• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buchardt I150 integrated Amp/DAC

Geert

Major Contributor
Nice to see someone share actual experience instead of only voicing opinions based on 'science'.
A statement based on science is more than just an opinion.

My main speakers are fed with a DRC signal, and have very specific time alignment and group delay correction. Using this as the source for another type of speakers, sub's in this context, located at another point in the room would simply not work. Don't need to experience to find out.

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Rel look nice but they are not very good subwoofers. Sorry to say. They roll off quick under 30hz. Also sorry to say but if you care about high quality sound you wouldn’t be buying a 8 inch wide tower speaker with a couple of 6 inch “woofers” the cabinet for the A700 and especially the bookshelf speakers are much too tiny. This is a lifestyle speaker for people who don’t know better. And again sorry to say but it seems to me you just don’t know better. Also why is a 12” woofer “slower” then a smaller one? Sounds to me like you’re parroting REL marketing...

Eckelstone

Rel look nice but they are not very good subwoofers. Sorry to say. They roll off quick under 30hz. Also sorry to say but if you care about high quality sound you wouldn’t be buying a 8 inch wide tower speaker with a couple of 6 inch “woofers” the cabinet for the A700 and especially the bookshelf speakers are much too tiny. This is a lifestyle speaker for people who don’t know better. And again sorry to say but it seems to me you just don’t know better. Also why is a 12” woofer “slower” then a smaller one? Sounds to me like you’re parroting REL marketing...

If you use a Subwoofer to extent the frequencies of a monitor speaker, the Rels are perfect. There is no point in adding a 12 inch Sub to a 5 inch mini monitor. Apparently you don't now better or you just don't reed and have never heard these products yourself. If you already have tower speakers with 8 inch woofers than the Rel can still help with fullness of the sound. but not by much. If you want below 30hz performance they also have the S series. A smaller woofer can move faster, that is just plain fysics.

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Good to see you already know everything then. Any more fysics you can teach me?

Geert

Major Contributor
A smaller woofer can move faster, that is just plain fysics.
That's complete nonsense, as the larger woofer will get equipped with a more powerful motor (magnet and coil).

Last edited:

Eckelstone

That's complete nonsense, as the larger woofer will get equipped with a more powerful motor (magnet and coil).

Unbelievable the level of incompetence on this pseudo science forum. Off course a smaller woofer is capable of moving faster. It is not non sense. That is why a large subwoofer could never be used for mid frequencies (at least not with a certain detail level) and that is why very different and very light materials in bass and mid woofers are used for detail retrieval. The lightness of the material place a big part. If you use a very light material the precision and speed are higher, at the expense of power and output. So a 8 inch (sub)woofer that is also used for bass frequencies and extend up to 80hz-100hz actually needs to be very fast to follow the speed of the monitor speaker. The rel T series woofers are very light and fast and therefore power is also limited, because orherwise they would break. That’s why they also have HT lines with more power and sturdier woofer design. The Harbeths that use radial material sound much more detailed in the mid range for that reason as well. In this case a sub is not really a subwoofer. Because it is used for bass output. If you have room for big speakers and a big system than a 12 inch sub with lots of power works well, because it only needs to drive the real sub frequencies which are slow waves by nature, so need a lot of power as well.

Geert

Major Contributor
What's realy unbelievable is your level of rudeness. On top of that you missed or don't seem to understandy my explanation on why a larger woofer can be fast, so no point in discussing this any further. (The weight of the cone material is another part of the equation, as is the enclosure design).

Geert

Major Contributor
Apparently you don't now better or you just don't reed and have never heard these products yourself.
And as you seem to promote reading: http://diy-audio.narod.ru/litr/WooferSpeed.pdf

"It turns out that transient response of a woofer is nota function of the moving mass, as is commonly espoused (one of the most infamous audio myths). In actuality, it is based upon the inductance of the driver."

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Unbelievable the level of incompetence on this pseudo science forum.

Let's dial back the 'you are a bunch of dumbasses' types of comments please.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Secondly, you claim that the benefit of a subwoofer is to relieving your mean speakers of deep bass duties is also a clear misconception. A HT subwoofer is designed to only display the LFE. A 'musical' sub on the other hand is meant to extend the low frequencies or make them fuller. In essence making your speakers sound bigger, not taking over part of their job. Preferably in a stereo setup and close to the speakers. If you have speakers that are too bass heavy and need to be tuned down, you just have the wrong speakers.
No, the best practice is to use a crossover and not run speakers full range when using subs.

And your comments about "slow" woofers don't hold up, either. Another audiophile myth.

ezra_s

Forum Donor

mSpot

I don’t see a sub out or mention of bass management.
It has two sub outputs. Also, on their Facebook page there was mention about being able to set crossover frequencies for the subs and main speakers. I wish I could find it to quote, but searching on Facebook is so horrid.

3.png

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It has two sub outputs. Also, on their Facebook page there was mention about being able to set crossover frequencies for the subs and main speakers. I wish I could find it to quote, but searching on Facebook is so horrid.

3.png
Found it at: https://www.buchardtaudio.com/shop/i150-integrated-amplifier-buchardt-family

QUICK CROSSOVER SETTINGS
Should you need to set a high-pass filter on the speakers you have connected to the I150, then you have a quick and easy way that goes as follows.

Press and hold the power bottom on the I150, then press simultaneously the input selector in order to toggle between inputs which give you:

(LINE) = FLAT

(OPT1) = 40Hz

(OPT2) = 60hz

(COAX) = 80hz

(USB) = 100hz

(BT) = 120hz

This is a quick setting if you want to introduce a subwoofer to your system.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

It looks like, probably based on feedback, they updated the product into something usable and useful. Cool!

smittygrl01

I am interested in this amp. Joined this forum to get an idea of what people who have the amp think. I would also like a few answers to my questions. 1. Can I connect a phonograph? Has anyone used this amp with S400 speakers? What do you think of the pairing with the S400. What are similar amps to the I150. I am looking for pure sound and not intense base. love my S400, but not thrilled with the pairing of the Roksan K3. I am new to this forum so no insults. Some science would be nice, but more interested in hearing about some comparisons before I order these for a try. Is this amp worth a try.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the amp is in pre order so no one knows how it sounds etc. But indeed it looks very nice.

noobie1

I am interested in this amp. Joined this forum to get an idea of what people who have the amp think. I would also like a few answers to my questions. 1. Can I connect a phonograph? Has anyone used this amp with S400 speakers? What do you think of the pairing with the S400. What are similar amps to the I150. I am looking for pure sound and not intense base. love my S400, but not thrilled with the pairing of the Roksan K3. I am new to this forum so no insults. Some science would be nice, but more interested in hearing about some comparisons before I order these for a try. Is this amp worth a try.

You won’t be able to connect a phonograph directly unless it has a built in phono preamp that you are willing to use. There are many integrated amps that you can choose from at this price. If you can provide your requirements (how many devices do you want to connect, how loud you listen, etc), it would be a lot easier to provide other options.

smittygrl01

thanks, i am thinking of going in on blind faith. Just thought an eager beaver would have bought the first one

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Happy to see another modern, integrated stereo amplifier with proper subwoofer support (both low- and highpass). With Hypex inside as well, this should have good potential! :)

Daverz

Major Contributor

The Roksan is rated at 220 W into 4 ohms, which should be adequate (I use a Bryston 3B-SST which is rated at 250 W @ 4 Ohm). The Buchardt amp does offer their low level listening feature, but aside from that, I wouldn't expect the change to make a substantive difference. I would suggest experimenting with EQ first (e.g. room correction with different "house" curves).

Top Bottom