• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buchardt Audio S400 - My Review

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay, but the actual output I get at 30 Hz is real. All of my songs that have output to just under 30 Hz I can hear with these speakers. Can you explain why we aren't seeing that in your measurement above?

In fact just last night I was doing sweeps and trying to hunt down what in my room was rattling at 35 Hz. Turned out to be a door.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
There is output. Just not as much. ;)

My measurements are accurate. They mimic both Amir’s and Buchardt’s as well. I trust my measurements because I know all conditions they were measured in. :)

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just so there's an understanding of where I'm coming from, here's the S400 in my room with and without EQ. They are basically small subwoofers on stands :cool:

S400 Placement Testing 4.png

Note this is a before and after speaker placement + EQ to (mostly) eliminate SBIR.

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just so there's an understanding of where I'm coming from, here's the S400 in my room with and without EQ. They are basically small subwoofers on stands :cool:

View attachment 70585
Filling almost 20 dB room bass dips like you do between 130-140 Hz isn't recommended as it removes a lot of headroom, increases distortion and makes the bass sound muddy usually unless the placement or measurement was different between the 2 as strangely also new nulls at 100 and 240 Hz appear.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Filling almost 20 dB room bass dips like you do between 130-140 Hz isn't recommended as it removes a lot of headroom, increases distortion and makes the bass sound muddy usually unless the placement or measurement was different between the 2 as strangely also new nulls at 100 and 240 Hz appear.
Read the legend carefully: the gold measurement is a change in speaker placement AND equalization to tame the resulting boominess that usually results from moving speakers closer to the front wall. I am taking advantage of the speaker's passive radiators to achieve this placement and superior bass performance. I could post a series of graphs with each step but I thought this was simpler. It is an exercise in optimizing placement by eliminating SBIR. Sorry for the confusion.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, a really nice, even response above 200 Hz. I get a dip in the lower midrange, and another dip above 2kHz which I assume the dip in the vertical response being strongly reflected by the ceiling (could also be floor bounce; the floors have thick carpet, but perhaps it's not a very effective absorber at that frequency).

View attachment 69624
How do you have the speakers aimed?

I tried aiming them right at me and it lifted and flattened the response a bit above 1-2 kHz up to 10 kHz. They sound livelier and the center image is more focused. There is a tradeoff with spaciousness so owners will need to experiment.

Daverz

Major Contributor
How do you have the speakers aimed?

I tried aiming them right at me and it lifted and flattened the response a bit above 1-2 kHz up to 10 kHz. They sound livelier and the center image is more focused. There is a tradeoff with spaciousness so owners will need to experiment.

I never liked the sound without toe-in, so I always had them toed-in. I also tried the "radical" toe-in crossing over in front of the listening position.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I never liked the sound without toe-in, so I always had them toed-in. I also tried the "radical" toe-in crossing over in front of the listening position.
They might be a little forward like this, but here is aimed at my seat:

Buchardt S400 + Rythmik G22 low mids.png

I think most people would call this pretty dead neutral, though we don't see a slope from 100-1000 so the mids will be forward. This probably contributes to the great imaging of vocals.

Edit: my AVR decided that the front LR levels should be +3 to +4. I backed them down by -3 and it sounds nicely balanced!

Are you having any issues in the low mids? I have a wide dip from 300-450 Hz that doesn't change with position and never averages out.

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't see any issues in your measurements in that range, but I do see one a bit lower at 200-250. I do have Audyssey running until 300 Hz so it's possible that was flattened out for me. I'm reluctant to instruct it to go higher because it tends to not sound as good to me.

I have noticed that there is a persistent 175 Hz cancellation that I think I've pinned down to be floor bounce related to the speaker's bass drivers distance to the floor, though that seems to fill in for the most part with subs and EQ and is otherwise a very narrow notch. 350 is a doubling of 175, so it has me wondering if there is any relation.

Top Bottom