• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

BSS BLU dacs any good?

rajapruk

Forum Donor
Anyone that has tested the performance of the analog output of BSS BLU products?

Are they good enough, i.e without hearable distortions (transparent)?

I have myself a BSS BLU-BOB2 dac, with functionality that fits perfectly in my system. But I am not confident that it is transparent.

The same cirquitry is supposed to be used in the analog output-cards for the BSS BLU processors. But, I have heard that different dac-chips have been used in different versions over time.

I am thinking about adding surround speakers to my system. I have 4pc of JBL LSR305 in storage that I can use for this. But then I need 4 more dac-channels. The most convenient would be to get yet another BSS BOB2.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Anyone that has tested the performance of the analog output of BSS BLU products? Are they good enough, i.e without hearable distortions (transparent)?

It seems to be one of those "professional" products that is just expected to do its job without fuss.

In this case, pull 8 channels out of a 256 channel bus.

All I see are the basic specs:

https://3e7777c294b9bcaa5486-bc9563...1039/BLU-BOB_Datasheet_18-0667-B_original.pdf

Maximum Output Level: +19dBu
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20KHz (+0.5dB/-1dB)
THD: <0.01% 20Hz to 20KHz, +10dBu output
Dynamic Range: 108dB typical, 22Hz-22KHz unweighted
Crosstalk: <-75dB D/A
Latency: 28/Fs [0.58ms@48K, 0.29ms@96K]

If you already have one, you should be able to say whether it performs adequately or not.

But I am not confident that it is transparent.

I'm not confident any of my stuff is "transparent" either.

I am thinking about adding surround speakers to my system. I have 4pc of JBL LSR305 in storage that I can use for this

As for the JBL 305, I'd consider that a much weaker link in your proposed chain, in terms of "transparency". Bass roll-off, harmonic distortions easily produced and measured. I have a new pair, they're ok for what they are. They don't compare well to my mains. I bought them to go into the garage.

Last edited:

Tatteredmidnight

It seems to be one of those "professional" products that is just expected to do its job without fuss.

In this case, pull 8 channels out of a 256 channel bus.

All I see are the basic specs:

https://3e7777c294b9bcaa5486-bc9563...1039/BLU-BOB_Datasheet_18-0667-B_original.pdf

Maximum Output Level: +19dBu
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20KHz (+0.5dB/-1dB)
THD: <0.01% 20Hz to 20KHz, +10dBu output
Dynamic Range: 108dB typical, 22Hz-22KHz unweighted
Crosstalk: <-75dB D/A
Latency: 28/Fs [0.58ms@48K, 0.29ms@96K]

If you already have one, you should be able to say whether it performs adequately or not.

I'm not confident any of my antique stuff is "transparent", but I can't hear (or, in-room, measure), or point to, any faults, other than room interactions.

As for the JBL 305, I'd consider that a much weaker link in your chain, in terms of "transparency". Bass roll-off, harmonic distortions easily produced and measured. I have a new pair, they're ok for what they are. They don't compare well to my mains. I bought them to go into the garage.
The pro audio company I used to work for used BSS London Soundweb with the BLU endpoints for FOH with tons of channels. This was a long time ago and was competing with CobraNET and ethersound. They seemed happy due to routability and latency which were the primary concern for that workload.

OP
R

rajapruk

Forum Donor
I have one in our theater but I loathe taking it out to measure. It is rack mounted with tons of wiring.....

Someone in the US that can send a BSS to Amir? I can pay the shipping cost.

OP
R

rajapruk

Forum Donor
I have one in our theater but I loathe taking it out to measure. It is rack mounted with tons of wiring.....
Are your theatre system described somewhere? I would like to see it.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Are your theatre system described somewhere? I would like to see it.
No it is not. It is a half-finished project like the rest of my electronic life. :) We built the theater but just don't spend time in it so I did not go the full mile.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Someone in the US that can send a BSS to Amir? I can pay the shipping cost.

Yes, and not necessary. You have me curious, too. :)

I have plans to upgrade my front speakers to JBL 7-series with remotely located amps. However, in the interim we had a kitchen renovation derailed by a rogue cabinetmaker and a first (sigh) contractor who chose to cut and run over fixing his subcontractor's mess. So fun things got pushed way back. But I collected some BSS breakout gear to make that happen with minimal additional cable routing.

Which hardware version is your BLU-BOB and which DAC does it have? Mine are ver. 1.5. You need a 2mm hex key and Phillips screwdriver to open it up. At least that's what I needed.

OP
R

rajapruk

Forum Donor
Ok!
I will try to check.
Which year are yours from, do you know?

OP
R

rajapruk

Forum Donor
This is the internals of my BSS BLU-BOB2. I do not see any version number.
Is it version 1.2 maybe from 2013-03?

Attachments

• IMG_2328.jpg
    IMG_2328.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 365
Last edited:
OP
R

rajapruk

Forum Donor
@jhaider Anyways, I would love to see your unit measured. If it measures good, I will by one more.

OP
R

rajapruk

Forum Donor
@amirm would you be able to measure a device like a BSS BLU-BOB technically? They only have blu-link input, is that a problem?

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is the internals of my BSS BLU-BOB2. I do not see any version number.
Is it version 1.2 maybe from 2013-03?

Mine have"Hardware v.1.5" on a sticker on the back panel. They both have the same "80-0192-C" board stamp as yours. I don't think the "1303" is a date code. One of mine has "1240" in that spot, and the other does not have any writing at all above the white label.

Which AKM DAC is in yours? I can't tell from your pictures. One of mine uses 4x AKM AK4393VF, the other 4x AKM AK4396VF.

In hifi terms, based on Dr. David Rich's AVR/SSP DAC chart, that puts the BLU-BOB at about the level of the flagship Anthem SSPs.

avr-build-quality-part-1-table-lg.gif

https://hometheaterhifi.com/technical/technical-reviews/options-by-supplier-and-price/

FYI my BLU-50, which has a "46-2016" date on the sticker, uses a single AKM AK5388AEQ ADC and a single AKM AK4413EQ DAC. My BLU-BIB uses a Burr Brown PCM4204 ADC.

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm would you be able to measure a device like a BSS BLU-BOB technically? They only have blu-link input, is that a problem?
Owner is sending me the rest of the bits so that I don't have to use the Blu Link.

OP
R

rajapruk

Forum Donor
Owner is sending me the rest of the bits so that I don't have to use the Blu Link.

Wonderful news for me!
With this level of service, I will up my donation, for sure.

OP
R

rajapruk

Forum Donor
When looking at AKM documentation, AKM AK4393VF is from 2003, and AKM AK4396VF from 2004. Not any "New Kids On The Block" so to speak, but still not as old as NKOTB. More Backstreet Boys territory. But, I would prefer K-pop!

I have sent a question to my contact at BSS about which is the latest hardware version, and which dac-chip is in there.
I have previously asked for detailed measurements from them, but they could not provide that unfortunately.

Last edited:
Top Bottom