• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buchardt Audio S400

Mads Buchardt

Audio Company
They will be priced around 3500 euros for a pair. This would be a fixed worldwide price where we do cover all expenses for import worldwide. This is a change from the current model we have now with an inside and outside EU pricing. It's confusing to people with tax/vat and import. So with the new model, we have one price for everyone.

We would make a lot of different tunings and configurations available for the A500 and A700 (floorstanders). These tunings would be downloadable files from our website. You load them in with a USB stick, it's very easy to do. The Cardioid tuning we are testing right now is unbelievable good, so i do think this would be the standard we would launch the speakers with. But nothing is set in stone yet. luckily it's a very flexible system, so we can always just provide new tunings that can completely change the speakers. So you have to see these speakers as being a type of platform as well. We would also provide a ton of tuning features to the customer via an app if you like to dig into it. They do also come with a room correction that is specifically designed to deal with bass issues caused by your room. It only touches sub 250hz and is completely free of the typical drawbacks in terms of sound quality we often hear with room corrections. But this is a topic for another time.

Kaka89. Did you hear them on the same system and room as your Harbeth M30.1? I actually recently had a customer that replaced his M30.1 with the S400 and liked the S400 better, but said that they sounded very much alike actually. But there can be a million reasons to why. I can say that the A500 does sound different from the S400, it's a paper cone woofer in the A500 instead of the alu cone in the S400. So the texture of the midrange especially is different.

As for roon. It's a question for the hub we offer with them. The speakers can be used analog via XLR, or via WISA (wireless). Here you have a lot of other options than the hub we offer. But we are working on Roon ready, so it would be there in future firmware update (this is not 100% sure though).

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey Guys. trying to comment here as much as possible :)

On the topic of bass extension, it's extremely hard to state what to go with. As mentioned, many manufacturers do straight up lie about this, and if we were to just mention an anechoic measurement, it would look like that our speakers do not play any bass on paper. So I did went with a bit of both, an anechoic measurement and a pretty realistic in room statement, measured at the sitting position, we often get better results with them but it's SO room dependent.

Regarding the upcoming actives, i can share an anechoic measurement of the A500 which is only 4 centimeters deeper than the S400. Here its configured as a cardioid speaker, we would also offer a standard 2.5 way setting with them. To those that don't know, on the back, we have another active 6" woofer, this is why we can make them cardioid our a 2.5 way or even 3 way design. The Speakers have 3 x 150w amps, one for each speaker and used closed back cabinet design.

Now please don't see the measurement as a finial product, they are not completely done yet.

Nice, :) a Question .
How do you connect a subwoofer ? does it have an output for that ?

OP
jtwrace

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We would make a lot of different tunings and configurations available for the A500 and A700 (floorstanders). These tunings would be downloadable files from our website. You load them in with a USB stick, it's very easy to do. The Cardioid tuning we are testing right now is unbelievable good, so i do think this would be the standard we would launch the speakers with. But nothing is set in stone yet. luckily it's a very flexible system, so we can always just provide new tunings that can completely change the speakers. So you have to see these speakers as being a type of platform as well. We would also provide a ton of tuning features to the customer via an app if you like to dig into it. They do also come with a room correction that is specifically designed to deal with bass issues caused by your room. It only touches sub 250hz and is completely free of the typical drawbacks in terms of sound quality we often hear with room corrections. But this is a topic for another time.
Implement an easy multiple subwoofer solution via the app too. You would be the first! ;)

As for roon. It's a question for the hub we offer with them. The speakers can be used analog via XLR, or via WISA (wireless). Here you have a lot of other options than the hub we offer. But we are working on Roon ready, so it would be there in future firmware update (this is not 100% sure though).
Gotcha. Keep in mind that Roon Ready is important to many.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We would make a lot of different tunings and configurations available for the A500 and A700 (floorstanders). These tunings would be downloadable files from our website. You load them in with a USB stick, it's very easy to do. The Cardioid tuning we are testing right now is unbelievable good, so i do think this would be the standard we would launch the speakers with. But nothing is set in stone yet. luckily it's a very flexible system, so we can always just provide new tunings that can completely change the speakers.
This sounds very interesting and innovative. Is it possible with your configuration to control the frequency the cardioid starts at, and the dispersion angle? So you end up controlling the virtual width of the speakers.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Man, the A500 sounds seriously appealing. I just started testing the D&D 8C - surprise: they sound fantastic - and the thing that impresses me the most about them is how clean the bass is once set up. The idea of a cardioid speaker at a more palatable price is very appealing.

Last edited:

kaka89

Kaka89. Did you hear them on the same system and room as your Harbeth M30.1? I actually recently had a customer that replaced his M30.1 with the S400 and liked the S400 better, but said that they sounded very much alike actually. But there can be a million reasons to why. I can say that the A500 does sound different from the S400, it's a paper cone woofer in the A500 instead of the alu cone in the S400. So the texture of the midrange especially is different.

Thank you for the respond. No I didn't compare M30.1 and A400 in the same room, and I understand the A400 will sound different once I get it home. Don't get me wrong, the A400 I heard is still amazingly good and it is one of my favourite speaker I have demoed in a long while, and I agree A400 beat my higher price M30.1 in many ways.

I am excited to hear that A500 will be even better than A400. Looking forward to seeing it launch. Please keep us posted.

OP
jtwrace

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Man, the A500 sounds seriously appealing. I just started testing the D&D 8C - surprise: they sound fantastic - and the thing that impresses me the most about them is how clean the bass is once set up. The idea of a cardioid speaker at a more palatable price is very appealing.
Personally, I like the sound of the S400 better than the D&D which I've heard twice (not in my room).

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally, I like the sound of the S400 better than the D&D which I've heard twice (not in my room).

Bold impressions! I've heard enough speakers at home at this point to know perceived sound quality is about a whole lot of things and price has little do with it.

I think with something like the D&D the price premium comes from one main thing versatility. Not only does it sound good, but you should, in theory, make it sound good in just about any room in a variety of setups. I can move it closer or farther to the sidewalls, change toe in and alter the sound stage, etc without ruining the sound quality. I can use it up against the front wall - a rarity - or further away. Then there are all the EQ settings and etc.

Would be pretty rad to have that flexibility in a cheaper design.

Last edited:

kaka89

D&D 8C might be room friendly, but it is not quite "home" friendly. They are huge in size for a small-ish apartment.
For home use, I would still like a flat response, but I don't need high SPL. The D&D is a bit overkill and I felt it produce too much energy for my causal listening.

So the A500 is very attractive to me. Please make it great!

sfdoddsy

Given this site is founded on the principle of scientific measurements being the most accurate guide to the quality of a speaker, I find this very interesting, especially given your experience in well-designed speakers.

The S400s haven't, as far as I'm aware, been independently measured, but anecdotal ones are available. They are good, but a cheap pro monitor like the Neumann KH80 is measurable better.

The D&Ds have been independently measured, and those measurements appear to place it at the peak of what matters in a speaker.

For you to prefer the S400s indicates either that preference overcomes reference, or that we are measuring the wrong things.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
D&D 8C might be room friendly, but it is not quite "home" friendly. They are huge in size for a small-ish apartment.
Really? They might have a bit more visual impact than smaller stand mounts but the positioning freedom should make them take up less space, not more than typical stand mounts that should not be placed against the wall.

OP
jtwrace

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Given this site is founded on the principle of scientific measurements being the most accurate guide to the quality of a speaker, I find this very interesting, especially given your experience in well-designed speakers.

The S400s haven't, as far as I'm aware, been independently measured, but anecdotal ones are available. They are good, but a cheap pro monitor like the Neumann KH80 is measurable better.

The D&Ds have been independently measured, and those measurements appear to place it at the peak of what matters in a speaker.

For you to prefer the S400s indicates either that preference overcomes reference, or that we are measuring the wrong things.
As I mentioned, I didn't hear them in my room and setup by myself. They were in an odd environment but setup by D&D himself so I expected much better but was very disappointed as my expectations were very high. The S400's have just shined in my room after some basic measurements to get positioning set and no subs integrated. Next to the M2's they're scary good considering the cost/size.

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Next to the M2's they're scary good considering the cost/size.
explicit argumentation!;)

Misterwiggles

They will be priced around 3500 euros for a pair. This would be a fixed worldwide price where we do cover all expenses for import worldwide. This is a change from the current model we have now with an inside and outside EU pricing. It's confusing to people with tax/vat and import. So with the new model, we have one price for everyone.

Hi Mads:

This is all very exciting. I already own S400s and love them. Considering Buchardt for my family living room and the S500s seem like they will be perfect since we have limited space and family acceptance means not rack of HIFI gear in view. That said, a few questions:

- What are the wiring connections for the S500s? Each speaker will require AC power? What is wiring between the two speakers? I’m about to install floor outlets for these speakers and conduit to run any wiring under our floor, so want to know the general wiring set up.

- It sounds like your ‘hub’ is optional. But is your hub meant to replace an external DAC? Or is there a way to integrate an external DAC into the S500s while also maintaining your planned room correction?

- Would echo how important Roon is in your solution. Critical I would say. Also, my family needs Airplay 2, and while I don’t expect you to deliver this, I would need an ability to integrate a Raspberry Pi running USB output into whatever connection is required in the S500 setup (external DAC, Hub, etc.)

-mw

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

What do you mean by independently measured?

I measured the S400 myself and posted the results in this forum, and you replied to the thread =]. Perhaps you mean anechoic? In any case, I think my measurements are close enough to buchardts that they are useful. On the horizontal plane, the S400 has some of the best results I've seen on a speaker, passive or not.

While I'm not trying to argue the S400 sounds better or measure better than the 8C - I believe neither to be the case, so far - on principle I'd caution against taking measurements, especially the limited ones that are available to the public, to be the end-all-be-all of performance for individual listeners.

This isn't meant to criticize you, but I have occasionally seen people come into too-definitive conclusions about measurements here and elsewhere. Most studies cover preference over a wide range of listeners and tracks, but even among them, there is some person-to-person or even track-to-track variation. There will always be some speakers that perform better on certain tracks, in certain rooms, for certain listeners, for certain uses. The circle of confusion is too great to make preference 100 percent predictable.

Without access to a full, 360-degree suite of horizontal and vertical anechoic data, we have to be cautious when trying to decide if one speaker is better than the other through measurements alone if both of those speakers are generally well designed - as in, with no obvious and large faults. Even with spinorama data, some caution and expertise in interpretation is necessary.

As I've done multiple times in this forum, I bring up the case of the blind test shootout between the Revel Salon2 and JBL M2. Two flagship, scientifically designed speakers under the same corporate umbrella of a company that's considered to be the leader in acoustics research.

Here are the Salon2's spins:
Spin - Revel Ultima2 Salon2 (re-measured in 2017) (1).png

Here are the M2's:
Spin - JBL M2 (full spin).png

From this data, at a glance, there's much reason to believe the M2 is the better performing speaker. I was sure the M2 would win. An almost perfectly linear listening window and on-axis to the Salon2's jankier ones. Virtually no crossover dip on the M2 compared to a slight but noticeable one on the Salon2. And cleaner bass on the M2 as well.

But it was the Salon2 won two blind test shootouts by significant margins: 80-20 and 65-35 percent. 15 people participated in the tests and provided scores for several tracks, and I believe the tests were done in mono and stereo (someone correct me if I'm wrong - was one day mono and the other stereo? Or was it both each day?).

Many theorized on why the Salon2 won, but I believe Dr Toole said he believed the Salon2 won because of their wider dispersion. In his book, he also gives an example of one of his studies where speakers with poor off-axis response beat a speaker with 'cleaner' dispersion because wider dispersion was preferred. But elsewhere he also says preference on dispersion also varies for use case. While generally wide dispersion is preferred for recreational listening, there is some room for preference, and when it comes to mixing/mastering things get even more preferential.

Anyway, this test was revealing in that it showed that there's clearly a point at which on and off/axis frequency response linearity is "good enough" and then other variables such as dispersion width come to play.

So going back to the S400's, since you brought up the KH80 specifically, let's compare, as I've measured both.

Here's the horizontal response for the S400:

S400 Horizontal Response.png

Here's the horizontal response for the KH80:

esfZtxu.png

Ignoring the bass as that can be addressed with a sub, the KH80 is 'prettier.' But given what we know about the Salon2 vs M2, I don't think that's enough to declare it a winner. These have the best measurements of any speakers I've tested so far, and I think they're close enough that I doubt we'd be able to declare which is better on frequency response alone. Even dispersion is very similar between the two, with the KH80 a hair wider in the mids and the S400 a teensy bit wider in the treble.

While I definitely wouldn't expect the S400 to win in a blind shootout against the 8C given the ability to set up the 8C optimally, I don't find it inconceivable that someone might prefer them in the right conditions. I'll see what happens when I make my own measurements, but based on the soundstage network ones, the 8C might have ever so slightly narrower treble dispersion. But then of course, the 8C give you more flexibility for positioning if you want more lateral reflections.

And of course, this is to say nothing of things like distortion, compression etc. Just going off FR on and off axis.

Edit: Also not everyone agrees with Dr Toole on dispersion, as some argue in very small rooms narrower dispersion is preferable. I haven't personally found this to be true yet, but there's some research to support that conclusion as well.)

I guess it's a good thing we haven't figured it all out yet, or else this hobby would be a lot more boring =]

Attachments

• Spin - Revel Ultima2 Salon2.png
    Spin - Revel Ultima2 Salon2.png
    120.7 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

Mads Buchardt

Audio Company
Nice, :) a Question .
How do you connect a subwoofer ? does it have an output for that ?
You would optimally get an WISA capable sub. I have actually not checked if they exist yet. Otherwise if you run them via XLR to an Preamp, you would plug the subs to the Pre amp. But with the low end extension from the active speakers, who needs subs :D

Top Bottom