• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bruno Putzeys reaches out to the subjectivists

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another one of those echoey* rooms.

(* OK, I know it's reverberation...)

How lucky he is to have the wireless version of the speaker, otherwise he would have to crawl to the piano.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It turns out that Bruno's pretty good at positive feedback, too:

bpfeedback.png

(+30dB!)

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
I'm not sure I know what to do with this line: "I am often astounded by their quality which renders even the simplest digital file streams into smooth, warm, almost analog-sounding bits of joy."

BillG

Major Contributor
Any thoughts?

From a business perspective, he'd be foolish not to attempt to cross the aisle and appeal to subjectivists. After all, I'd venture a guess that they comprise the vast majority of the market. Meanwhile, he'll come here and answer very technical questions for us, with a smile on his face and a wink of his eye - don't hate the player, hate the game... ;)

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From a business perspective, that's absolutely reasonable. But there is a wider lesson, I feel.

If a moderated approach helps to sell rationally designed hardware to gestalt-based audiophiles, it also helps to sell the rational-design process itself. Anyone who wants to promote objective analysis should think about what Bruno is doing here & why that direction might work.

rodtor

Forum Donor
I see no fundamental conflict between objectivism and subjectivism, it is a false dichotomy.

I would have thought that the distinction, which potentially is indeed a conflict, is between an approach that is scientific and therefore open to empirical testing and another stance that does not adhere to these norms and, sometimes, seems to have no regard for them.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I see no fundamental conflict between objectivism and subjectivism, it is a false dichotomy.
I would have thought that the distinction, which potentially is indeed a conflict, is between an approach that is scientific and therefore open to empirical testing and another stance that does not adhere to these norms and, sometimes, seems to have no regard for them.
Agreed, I find the lines drawn pretty clearly.
JJB70 I really don't understand the logic in your post?

Juhazi

Major Contributor
I hate that childish dichotomy. An dichotomizing in general. It only leads to headless and pointless, endless arguments.

Consumer audio, hifi is supposed to bring enjoyment and relaxation etc., but audioholics seem to get angry when just thinking and reading about hifi!

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a good case that a SINAD of 72db is all that is needed, 12 bits, for the average listener, and 13 bits, 78db for those with superior hearing. I think a lot of the fuss is a numbers race. Just because a $100 DAC can do 105db doesn't mean the entire electronic chain needs that performance, especially when considering typical ambient noise levels and distortion levels of loudspeakers which are rarely less than .1% (60db).

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed, I find the lines drawn pretty clearly.
JJB70 I really don't understand the logic in your post?

As SIY says, subjective is not a synonym for uncontrolled. To go further, we may note objective measurements and also consider aspects such as industrial design, tactile feel, feature set etc when making decisions. If a product meets your performance requirements then the availability of an alternative with superior measured performance may be much less important than whether or not you just like it.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Subjective is not a synonym for “uncontrolled.” The conflation of those two terms in the fashion audio niche has led to very fuzzy thinking.
Well stated. But how do you convince self-identified, convinced Xjectivists that they might benefit from a more balanced approach?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Subjective is not a synonym for “uncontrolled.” The conflation of those two terms in the fashion audio niche has led to very fuzzy thinking.

What is your definition of "subjective"?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Totally depends on your definitions of "objectivism" and "subjectivism". I guess there is more agreement about "objectivism" - people who rely on verified evidence. "Subjectivism" as used in audio is more like solipsism - "if it sounds good to me, it must be good in some general, universal way", or in a simplified form "if I believe A, then A must be true".

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I will use a non audio example. I am an enthusiastic recreational cyclist. I like classic steel frame sets. Objectively I recognise that they are heavier than aluminium and carbon composite alternatives and that in almost all respects the alternatives have superior materials properties. I don't buy steel frames as an act of denial or out of some voodoo mysticism but because I admire the craftsmanship and aesthetic and just derive pleasure from these preferences. What I object to is people hiding behind all sorts of hocus pocus claiming wonderful superior properties rather than just admitting to having a particular personal preference. Of course I also expect the things to meet my performance expectations, my heavy old steel frames allow me to enjoy cycling and not being an elite level pro-am rider for me it is just about enjoying the experience. If I was a competitive rider then yes, I would buy a carbon composite frame which would be fitter for that purpose and objectively better.

In an audio context, once you achieve your threshold of transparency then further improvement is measurable but irrelevant in terms of just enjoying music. I think chasing performance beyond your ability to discern because it measures better is a form of subjectivism. I am not criticising it and I completely get why people chase SOTA measured performance but it is a subjective preference. I have a pair of Sony MDR Z7 headphones, in some ways I would rate them as the worst headphones I own in terms of SQ but they are beautifully made (they urinate all over a lot of much more expensive boutique headphones) and when I am in the mood I enjoy them hugely. I would never make claims of greatness for them but I do say that I like them. Again I think it is about honesty. Buying something just because you like it is just as valid as any other criteria, what is wrong is denying what objective measurements say about performance and engaging in a lot of nonsense to claim something is better in the face of objective analysis.

Just as subjective is not a synonym for uncontrolled so better is not a synonym for nicer in the context of our own preferences.

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How often I have been amazed at the sound quality of a good recording played through a modest system. You really don't have to spend zillions of dollars. (even though I did:rolleyes:) The bottom and top octaves can be dispensed with and most residential rooms aren't that big and you also don't need to reproduce the scream of a jet engine at 130+db. We just like doing that.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I find that I really don't need much of a system at all to become immersed in music and enjoy it. I have been enthralled by great performances replayed on sound bars.

Top Bottom