidly built, has good reviews and promises 37Hz-20kHz (±1.5 dB). The HR624 is 49Hz-20kHz (±1.5 dB) for $400 less.
* Adam A8X ($2000), no measurements to be found.
* Eve Audio SC8 (can't find in the US), manufacturer says:
On-axis and 30° off-axis
EveAudio_SC208_FreqResponse.png

Distorsion, orange 2nd and green 3rd
EveAudio_SC208_Distortion.png

* Genelec 8040B ($2350, very expensive compared to Europe)
8040A_horizontal_response.png

I would have recommended the 8050B or even 1032C, but seeing the markup of the 8040B, this is out of the question.

Last edited:
OP
B

blodsbror

Have a look at
Elac Navis
Buchart A500
Sell the amp :)

The A500's are very tempting, and would likely be the perfect option. But they are 3750 Euro with the hub. It's an option, as I could sell basically everything else.

Roasty

U should consider the Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2EX as well. Very nice speakers.

OP
B

blodsbror

Is the bass on the R3s quite strong with a good amount of weight, especially with movies? It’s an option if so. The LS50s are a bit bright, so wanted to try a softdome for once - but yes. Could be worth a listen.

xarkkon

I use S400s for my TV setup with a Sonos Amp. Pretty happy with the result. Amir's review of the speakers are kinda so-so. The speakers DO have downsides, but I kept them for what I wanted them for - big sound and tight punchy upper bass

Haven't heard the Elacs so can't help there unfortunately.

OP
B

blodsbror

I use S400s for my TV setup with a Sonos Amp. Pretty happy with the result. Amir's review of the speakers are kinda so-so. The speakers DO have downsides, but I kept them for what I wanted them for - big sound and tight punchy upper bass

Haven't heard the Elacs so can't help there unfortunately.

That’s really interesting. How do they go with movies in a 2.0 setup? Would you say bass is ample enough without a subwoofer? Of course you won’t get the lowest regions, but I live in an apartment, so probably a good thing anyway.

xarkkon

That’s really interesting. How do they go with movies in a 2.0 setup? Would you say bass is ample enough without a subwoofer? Of course you won’t get the lowest regions, but I live in an apartment, so probably a good thing anyway.
Yep, that's exactly how I use them and how I ended up with them. If I had permission for a sub, I would have gone for the Revel M16. Without a sub, these and the Charios were the top 2 in my list

Hattie

I'm after a new set of speakers to replace KEF LS50's (30 sq room). They will be used for both stereo and Movie duties (stereo), and decent bass impact is quite important (especially for movies, as I don't have space for a subwoofer). On paper, and from what reviews I've read, the S400's should likely be at the top of my list due to the passive radiator.

However for those that have heard both, how might the ELAC's compare bass wise ?. I understand they are both very different sounding speakers - but the rave ELAC reviews (here and elsewhere) have me very interested. And they are much cheaper! If it can sway the recommendations, I mostly listen to Rock/Metal. But yes, Klipsch's are not an option ;)
Kef ls50 is a great speaker I own them as well as the Buchardts. The kefs need a subwoofer unless you listen around 70 to 75 db. The s400s will do full range sound, but they need a good amp. The elacs I have not heard yet but plan to as well as the q acoustics

Hattie

You should look at the kef r3s as well they have a lot of bass probably more than the s400s, just a smaller soundstage. The elacs and Buchardts like power.

FabianB

I'm chiming in here as well, just to add my setup. I have very similarly setup to what blodsbror is after, and I use active speakers: JBL LSR6328, 2gens before the current LSR series. Not sure about the wattage of the top of my head but very good full range sound, good off axis response as far as I can tell, really fills the room.
However, good bass costs: they weigh like 44 pounds (22 kg) and the backside warms up the room due to the class AB amps. They are also very sensitive to GSM interferance which makes me think of upgrade/crossgrade them..
What did you end up with blodsbror?

OP
B

blodsbror

I'm chiming in here as well, just to add my setup. I have very similarly setup to what blodsbror is after, and I use active speakers: JBL LSR6328, 2gens before the current LSR series. Not sure about the wattage of the top of my head but very good full range sound, good off axis response as far as I can tell, really fills the room.
However, good bass costs: they weigh like 44 pounds (22 kg) and the backside warms up the room due to the class AB amps. They are also very sensitive to GSM interferance which makes me think of upgrade/crossgrade them..
What did you end up with blodsbror?

I ended up with the ELAC's, purely because of price. I think they are a great all-round speaker actually. Especially for the money. But for sure, I would have gone with the Buchardt's if I had the funds at this time, and am sure bass would be quite a bit stronger.

Top Bottom