• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Bryston Sold

DonH56

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

LTig

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Let's hope the manufactoring workers losing their jobs in Peterborough find another similarly payed job. May be difficult in Corona times :(

blueone

Forum Donor
27 employees... I would have guessed they were bigger than that. Every time I read an employee count at a high end audio company I always think that their market appearance makes them look bigger than they really are.

bigguyca

The Bryston team and their equipment equipment is, and has been, the definition of integrity, excellent performance and rock-solid reliability. Hopefully this will continue under this new ownership.

The passing of Brian Russell last year was sad. The team a Bryston had been together for decades.

The Passing of Brian Russell | Stereophile.com

OP
DonH56

DonH56

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Thread Starter #6
In high-school and college I worked for some audio stores and got to be around a lot of the "big" companies of the day. I was also a little surprised at how small most of them were, often one to a handful of design engineers and a small manufacturing team. I sent my resume to a few, but they weren't hiring new-grads, though I did get a couple of bites and encouragement from people I had actually spoken with. I think I still have the letter from ARC, someplace.

garbulky

Major Contributor
Yeah they are in good hands or at least with good people. Bryston Model T speakers used Axiom Audio components and were up-market versions of the M-100.

Dundas

Forum Donor
I don't think there is any need to refer to Bryston's speakers in the past tense, at least I hope not.
Given the apparent alignment in philosophies it would be interesting to get Amir's take on Axiom's and Bryston's speakers.

Vintage57

Forum Donor
As a brand champion of Bryston products for most of my audio enthusiast years. And as a Canadian I agree with the positive sentiments shown above.
Wishing them every success in the years to come.

Glad to hear it was another small company. I'm sure the Bryston we all know and love won't change too much. My biggest worry with small companies like Bryston or MC2 / XTA is that they're vulnerable to acquisition from giants like Harman or Behringer. When that happens, something always seems to be lost. Little companies are free to do things the way they like. Bryston builds amplifiers the Bryston way. MC2 builds amplifiers the MC2 way. Some of the passion seems to be lost when they get bought and gutted for profit.

Turbosound is merely a shadow of it's former self. Crown hasn't been the same since they were bought by Harman. The Midas of today is a very different Midas from the company that built the XL4. BSS isn't the company they once were. Harman isn't as bad as Music Tribe when it comes to gutting the companies they buy, but they're no angels either.