• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Brief Overview of Some HDMI Audio Extractors

ascorbyl

If this is in the wrong forum, please do move it to the right place. :)

Since Google pulled the plug on the Chromecast Audio, I decided to order a few different HDMI audio extractors to see how they would be as a replacement by using them in conjunction with a regular Chromecast. I only tested using Spotify, and not video sources such as a movie or a TV show, so there may be video lag introduced by these units.

I ordered 3 of them from Amazon, and have outlined my thoughts on them below.
  • https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07BHKHP7P/
    • analog output has quite a bit of noticeable noise at loud listening levels
    • optical output works fine
    • did not test the coaxial digital output (but this is the only unit I bought that has a coaxial digital output)
    • plugging or unplugging the HDMI cable will cause a pop in the analog out, and stop playback for a couple seconds (seems normal across all three units)
    • HDMI output works fine
    • no HDMI pass-through
  • https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07D7YR1NR/
    • analog output has a very quiet noise at very loud listening levels
    • didn't test optical out, but light was on and should be fine
    • HDMI did not work on my unit, so wasn't able to test the HDMI pass-through either
    • was able to get power via the HDMI port through my Chromecast... not sure if this is normal behaviour
  • https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07GZHPS6C/
    • analog out has no noticeable noise (hiss from my receiver is louder than any noise from the actual unit itself)
    • didn't test optical out, but light was on and should be fine
    • has air vents on the sides
    • comes with 2 additional cables: 5ft optical cable, male 3.5mm to female RCA adapter
    • has just HDMI input on one side (looks cleaner IMO)
    • HDMI output works fine
    • no pass-through option

I think most, if not all, of these units are re-branded Chinese units. Number 3 I'm unsure about since I haven't seen other listings of it on Amazon.

I ended up using the 3rd one, due to the noise-free analog out, clean look, and air vents on the side. I don't feel the need to spend any extra cash to get a lower noise floor.

Last edited:

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think I have the second one you link. It has a tendency to cause video lag when trying to pass 1080p sources as well.

gvl

Major Contributor
Does the regular Chromecast resample Spotify to 48kHz or possibly higher?

Willem

Major Contributor
My DAC tells me that the Spotify output through the CCA is 44.1 kHz. Tunin internet radio comes in at 48kHz

Willem

Major Contributor
Will have to figure out how to use the Spotify app for that streamer/my TV. If and when I stream Spotify I use the CCA.

OP
A

ascorbyl

Will have to figure out how to use the Spotify app for that streamer/my TV. If and when I stream Spotify I use the CCA.

Should be exactly the same as the CCA as far as I know, but you might need to use the optical output from your TV I guess. Thanks for testing!

tlr

I wonder if you could use these with a Raspberry Pi instead of a Chromecast. The Raspberry Pi Zero W is only $10.

BillG

Major Contributor
I've been thinking about such a solution for myself, if my CcA every dies, and I can't obtain another at a reasonable price.

Thanks... ;)

Top Bottom