• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buchardt S400 on and off-axis measurements (and the benefits of manufacturer data)

xarkkon

just a note to say thanks for the measurements and inputs! helpful stuff

Reactions: wje

Rockfella

Forum Donor
Speaker business 80% marketing.

Reactions: wje

maty

Major Contributor
At the end, tracks with voices. Too much bass, you know: "V" frequency curve. Do not my taste. I like curve more flat.

Horizontal

index.php

tuga

Major Contributor
Bass output is impressive too, especially when you realize the S400 is actually a fairly compact bookshelf. It's significantly smaller than, say, the KEF R3, but reaches nearly as low.

Were you able to measure distortion?

OP
N

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Were you able to measure distortion?

I did not take dedicated distortion measurements, though i guess I could look at distortion graphs from my existing meaaurements. I feel I'd like to understand distortion more and be more confident in my methodology before including them in my write-ups; I don't want to include them in my tests without being rock solid in interpreting the graphs and making sure I didn't screw up anything in the measurement process.:)

(Plus I don't care about distortion very much unless something is clearly audible, but eventually I'll include them).

xarkkon

Johan Liebert

Interesting comment about sand cast resistors. not something i'm too familiar with, but might be something i could easily replace and upgrade on my pair. hmm......
I think the diatribe on sand cast resistors may have not much merit and is just audiophile talk.

A whole new crossover that would give a better FR or integrate the drivers may be warranted though.

I wouldn't do this to my Buchardt's unless I know doing a certain thing was going to do something for me.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
They look very good something of the size.

Quick get hold of the Hivi H6's !! :p

xarkkon

I think the diatribe on sand cast resistors may have not much merit and is just audiophile talk.

A whole new crossover that would give a better FR or integrate the drivers may be warranted though.

I wouldn't do this to my Buchardt's unless I know doing a certain thing was going to do something for me.

As of your message, we both have EXACTLY 32 messages, 9 likes.... are you my ASR twin?! (ok, yes, i've spoilt it with this message, but still...)

1584343015688.png

OP
N

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been going through my old speaker measurements and trying to approximate spinoramas using old data with fewer measurements. 15 degree intervals instead of the 10 degrees.

Did the S400 today, and curiously, sound power looks a fair bit better than buchardt's and as a consequence early reflections/PIR looks better than I expected too.

S400 Spin.png

Mainly, you don't see the big crossover dip in Buchardt's own measurements. So some notes and theories:
  1. As noted in the original measurements, my measurements have a slight downward tilt while Buchart's have a slight upward one
  2. 15 degree intervals maybe isn't enough resolution for a good sound power measurement.
  3. Since buchardt uses a klippel, the true spherical data probably captures sound power more accurately, and captures that crossover issue better. Would be really curious to see a 3D Balloon around 2K given that listening window unevenness I noted in my OP.
  4. The Directivity index curve, however, closely tracks buchardts other than not having the sharp peak at 2K.
  5. I also think the ER and ERDI curves should be fairly representative other than the downward tilt on the EE
Of course I'd trust buchardt's fancy measurements over my own, but kind of interesting. My measurements actually make Buchardt look better than it's own, so that's always nice to see from a company.

Curious to see what Amir's end up looking like, though I assume they will look more like buchardt's given both use the klippel.

Editing for polars:

Horizontal:

VituixCAD Directivity (hor).png

Vertical:
VituixCAD Directivity (ver).png

Last edited:

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom