• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bruno Strikes Again. Purifi 1ET7040SA VTV Amplifier.

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Received my Apollon 4-channel Purifi 7040 amp! Let me start by saying that it’s beautifully made. I don’t think anyone else offers custom paint and has such a solid chassis. The high end connectors are also a welcome upgrade over my previous McIntosh MI254 (which was junk - see below). My rack is against the wall and suspended from the ceiling, which makes connections tricky as I have to do them ‘blind’. Having nice solid connectors goes a long way to making the connections in these types of setups.

Being able to customize the paint is another nice touch. The paint quality is very good and I’m happy with the custom color. Since my components come from a variety of manufacturers (e.g., Trinnov, DarTZeel, and Nagra), they don’t look consistent. To mitigate that, I wanted all amplification to look similar, which meant coming close to the DarTZeel’s unique gold and red paint scheme. I knew it would never be a perfect match, largely because the DarTZeel is anodized, but this comes close, especially with the lights down.

Selectable gain is another important feature. Matching gain is crucial to maximize dynamic range in a system with a pre-amp and DAC from different vendors. Setting it to 20.5dB is quite close to the Trinnov amp’s 19dB. If your gain is not matched and optimized among the devices that amplify the signal you are reducing dynamic range to avoid clipping - it’s that simple.

More importantly, how does the amp sound? It’s just been a day, but immediate impressions are great. First of all, the power supply does not buzz like the McIntosh amp did. (McIntosh said it was “normal” and no, it was not audible from the listening position, but it still gave a poor first impression.) Secondly, there is absolutely zero background noise/hiss from my 94dB sensitive speakers. Given the amount of power available from the Purifi 7040 I thought there would be some noise… nope! (And just as Tibor said.)

Overall, I highly recommend Apollon — great products and Tibor is always professional and reachable.

Family photo ;)
That's a lot of ironmongery :)

SamR

Which component is your new amp? And what speakers are you using? Nice setup.
Thanks! It’s been a long journey…
The new Apollon is on top of the Trinnov, at the top of the image. Here are more photos of the amp and the speakers. I custom designed these speakers. They use nearly 100 year old field coil midrange drivers, the RCA1443. The other drivers are modern.
84BA11B3-23B0-4C7C-A986-449215C38FFE.jpeg
AFAA0918-34E2-4264-BE37-7ED2623EBC79.jpeg
8808730C-B8F0-4D3B-81FF-1A6CBD525386.jpeg

bo_knows

Keened

Forum Donor
The wall mounted unit, are those knobs? It looks like they sit in a cut-out so they could rotate: independent driver control and master volume?

But yeah, those speakers!

And those stands! Cutout on the right side for height (and tilt?) adjustment of the horn, and it looks like the bottom cabinet could also tilt in place.

So:

Horn -> Field coil midrange
Brass beveled short-throat horn -> (super? - ) Tweeter
?????? (not sure what you call it, but I think the upper end klipsch user a similar design, still counts as a horn I guess) -> Woofer

EDIT: If I could build all of this from scratch (electronics, woodworking, ironworking, and design) with this level of finish I would consider myself to be a master general craftsman. Gotta a long way to go it seems :oops:

SamR

Thanks for the comments! It’s been a LONG 7+ year journey. I don’t regret it one bit, but I would not do it again.

Wall mounted unit is the crossover. No knobs - those are the capacitors (Duelund CAST). This is the crossover I had before, no larger than a CD case - same exact components and circuit as the new crossover
. Yes, the new crossover sounds dramatically better. Upgrading the crossovers in speakers is one of the best value “mods” you can make.
SteveK New Crossover.jpg

SamR

Each driver can be positioned to optimize time alignment at the listening position. The midrange and upper bass can be angled and the tweeter can be moved forward/back. The tweeter is at ear height.
This is a very important feature that is often overlooked or impossible, especially with large horns. More important perhaps than time alignment is to get all frequencies to converge at the listening position. Otherwise, you won’t feel the intimate scale of say a solo vocalist when required.

All three drivers are considered horns, you are correct @Keened.

There is also an active transmission line sub, pictured below.

Attachments

• 47C4BD10-1C3C-49A1-86EF-3E9C4A9830A6.jpeg
    47C4BD10-1C3C-49A1-86EF-3E9C4A9830A6.jpeg
    328.5 KB · Views: 152

Lord Victor

Are there any news on DIY availability of the higher powered Purifi modules? Patiently waiting for something to build a pair of hight power monoblocks with that can handle difficult loads...

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Are there any news on DIY availability of the higher powered Purifi modules? Patiently waiting for something to build a pair of hight power monoblocks with that can handle difficult loads...
My understanding is that the 1ET7040SA will not be available for diy but that the 1ET9040BA will.

EdW

Well, the question is 'what is a 1ET9040BA'
The BA tells us it is a bridged amplifier.

So my guess for the rest of the designation: the 90 suggests an equivalence to a single ended 90V amplifier? (80 or 85V peak output? - depending on how you call the output of a bridged amplifier). The 40 suggests a peak output current of 40A (same as the 7040 amp). So we might be talking about a 400W/8 Ohm amplifier here.

Bridged operation would allow the use of lower voltage FETs with better ‘on’ characteristics than the FETs used in the single ended amplifiers. So the even higher voltages associated with the increased output would not involve using lower performance high voltage FETs which would require more of them with increased drive difficulty due to increased capacitance with perhaps higher distortion? But bridged operation comes at the expense of doubling up of some of the output circuits.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking forward to this thing being out in the wild! I will have to contain myself though, having already updated from a March Audio 1ET400 to the new March Audio 1ET7040.

bo_knows

Each driver can be positioned to optimize time alignment at the listening position. The midrange and upper bass can be angled and the tweeter can be moved forward/back. The tweeter is at ear height.
This is a very important feature that is often overlooked or impossible, especially with large horns. More important perhaps than time alignment is to get all frequencies to converge at the listening position. Otherwise, you won’t feel the intimate scale of say a solo vocalist when required.

All three drivers are considered horns, you are correct @Keened.

There is also an active transmission line sub, pictured below.
I see some room treatments there, did you make those as well?

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company

jamieT

Hi All,

Since Amirs review of the custom HCx500 last week, I'm now stuck between the 1ET7040SA and NCx500!

For context, I am specifically looking for a 3 channel amp to power B&W 803D2 fronts + HTM2 D3 centre speaker in a 5.1 system (75% AV use vs 25% pure music) in a small form factor.

Nords 3 channel mono design using 3 x 1ET7040A + 3 x 3SMPS1200A400 & nords custom rev D board with 990 op amps.

Apollon 3 channel singe PSU using 3 x 1ET7040A + 1 x SMPS3000A400 (3000w) & Apollon own Input Buffer Board with OPA1612 op amps.

Apollon 3 Channel using 3 x NCx500 with 1x SMPS3000A400 & Apollons own Input Buffer Board with OPA1612 op amps.

When I asked for Apollons opinion they said both NCx500 and 1ET7040A were amazing. The person I spoke with there had a slight bias towards the 1ET7040SA which they said had a little bit better base control, maybe due to the higher damping factor and current/power available. I also messaged Colin from Nord who said the NCx500 was amazing also from his text units, but Nord doesn't have production modules yet to put in a systems.

Questions
1. Any sonic disadvantages to going to single high power PSU over 3 mono PSU?
2. Is anyone aware of a detailed review of the 1ET7040AS as I can't find one! Was hoping Amir might have done one give it's been out for months now? Is there something to hide?

note. I'm only considering European/uk suppliers for geographic reasons. So don't be offended if I'm not listing other brands : )

aaddas

Which preamplifer is matched with purifi amp

Top Bottom