• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Breeze Audio" ES9038 ES9038PRO DAC

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Someone is sending one of these to me once he gets it.

Wow.... That's gonna be awesome !!

Would be great to find out if its a value preposition leader or a false dawn ... :)

devil_bik

Breeze Audio” actually is a brand of the chassis . There are many small sized audio companies (or diy workshop ) in mainland of China sell their audio products in taobao.com without remarking these chassis . Once you see this "breeze audio" chassis it must be a workshop that pays no attention to their own brand , and of cource even less to the quality of the build and sound . I recommend to bypass these products. I am a Chinese living in the mainland of China.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Breeze Audio” actually is a brand of the chassis . There are many small sized audio companies (or diy workshop ) in mainland of China sell their audio products in taobao.com without remarking these chassis . Once you see this "breeze audio" chassis it must be a workshop that pays no attention to their own brand , and of cource even less to the quality of the build and sound . I recommend to bypass these products. I am a Chinese living in the mainland of China.
I was always wondering about that. Thanks for clarifying it.

DKT88

I just joined this forum. I appreciate the great technical work you are doing. I looked at the Breeze Audio store on Aliexpress and noticed that they are saying: we will continue to use the" Breeze Audio" logo on the products, also "Weiliang Audio" logo will be used on the new products.
'Weiliang Audio"="Breeze Audio"
Not saying this is correct but it is their claim.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
well, so far from cheap Chines 9038 designs, only Khadas Tone Board proved itself. Did anyone contact them about fixing ESS hump?

Toni71

I am also very curious about the measurements off this Breeze (Weiliang) boards. Also the DC-100 version.
Hello, Carl. U live in China for now?

carlmart

No, I live in Brazil. My name is Carlos.

The DC100 is a DAC, not an amplifier. And is not exclusive of Breeze, as you can see at the beginning of this thread.

The DAC board is sold separately too. Hopefully amirm will test it soon.

Toni71

Okay, i thought u were someone else.
I know its not an amplifier, and i think the designer from the (particular) DC-100 is Weiliang. Not Breeze audio indeed.
Some other pcb`s from other designers floating around also ( quit different layout).
I have both the single and dual version boards DC-100. The blue pcb.
Now there is a new version , from this designer. With a black pcb, and bluetooth.
If the blue pcb measures good, maybe i buy the newer version.
I know they 'sound' good here. But thats subjective.

I am no technician , so i am very happy with all the measurements already on equipment (thanks Amir).
An eye opener.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 581
Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
This brand is no hope. Btw d50s measurement is on. You don't need these kind of crap.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
HI

While a brand is not a guarantee of performance it is at least an anchoring point in the marketing story a company has to tell. When the brand is so diluted what can we make of performance consistency? IOW that performance remains the same (or reasonably close) from sample to sample? My advice would be to stay away from those as per post #63

Toni71

Because of this forum, i will not buy such a board.
I like the measurements on the dacs. So i am buying a dac with good measurements.
I like the Topping brand. So i am waiting (discount) and saving some money for the D70.
Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:

FireLion

I know a guy bought the AK4490 version and said it sounded great. I have awful interference on two out of three amps with a khadas tone board.

Toni71

I have such a board from China. The earlier double AK4497eq board. A blue version board.
It does sound good.
But i would rather have something with proofen measurement, and be done with it.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I know a guy bought the AK4490 version and said it sounded great. I have awful interference on two out of three amps with a khadas tone board.

"Great sounding" is completely subjective.

I have a friend who absolutely adores his tube amp stereo setup played out a mid 90's Marantz CD player/ tuner and some old NAD floor standing speakers Out of curiosity, I asked to have a listening session.

To my utter shock, I was bathed in a cacophony of bass and what sounds like "warm" distortion to my ears.

Was it "great sounding" ? Definitely to my friend but definitely NOT for me. But I can somewhat understand why he likes it, the recordings he listens to are generally quite badly done, loads of bad mastering to the point of sounding shrill if I played them via my PC cd player and out through my DAC. That bass and "warm"distortion somewhat smooths out the issues ....

The RME ADI-2 runs off the AK4490, and by most accounts it "sounds clean", but I have also heard a no-name chinese DAC running off it, to my ears, through a HE4XX headphone, it somehow sounds "syrupy" to my ears run through a Matrix HPA-3B as compared to my no-name ES9038Pro based DAC. They should sound the same or similar but I suspect the end-stage implementation differences had a big impact on the overall output signature too.

Its subjective, so you can't really compare them unless you have actually put them side by side with identical peripherals and identical reference points.

Veri

Master Contributor
JDS Labs actually predicted this: https://blog.jdslabs.com/2018/11/jds-labs-atom-amp-official-release-benchmarks/#comment-22949
They say for headphones they see no problem, but there is a potential grounding problem with khadas + speakers.
Otherwise they might have taken the OEM board and made a DAC out of it. Like March did.

WHO23

Forum Donor
JDS Labs actually predicted this: https://blog.jdslabs.com/2018/11/jds-labs-atom-amp-official-release-benchmarks/#comment-22949
They say for headphones they see no problem, but there is a potential grounding problem with khadas + speakers.
Otherwise they might have taken the OEM board and made a DAC out of it. Like March did.
Thanks for the post. I've been trying to figure out a grounding hum issue with my speaker system which uses a Tone Board connected to Schiit Saga+ Pre-Amp. I'll try switching out the DAC.

DeepSpace57

Check This out. A guy also reviewed this against SU-8.

I noticed whatever you purchase its measurements like thd+n, snr remains the same.

Top Bottom