• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Brutefir for Volumio now supports REW EQ filters

Krunok

Major Contributor
If you prefer to use REW not only as a measurement tool but also as a tool for automatic/manual creation of EQ filters here is what you should do to use those filters with BruteFIR convolution engine for Volumio:

1. Create your filter in REW

REW creation.jpg

2. Export the filter you created using "Export filters impulse response as WAV"

REW filter export_2.jpg

3. Use REWs default settings for export

REW filter export.jpg

4. Copy filters to BruteFIR filter directory

5. Use the following settings in BruteFIR to activate your filters (set input attenuation according to the max gain of your filters):

Brutefir settings.JPG

7. Measure results with REW and, if necessary, correct your filters.

8. Enjoy your music!

Last edited:
OP
Krunok

Krunok

Major Contributor
My plelasure guys. :)

Let me just add that input attenuation in BruteFIR settings must correlate to max boost of the individual filter in REW. I advise you to look at the boost of each filter in both channel to determine max boost as it may be that actual max boost never reached "Individual Max Boost" setting in REW. If actual max boost is lower than that setting than set input attenuation accordingly.

Brutefir settings.JPG

REW creation.jpg

jannek

Hello, if at the REW export settings "normalise samples to peak value" is checked, is another attenuation in Volumio necessary? As far as I understand the REW manual this reduces the filter gains so the peak value is 0 dBFS anyway.
Best regards, jan

Berlyassocial

Forum Donor
Gentlemen
Im already using exported filters in text format from REW in equaliser APO.

Is there any benefit of using exported filters from REW in wav format into convolution in equaliser APO instead.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Gentlemen
Im already using exported filters in text format from REW in equaliser APO.

Is there any benefit of using exported filters from REW in wav format into convolution in equaliser APO instead.
Only that its quicker and easier to import filters which are different for L+R, disadvantage is you need different wavs for different sample rates.

Berlyassocial

Forum Donor
Only that its quicker and easier to import filters which are different for L+R, disadvantage is you need different wavs for different sample rates.

I tried using filters separately for left and right channel. But never worked out well. When i applied the filters this way and measured with umik-1 with filters in place the output was all over the place.

Then i made filters for both channels together and the result was very good after a few adjustments.

Anyways when you say "different wavs for different sample rates" does it mean if im playing 41khz, 44.1khz, 96khz, 192khz files they all will need different wavs to be uploaded into equaliser APO..?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I tried using filters separately for left and right channel. But never worked out well. When i applied the filters this way and measured with umik-1 with filters in place the output was all over the place.
For my room separate L&R room correction below 200 Hz sounds better even if the sum doesn't look as nice, each must find what sounds better for him not what looks better from measurement point of view as our perception is different than a mic.

Anyways when you say "different wavs for different sample rates" does it mean if im playing 41khz, 44.1khz, 96khz, 192khz files they all will need different wavs to be uploaded into equaliser APO..?
Rather depending on the output sampling rate you have chosen for your sound output device, but don't worry, EQ Apo warns you in that case of wrong sampling rate.

Berlyassocial

Forum Donor
rather depending on the output sampling rate you have chosen for your sound output device, but don't worry, EQ Apo warns you in that case of wrong sampling rate.
Thank you so much for your valuable feedback. Its clear now.
Have a great day

Top Bottom