• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Broken-Can It Be Replaced?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have this nice IEM cable that had the plastic black separator ring break off and now it won't go into any 3.5 mm
20210314_143316.jpg
socket. How hard would it be to replace this plug?

OP
Rottmannash

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As everyone can see I tried to unscrew the barrel but no go.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
^This.
Cut off the old one and solder a new one. I do this to our Presenters' headphones almost weekly. Horrible nasty things those 3.5mm Jacks. I try and replace them with a proper 6mm 1/4" jack whenever I can get away with it.

The cable is often tinsel wrapped round some thread, so a pig to solder, but OK once you've done it enough times

S

OP
Rottmannash

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
thanks for the replies. At least it's possible. Can you guys give me a suggestion where to buy such a plug? I can solder but not sure if something this small is in my wheelhouse but I can try and if I fail-it wasn't working anyway, right?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
thanks for the replies. At least it's possible. Can you guys give me a suggestion where to buy such a plug? I can solder but not sure if something this small is in my wheelhouse but I can try and if I fail-it wasn't working anyway, right?
If it fails you try it again. There are all kinds of 3.5 mm plugs, see locally what you can find. You can even use one from other old/broken cord if you have such somewhere.
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Headphone+Plug+Replacement/40154
Afterwards who knows me by you make your own costume cables.

Last edited:

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a long shot, but maybe you can fill the gap? Maybe wrap some fine thread around until it is filled and then add epoxy to that?

OP
Rottmannash

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a long shot, but maybe you can fill the gap? Maybe wrap some fine thread around until it is filled and then add epoxy to that?
The problem is there's a distortion in the distal part of the proximal piece where the metal has expanded so it's too large to go into a socket.

OP
Rottmannash

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem is there's a distortion in the distal part of the proximal piece where the metal has expanded so it's too large to go into a socket.
You can't just fix that with a blade, or maybe a coring bit or something?

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the plug worked before the ring broke, I'd wrap some dental floss into the gap and spread some plastic glue over the floss to hold it in place. Once set, use a small file to clean up the joint and to file off the raised part so it fits the socket again.

If that doesn't work, the you'll need to replace the plug, but as soldering those thin cables can be a pain, it may be worth trying to fix the broken plug.

S

OP
Rottmannash

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can't just fix that with a blade, or maybe a coring bit or something?
It would have to be ground down.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I always refer to @Wayne A. Pflughaupt 's cable making tutorial for information on soldering and connectors. It is a great resource.

Often, with very small wires like 30AWG or whatever, I find I can strip them with a fingernail and spare all the strands. Depends a bit on the insulation. I get parts from Mouser or Parts Express. Ali express is a good source too if you can wait. My last Mouser order took a couple weeks to come. PE is always super fast, but they are also only a few hundred miles from here.

Top Bottom