• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Breeze TPA3255 XLR Balanced Amplifier TearDown : DIP8 Op Amps.

dfuller

Major Contributor
A couple things...

1. Op amps are designed to run with a huge amount of feedback. This on its own will even out the differences between op amps quite a bit. That is, of course, assuming that they're compatible with that circuit - just having the same pinout does not mean that they are an optimal choice. It's not impossible for "better" op amps (e.g. OPA2134s) to not work well in circuits designed for "worse" op amps (e.g. TL072), and don't get me started on using a bipolar input chip in place of a FET input chip - there's no way that won't cause differences because you're throwing the input impedance out of whack.
2. About the only "better for audio than IC" discrete op amp I know of is the 990 design - at least if we're talking just in terms of fidelity. It's both got excellent noise and distortion performance and truckloads of gain on tap, and as such is an excellent choice for mic preamps. The API 2520 and its brethren are also a great design - if you want the distortion characteristics they provide (they're not very clean by modern standards, at all).

Speaking with two DAC engineers (and looking at as technical of data I can handle), it seems you can run endless feedback loops and filters to make them perfect, from a SINAD perspective. However, you are actually losing source data/micro details in the process. I am told you also alter timbre.
I'm sorry, but that just isn't true. Feedback linearizes the transfer function - meaning that it brings the output signal closer to the input. If anything, it should improve "microdetail" by lowering distortion. As for altered timbre, again, no - feedback evens out frequency response differences.

pinocembrin

Hi,

The stock amp is really good but these little mods improve the sound undoubtedly but I think the main update lies in the change of OP amps.
Less harshness in the treble, better definition of the bass, an excellent soundstage, mediums are also a bit more natural. The amp remains totally silent even with its volume at maximum. The OPA2210 is a jewel ! I tested the OPA1622, OPA1612, OPA1656, OPA1692... The OPA2210 definitely worth trying as I said before ! (I sent a pair to another forum member to get his opinion as well)
In any case, do not embark on this adventure without having good welding skills. Pay attention to the diameters of the caps and especially to their height limited by the case.
Hi,
Do you know any place that sells OPA2210? It seems to be out of stock at every major distributor.
Texas Instruments list them as "Drop-in replacement with upgraded functionality" for my existing OPA2227's.
Thanks

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Hi,
Do you know any place that sells OPA2210? It seems to be out of stock at every major distributor.
Texas Instruments list them as "Drop-in replacement with upgraded functionality" for my existing OPA2227's.
Thanks

I have some genuine opa2210 and other in stock in DIP8 socket ready to use. But only I can ship in Europe only

Smitty2k1

Is this Breeze TPA3255 a good choice as a power amp for my front mains from my AVRs pre-outs? Any other amp I should consider based on this chip or similar in the $200-$300 range?

fabien32

Hi
Do you still recommend it For someone who doesn't know to fix the faze and upgrades ?

SMen

Does anybody know if earthing on the speaker outlets is fixed given that this is a balanced class D amplifier?
This is in the context of running a subwoofer (REL type) through it's high level inputs. I've been doing this for years with phonos connected and the volume turned down for the low level phono input on other class d amps.

REL talk about it here.

Just wondering if, with this being balanced it might be different, or if there is a way to 'connect to ground' directly with the high level ground wire ... safely that is...

v1adpetrov2

Hi amigos,

I finished my mods, here MY UPDATES (all components come from Mouser / Digikey) :

- updated the OPA2210 in DIP8 (genuine from Mouser)
- changed the 4X SMD Caps Power caps 470uf / 50V > Nichicon Audio Grade UKW1H471MHD 50V / 470UF (12.5mm x 20mm)
- changed the SMD Caps next to the OP amps = 220uf / 16V >Nichicon Audio grade UCQ1C221MCL1GS 16V /220UF (8mm x 10.8mm)
- Insulated the Power cables from PSU to Module
- Add ferrites on Speakers cables
- The neutral and the phase 220V cables were reversed... I corrected it )
- Twisted the 220V AC cables
- Added a copper film around the PSU transformer

First picture = stock amp

Dear daniboun.
You have not fixed all the build errors of the Chinese manufacturer.
Your photos show that the polarity of the output to the speaker of the right channel is mixed up.
If you have not corrected this defect, then the speakers are now playing in the opposite phase.
BRZHIFI_Balanced_(TPA3255)_012_(error).jpg

SMen

Dear daniboun.
Your photos show that the polarity of the output to the speaker of the right channel is mixed up.
If you have not corrected this defect, then the speakers are now playing in the opposite phase.
View attachment 232997
Actually, it looks to me as though it is just the cable color that is wrong, as both positives are to the right, and negatives to the left, if you look at the external picture (vice-versa). Perhaps Daniboun can confirm. Hopefully as I just ordered one.

v1adpetrov2

Actually, it looks to me as though it is just the cable color that is wrong, as both positives are to the right, and negatives to the left, if you look at the external picture (vice-versa). Perhaps Daniboun can confirm.
You're a little wrong:
BRZHIFI_Balanced_(TPA3255)_013_(error).jpg

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Dear daniboun.
View attachment 232997

I can"t check but not sure that what is shown on the PCB is correct....
Would be interesting to see anyway.... but I don't have it anymore.

Thanks for your picture ) helpful

ICIETDIYEUR

People Hi :)

@ daniboun

I'm French too and i have some questions about the BRZHIFI TPA3255 XLR.

How can i contact you by a sort of 'MP' here ?

I'm trying to do this but i can't :(

Regards.

Last edited:

ICIETDIYEUR

It's about 5 points on your modifications on your amp ->

BRZHIFI TPA3255 XLR.jpg

ICIETDIYEUR

Some people says that the polarity of the output to the speaker of the right channel is mixed up.

So, it's impossible on the new version, look a the mine ->

A.jpg

B.jpg

They are direct to the PCB ;)

Last edited:
OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Hello daniboun :)

I'm French too and i have some questions about the BRZHIFI TPA3255 XLR.

How can i contact you by a sort of 'MP' here ?

I'm trying to do this but i can't :(

Regards.

Hi,

Will send you a private message

ICIETDIYEUR

Thanks ;)

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Get this one, crazy ratio performance / price
I haven't had the occasion to use mine for multi-pin IC solder/desolder.
Variable temperature feature works great for heat-shrink though.
Obviously your results tell me that you've had previous experience in 'hot-air'... soldering that is!:)
What temperature setting have you found that works properly?
Just-in-case...

Last edited:

ICIETDIYEUR

Some people make this sort of thing ->

1.jpg

I don't like this but they are another things to do the same work ->

2.jpg

C.jpg

You can found this -> HERE <-

Cool, no ?

;)

Last edited:

ICIETDIYEUR

@ daniboun

Here is a photo of your amp ->

Repérages composants a modifier.jpg

Regarding the 1 marker on the photo of your amp:

Why did you replace the original capacitors with chemicals when the datasheet indicate that the PVDD capacitors should be low ESR type because they are used in a circuit associated with high-speed switching ?
Also, the possibility of soldering these capacitors at this place is only possible on the surface it seems which limits their choice in size, especially in diameter and to my knowledge in 50 volts there are no polymer capacities greater than 470μ and it is also not possible to put a greater capacity with chemicals in this amp.
What drives your choice to choose chemicals and especially this model that only supports 85 ° C instead of 105 ° C polymers which reduces the reliability of the device in a way ?

Top Bottom