• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Breeze TPA3255 XLR Balanced Amplifier TearDown : DIP8 Op Amps.

dfuller

Major Contributor
A couple things...

1. Op amps are designed to run with a huge amount of feedback. This on its own will even out the differences between op amps quite a bit. That is, of course, assuming that they're compatible with that circuit - just having the same pinout does not mean that they are an optimal choice. It's not impossible for "better" op amps (e.g. OPA2134s) to not work well in circuits designed for "worse" op amps (e.g. TL072), and don't get me started on using a bipolar input chip in place of a FET input chip - there's no way that won't cause differences because you're throwing the input impedance out of whack.
2. About the only "better for audio than IC" discrete op amp I know of is the 990 design - at least if we're talking just in terms of fidelity. It's both got excellent noise and distortion performance and truckloads of gain on tap, and as such is an excellent choice for mic preamps. The API 2520 and its brethren are also a great design - if you want the distortion characteristics they provide (they're not very clean by modern standards, at all).

Speaking with two DAC engineers (and looking at as technical of data I can handle), it seems you can run endless feedback loops and filters to make them perfect, from a SINAD perspective. However, you are actually losing source data/micro details in the process. I am told you also alter timbre.
I'm sorry, but that just isn't true. Feedback linearizes the transfer function - meaning that it brings the output signal closer to the input. If anything, it should improve "microdetail" by lowering distortion. As for altered timbre, again, no - feedback evens out frequency response differences.

pinocembrin

Hi,

The stock amp is really good but these little mods improve the sound undoubtedly but I think the main update lies in the change of OP amps.
Less harshness in the treble, better definition of the bass, an excellent soundstage, mediums are also a bit more natural. The amp remains totally silent even with its volume at maximum. The OPA2210 is a jewel ! I tested the OPA1622, OPA1612, OPA1656, OPA1692... The OPA2210 definitely worth trying as I said before ! (I sent a pair to another forum member to get his opinion as well)
In any case, do not embark on this adventure without having good welding skills. Pay attention to the diameters of the caps and especially to their height limited by the case.
Hi,
Do you know any place that sells OPA2210? It seems to be out of stock at every major distributor.
Texas Instruments list them as "Drop-in replacement with upgraded functionality" for my existing OPA2227's.
Thanks

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi,
Do you know any place that sells OPA2210? It seems to be out of stock at every major distributor.
Texas Instruments list them as "Drop-in replacement with upgraded functionality" for my existing OPA2227's.
Thanks

I have some genuine opa2210 and other in stock in DIP8 socket ready to use. But only I can ship in Europe only

Smitty2k1

Is this Breeze TPA3255 a good choice as a power amp for my front mains from my AVRs pre-outs? Any other amp I should consider based on this chip or similar in the $200-$300 range?

fabien32

Hi
Do you still recommend it For someone who doesn't know to fix the faze and upgrades ?

Top Bottom