• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Buchardt Audio S400

That's a cool video. I had no idea the cabinets were made out of cast metal.
Ron, you might be interested in the cabinet design portion of this KEF whitepaper published for the LS50
https://www.kefdirect.com/pub/media/wysiwyg/documents/ls50/ls50_white_paper.pdf

Cabinet performance has historically been difficult to characterize - building heavy and rigid is probably not a bad thing but the KEF paper points to some interesting alternatives such as lossy elastomeric substances between braces. They also brace woofer basket which strikes me as a pretty good idea.

Ron Texas

Major Contributor
Ron, you might be interested in the cabinet design portion of this KEF whitepaper published for the LS50
https://www.kefdirect.com/pub/media/wysiwyg/documents/ls50/ls50_white_paper.pdf

Cabinet performance has historically been difficult to characterize - building heavy and rigid is probably not a bad thing but the KEF paper points to some interesting alternatives such as lossy elastomeric substances between braces. They also brace woofer basket which strikes me as a pretty good idea.
I have LS50's They seem to be exceptionally solid.

andreasmaaan

Major Contributor
Patreon Donor
It wouldn't be Kimmo Saunisto's website would it? What I'm looking for is a measured design using a reasonably normal hifi type driver. Really interested more in cardioid for 100-500hz more than anything.
Honestly can’t recall, sorry. Was ages ago I saw it. Was specifically focused on the lower midrange IIRC. Anyway, will scratch around when I’m back home this evening :)

So LS50 and LS 3/5a are both pretty narrow but not so smooth.

(Note the graph starts at 200Hz.. they all have a different scale and hiding lower frequency measurement, this is misleading if not careful)

ls50_white_paper_pdf.png

ls50_white_paper_pdf.png

Aprude51

Although I don’t have anything to add regarding some of the questions posed about the S400s (e.g. cabinet design, relative importance of polar response), I wanted to mention that I’ve experienced excellent customer service and communication when dealing with Buchardt. I preordered a pair of S400 and Mads (who appears to answer all emails himself!?!?!) has been super responsive and helpful throughout the process.

its great to see a consumer audiophile brand that combines a direct-to-consumer model and an evidence based approach to product design generate a lot of interest within the audiophile community (well at least among online reviewers).