• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Post some nice examples of tracks with elevated/"exaggerated" trebles. Some that you feel sound too bright on a neutral speakers/headphones and can become "problematic/annoying" on those with treble emphasis. Material sometimes referred to in reviews like "already bright tracks".

OP
pavuol

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't have many such tracks archived, just to give an initial example, the next track sounds bright on my EQ "neutralised" Beyers' DT990, with stock tuning I'm sure the sound will be unbearable to many people. (though I'm not among them ;), of course not on high volume..)
[maybe not a traditional "audiophile" test track/genre, sorry :p]

Lifelover - Lethargy

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The low treble seemed even more tipped up on the original LP mastering. You could literally hear tape his through the whole album. This remastering fixed the worst of it. Exacerbated by the huge contributions of the percussionist. It’s not really bright and grating like tipped-up upper mids. It’s just. . . too . . much. . . treble. :)

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I don't have many such tracks archived, just to give an initial example, the next track sounds bright on my EQ "neutralised" Beyers' DT990, with stock tuning I'm sure the sound will be unbearable to many people. (though I'm not among them ;), of course not on high volume..)

Lifelover - Lethargy

this is what happens when the mixing engenier has long hair covering the ears lol

OP
pavuol

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One to "brighten" your day.. :)
Ten years after - I'm going home (Don't treat me wrong - live 1969)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Boston's eponymous/debut album.
When it was new (ahem a long time ago) -- we had a black cat called The Bear.
The Bear used to like to sit with me and listen to music. She was not very particular... except... if I put on Boston, she would go elsewhere for the duration.

It was truly an ear-gouger, at least on vinyl. Columbia, in those days, put out a number of pop/rock records that were pretty screechy. :(

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Lifelover - Lethargy
1612645440534.png

Geert

Major Contributor
Almost every country song.
And female vocal jazz song. The problem is the producers are really pushing it to the limits, so if your speakers only have the slightest treble boost, 1dB is enough, it immediately turns into a problem. A good reason to also eq speakers above the Schroeder frequency.

Bamboszek

Two first albums of post-rock band Explosions in the Sky are my benchmarks for high frequencies reproduction. Especially track Greet Death. Lots of cymbals which could sound too sharp on poor systems.
You can hear huge effect of YT compression here, CD version is much better.
Greet Death - YouTube

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Lowering the volume makes the track tolerable. One does wonder what speakers/EQ target curve were used to mix and master it.

NS10s

12015129_1040819962628752_3170608616230976285_o.jpg

it's not bright imo, it's just that there is too much plucking noise on that chinese instrument. it would probably sound better with a dynamic mic, not a sensetive condenser

Last edited:

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
NS10s

12015129_1040819962628752_3170608616230976285_o.jpg

it's not bright imo, it's just that there is too much plugging noise on that chinese instrument. it would probably sound better with a dynamic mic, not a sensetive condenser

NS10... eh. But maybe you meant "plucking"? I would have preferred higher DR for this type of large ensemble music. It's all too loud.

Top Bottom