• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bring dust cap to original position?

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, one of my sons (punished for life now) decided to push a finger in the dust cap of the wooffer of my ELAC DBR-62

View attachment 150217

:facepalm:

Any success bring this back out? Any tips hints or magic tricks to restore it?
About 12 years ago, my 5 year old son did almost the same thing to a metal woofer on my Thiel CS6. I nearly lost my sh*t. After being assured by the Thiel repair guy that the damage was just cosmetic, I put the grills back on and keep them on to not remind me of the whole situation. Good luck with yours.

JWAmerica

I wish I still had the grills for my towers. The dent in the dust cap of one 15" woofer bugs me to this day. Tape and the vacuum cleaner were unsuccessful. The tape simply removed a bit of paper from the dust cap. I've also read about using a Q-tip and superglue, but I didn't want to risk ripping a hole.

mSpot

You can always hit it with a hairdryer and any little ripples that remain will disappear after popping it out. Not too hot, just enough to soften the dome.
I'm not so sure about that. Heat would also soften the glue and adhesive that attaches the cap.

OP
ezra_s

ezra_s

Forum Donor
About 12 years ago, my 5 year old son did almost the same thing to a metal woofer on my Thiel CS6. I nearly lost my sh*t. After being assured by the Thiel repair guy that the damage was just cosmetic, I put the grills back on and keep them on to not remind me of the whole situation. Good luck with yours.

Yes, one of my first reaction was getting the grills and putting them on, but the speakers look gorgeous without them, I didn't even unpack them when I first opened the speaker box.

Top Bottom