• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Brendan Fraser and The Whale

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Brendan Fraser rightly won the Oscar for best actor last night. I watched The Whale last weekend. The movie and Fraser's acting moved me tremendously. The director, Darren Aronofsky, and writer, Samuel D. Hunter, should have shared in the accolades. Aronofsky and Hunter expertly manipulated the audience's emotions throughout from disgust to empathy to pity to joy to sadness. I loved the film, the characters, and the story. It was utterly brilliant. I cannot recommend it more.

Martin

Last edited:

julian_hughes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Choose the salad. No dressing. OK I'm being an a-hole. This Darren Aronofsky is the guy who made Pi and Requiem for a Dream? I'll try anything he makes. Pi was amazing! It still feels vivid in my mind all these years later.

OP
Martin

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Big night for indie studio A24, too. Nine Oscars between The Whale and Everything Everywhere All at Once.

Everything Everywhere All At Once was very good, too. I watched it on a flight several months ago. Crazy, wacky movie with a touching story. I hadn’t realized the actor who played her husband was Short Round when I saw it. I’ve loved Michelle Yeoh in everything she’s been in since I first saw her in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Martin

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I’ve loved Michelle Yeoh in everything she’s been in since I first saw her in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

She was pretty good in Tomorrow Never Dies as Wai Lin, three years earlier. :)

iu

iu

D

Deleted member 48726

The Whale is surely on my watch list! I love Brendan Fraser and he deserves all good coming to him.

Herbert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have read the script and will pass. The biggest problem to me that the film claims a drama that is simply not there, Why? Because the main character has a choice throughout the plot but this is swept under the rug. There is no terminal illness that forces Charlie to reconcile with his daughter. There is no need to binge eat over the suicidal death of a lover, one could also be angry. And any sensible person would lough at
guilt inflicted by fundamental christians. The weak foundation of the whole story is astonishing, almost ubelievable that this started a play. One could even get that far to state that Charlie is an egomanic idiot who left his daughter twice, and even needs to die in front of her. Thank you, daddy. Also the storyline with Thomas reads sour, the character is cliched.

Last edited:
Top Bottom